Thread: Thawing Glacier, GOmnath

May 2007
    Rochester

Thawing Glacier, GOmnath

I wanted to make a deck with pure mana ramp for fun. Nothing better to use than Omnath to beat face. Any suggestions for card choices are welcomed. Built for casual multiplayer.

There is a lot of cards to search out thawing glaciers
    (Crop rotation, Primeval Titan) and abuse it (Amulet of Vigor, Deserted Temple). Thawing glacier is one of my favorite cards! I love it. Here is the deck:

OMNATH, LOCUS OF MANA

Creatures

Terrastodon
    Avenger of Zendikar
    Scavenging Ooze
    Eternal Witness
    Primeval Titan
    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
    Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
    Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
    Yavimaya Elder
    Oracle of Mul Daya
    Patron of the Orochi
    Seedborn Muse
    Panglacial Wurm
    Hornet Queen

Artifacts

Memory Jar
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Predator, Flagship
    Mind's Eye
    Whispersilk Cloak
    Expedition Map
    Caged Sun
    Doubling Cube
    Crucible of Worlds
    Extraplanar Lens
    Sol Ring
    Gauntlet of Power
    Vedalken Orrery

Enchantments
    Sylvan Library
    Awakening
    Burgeoning
    Exploration
    Mana Reflection
    Khalni Heart Expedition
    Heartbeat of Spring
    Vernal Bloom
    Mirri's Guile

Sorceries
    Cultivate
    Explosive Vegetation
    Far Wanderings
    Kodama's Reach
    Tooth and Nail
    Nature's Lore
    New Frontiers
    Collective Voyage
    Search for Tomorrow
    Skyshroud Claim
    Three Visits
    Reap and Sow
    Scapeshift
    Sylvan Scrying
    Harmonize
    Praetor's Counsel
    Into the North
    Green Sun's Zenith
    Genesis Wave

Instants
    Realms Uncharted
    Crop Rotation
    Momentous Fall
    Chord of Calling

Planeswalkers
    Garruk, Primal Hunter

Lands
    25 Snow-covered Forest
    Deserted Temple
    Dust Bowl
    Maze of Ith
    Miren, The Moaning Well
    Misty Rainforest
    Mystifying Maze
    Scrying Sheets
    Thawing Glacier
    Verdant Catacombs
    Vesuva
    Windswept Heath
    Wooded Foothills
    Winding Canyons
    Dark Depths
    Petrified Field

P.S. I could put in removal but what to cut? It may dilute the awesomeness of having a focused deck. Also, i I would add links to cards but don't know how.[EDIT:Thank you I know how now.]
    Last edited by Guy I Don't Know; 07-22-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Update

Is not Goyf
    Jan 2005
    California

Re: Thawing Glacier, GOmnath

The deck looks like a lot of awesome! I bet you get a lot of lands in to play over the course of the game. Looked over the deck briefly, but Momentous Fall is really good when you have a really big Omnath that about to die. You'll need a Reliquary Tower simply to hold all the cards. Not sure what good options you might have but you might want to look in to instant mana sinks in case Omnath dies because it would be a real shame to waste all that green mana (Squall Line?).

You could also add cards like Vedalken Orrery or Winding Canyons so you could recast Omnath the turn it dies. This way, you could still save the rest of your green mana.

You add tags to your cards by putting (cards) <Block of cards you want tags> (/cards). Be sure to replace the ( ) with these brackets [ ].

Crimson King

Jan 2008

Actually Momentous Fall reads: 2GG, Instant, You lose the game. Omnath lists tend to ramp to absurd amounts of mana, and I mean really really absurd. Drawing 100+++ cards doesn't sound too awesome does it^^

the trick is to spend that extra seventy mana, THEN draw 30 cards

May 2007
    Rochester

Wow, I really like the flash concept! Momentous fall seems really good. If I have it in hand and I have Omnath in play, I will make sure not to make him too big.

I made some changes to the deck based on suggestions.

+1 Into the North
    +1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
    +1 Vedalken Orrery
    +1 Momentous Fall
    +1 Winding Canyons
    +1 Reliquary Tower

-1 Veteran Explorer
    -1 Seedguide Ash
    -1 Journeyer's Kite
    -1 Tooth and Nail
    -2 Snow-covered Forest

Here are some possible inclusions of cards I am thinking about. If you have suggestions please help decide what to take out too.

Defense of the Heart
    Tooth and Nail
    Natural Order
    Green Sun's Zenith

I would most likely search for primeval titan and Vorinclex. While they are good, they are off theme, and not optimized.

Vernal Equinox
    Aluren

They allow me to replay Omnath and keep mana. They may be better than Swiftfoot Boots and Lightning Greaves. I was thinking that they were awesome until i remembered Oblivion Stone, Nevinryaal's Disk, etc. kill Omnath and these so you can't replay Omnath.

Nevinyrral's Disk
    Oblivion Stone
    All is Dust
    Forcefield

Help you not die but don't fit the theme...

Woodland Guidance
    Mark of Sakiko
    Rampant Growth
    Bear Umbra
    Sword of Feast and Famine

These are on theme cards rely on creatures or don't know what to cut for.

Asceticism
    Whispersilk Cloak

Help protect Omnath, are they needed or better than Greaves/Swiftboots?

Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    Tower of Fortunes
    Greater Good

Draw cards, beat face, what's not to like. Drawing cards is great but big dudes other than Omnath is not, so unsure. This is a great bribery target, and there are not many others.

Veteran Explorer
    Seedguide Ash
    Journeyer's Kite

These are great, but are slow to provide benefit.

Dark Depths

Searchable with Into the North and is a mana sink for Omnath.

Sep 2010
    MNL

What about Rites of Flourishing?

Is not Goyf
    Jan 2005
    California

Glad you liked my suggestions! Here are my thoughts on your possible inclusions:

Defense of the Heart - I am not a big fan of this card. Players who are smart will never allow this card to trigger.
    Natural Order - I don't think you have enough creatures to sacrifice in your deck.
    Tooth and Nail - Staple.
    Green Sun Zenith - I love this card since it's so flexible. It's useful early (Rofellos) or late (Primeval).

Cards you might have forgotten to get Primeval and Vorinclex more often:
    Summoner's Pact - Tutor and play Primeval on the same turn!
    Fierce Empath - One of my pet cards that not everyone seems to know about. Early game can tutor up Krosan Tusker

I am not a fan of the symmetry of Aluren and Vernal Equinox especially since you can't abuse them to their maximum potential.

Of the cards you listed, I think Whispersilk Cloak definitely deserves a spot. It really sucks when Omnath is really big but just can't connect. I also think Dark Depth is a stroke of genius. A 20/20 Flying indestructible is a real win condition and you'll win the respect of your table working to get it the hard way. You shouldn't give up on your Seedguide Ash just yet. When it dies, it's essentially a permanent Guilded Lotus. While it's a live, it's a Moat.

Hope this helps,
    - Tog

May 2007
    Rochester

I will add Tooth and Nail and Green Sun's Zenith back in. I think Dark Depths and Whispersilk Cloak are good too. I am thinking of taking out Burgeoning, Exploration, Azusa, Gaea's Touch, Lightning Greaves, and Swiftfoot boots. I can put in some threats like hornet queen and avenger of zendikar as well as tooth and nail and GSZ.

A few cards I am considering are Night Soil, Scavenging Ooze, Riftsweeper, and Jester's Cap. Most decks I play against have Time Stretch, Necropotence, or rely on their general. I think Scavenging Ooze will make it because he can be big and deals with graveyards. the others may be too unfun to include. I am going to add Garruk, Primal Hunter too I think, draws cards and makes blockers!

The main thing I am wondering is if the extra land drops are good enough. I won't be drawing 2+ cards a turn so without thawing glacier they are meh and with they are decent. Rite of Flourishing seems good, if it wasn't for that group hug ability...

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

The green hideaway land is pretty sick with Omnath :)
    Team FireBrothers

Since you don't seem to mind symmetry in your doubling effects, consider Keeper of Progenitus. Also, are the fetch-lands just in there for Top? They seem to limit the number of Forests you can pull from your deck with Thawing Glaciers and you already run plenty of other shuffle effects.

May 2007
    Rochester

-1 Solemn Simulacrum
    -1 Swiftfoot Boots
    -1 Lightning Greaves

Both equipments are good to protect Omnath but I think there are better ways to protect Omnath that also help him get through. Solemn isn't the best land search available and I think is one of the weaker cards in the deck.

+1 Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
    +1 Whispersilk Cloak
    +1 Predator, Flagship

Kamahl can give Omnath trample and prevent people from using mass removal by threatening to destroy all their lands. Whispersilk Cloak makes Omnath unblockable as well as protecting him. While Predator Flagship doesn't protect Omnath, it allows him to fly over as well as being able to destroy creatures.

-1 Horn of Greed
    -1 Amulet of Vigor
    -1 Gaea's Touch
    -1 Life from the Loam
    -1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking

This isn't a dedicated Turboland deck with howling mine effects so these cards where less useful than expected. I cut Gaea's Touch and Azusa because I think Exploration and Burgeoning are better because they come down early. Life from the Loam, Amulet of Vigor and Horn of Greed didn't win games outright.

+1 Tooth and Nail
    +1 Green Sun's Zenith
    +1 Avenger of Zendikar
    +1 Hornet Queen
    +1 Scavenging Ooze

Having a creature package is nice, gives back up plan to omnath as well as allowing for graveyard removal. I haven't played Avenger of Zendikar, Hornet Queen, or Scavenging Ooze and I am excited to play them!

-1 Scroll Rack
    -1 Magus of the Candelabra
    -1 Reliquary Tower

These seem subpar/unnecessary. I don't see these having a big impact on game. Reliquary Tower is good but only a few cards will give me more than 7 in hand, and I will usually have lots of mana to play the cards at that point.

+1 Eternal Witness
    +1 Garruk, Primal Hunter
    +1 Genesis Wave

Adding some card advantage seems like a good idea :)

-3 Snow-Covered Forest

I think 42 lands is too much so I am going down to 40 lands.

+1 Dark Depths
    +1 Chord of Calling
    +1 Petrified Field

Chord of Calling and Dark Depths are mana sinks for Omnath. Petrified Field can be tutored to get back a key land. Seems better than Life from the Loam with the amount of land search.
    Last edited by Guy I Don't Know; 07-22-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Fix Links

May 2007
    Rochester

The Hideaway land does look good!. It may be a little overkill so I think I will see if I have enough Forests, or if I can spare to cut another one. If I can, I will add it in. Keeper of Progenitus looks good. What to cut, hmmm... that's the hard part.

The fetchlands are for Mirri's Guile, Top, Sylvan Library, Crucible of Worlds, and Oracle of Mul daya. I think they are good. If I take out Crucible I could see making them Snow-covered Forests.

Thread Information