Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: [EDH] Arcum Dagsson - Prison Tinkerer

Re: [EDH] Arcum Dagsson - Prison Tinkerer

I dont play any of those - even karn.

The problem with bomby artifact creatures is that it's difficult to cheat them into play and so if you're playing one either you have infinite mana and you've won the game already or youre randomly like "7 mana - time to jam a memnarch" which just seems terrible.

I was serious about the lattice disk forge thing. I would still play oblivion stone because it's nice to have a bullet effect like that, but lattice and forge literally do nothing outside of that derpy combo that I never ever try and go for.

Also I'm definitely going to play cavern of souls in this, just to make arcum uncounterable.

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

I was playing combination of Darksteel Forge, Mycosynth Lattice, Nevynirrals disk and even Platinum angel with boots.

blue...

Transmute Artifact
    Reshape
    Grand architect
    Master Transmuter

Copper gnomes

Those cards with some blue control help me to cheat some of this stuff into play. The problem was that most cards in this combination cannot be replaced with any other card which has similar effect. There are no such cards.. Only tutoring with very strong control was viable.

I found that reshape and transmute are fine but mainly you use them to get combo pieces, no sundering titan.

Show and tell effects are ok but to get fat awkward artifacts out of ny hand id rather use scroll rack or brainstorm or artificers intuition etc.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Some light feedback after an EDH night with the new metagame.

Going to start with mrjumbo's list and work with it, but will be adding some anti-hate slots as well. Opposing Pithing Needle/Phyrexian Revoker was really good against this deck. Going to start with Wipe Away and/or Echoing Truth to help with that. I missed Trinket Mage dearly because I hadn't added him in yet, but I want him + Artificer's Intuition ASAP. Will also be adding some GY hate (metagame choice), which will start at Tormod's Crypt (recurrable with Academy Ruins), and Grafdigger's Cage.

Also considering Mental Misstep. Will let you guys know after next week
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Hi, can anyone enlighten me how is basalt monolith + rings + SDT equals win? Yes there is infinite mana, but you need something like future sight to keep playing the SDT right? If not you will just bounce SDT back to the top of the library and you cant really draw it?

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by mike1987 View Post
    Hi, can anyone enlighten me how is basalt monolith + rings + SDT equals win? Yes there is infinite mana, but you need something like future sight to keep playing the SDT right? If not you will just bounce SDT back to the top of the library and you cant really draw it?
    Rings copies everything Top does, including Draw then put SDTop on deck. Kind of like Voltaic Key and SDTop. With enough mana it functions as a Future Sight, sort of only it places them in hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Ah i see, thanks for the explanation!

To sidetrack, do you think this deck need creature removals to be more effective. Sometimes a sisay's kataki or rofellos can be quite devastating? I am thinking of trying out vedalken shackles, pongify and all is dust.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1987 View Post
    Ah i see, thanks for the explanation!

To sidetrack, do you think this deck need creature removals to be more effective. Sometimes a sisay's kataki or rofellos can be quite devastating? I am thinking of trying out vedalken shackles, pongify and all is dust.
    All of those cards are much too slow I think (not pongify but its a bit narrow)
    Try something like capsize or aether spellbomb if you want that kind of effect

Sep 2010
    MNL

Aside from Cavern of Souls (not 100% sure yet - another non-U producing land for our other goodies), it looks like AVR gives Arcum nothing.

On another note, what do people think of Aphetto Alchemist? It's essentially a mana rock that comes into play tapped (if you have one on board already, ala Voltaic Key) with the added benefit of being able to untap Arcum for another use. Downside is he's another non-artifact creature.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjumbo03 View Post
    Aside from Cavern of Souls (not 100% sure yet - another non-U producing land for our other goodies), it looks like AVR gives Arcum nothing.

On another note, what do people think of Aphetto Alchemist? It's essentially a mana rock that comes into play tapped (if you have one on board already, ala Voltaic Key) with the added benefit of being able to untap Arcum for another use. Downside is he's another non-artifact creature.
    Temporal mastery might actually be ok because you should already be playing scroll rack
    Not sure if this is worth it

The "2U Blink 2 artifacts or creatures" is decent too - possibly not good enough, again. If you have gilded lotus it's a free untap target permanent, but your arcum loses haste if you untap it this way. Not very good

Vessel of Endless Rest is interesting if your meta has lots of graveyard play, and it has the minor upside of the option to mistveil plains yourself, but it's probably not better than relic which nobody is currently using.

I think the card from this set with the most promise is Otherworld Atlas. It's an interesting variant of Temple bell which is an effect that I have been wanting more and more of lately (I don't think I would play both of them however). The fact that you can keep stacking charges over a couple of turns then mainphase activate the draw like a mini-jar and go off seems like a very good ability: It combos with voltaic key, mind over matter, clock etc just as well as Temple Bell does, but doesn't give them the opportunities to use the cards each time you activate this eot, unlike temple bell.

I don't know if I like the Alchemist. A summoning sick voltaic key that's free to activate isn't the worst. I'm not sure how it compares to Thousand Year Elixir in this regard.
    Some other things to think about that do a similar thing
    Dross Scorpion
    Magewright's Stone

This deck must have been absurd when you could still play Staff of Domination in it...

thanks for the suggestions. Was playing against a Zur, Doran today. Won doran but lost to zur due to his immense number of removal and counters. Realised that sometimes this deck has lack of counterspells. I am currently playing 7. In times of need, i always fail to draw one

How come none of you are running Proteus Staff. Unless I'm missing something, it feels like an auto include.

It doesnt do anything that cant be done by spine of ish sah, honestly.
    Polynorphing your own myr token into an actual myr isnt really good enough.

The main reason I dont play it is that its only good in very specific situations.
    I used to play null brooch but I cut it for the same reason.

Jan 2012
    Wadsworth Oh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sun View Post
    Some light feedback after an EDH night with the new metagame.

Going to start with mrjumbo's list and work with it, but will be adding some anti-hate slots as well. Opposing Pithing Needle/Phyrexian Revoker was really good against this deck. Going to start with Wipe Away and/or Echoing Truth to help with that. I missed Trinket Mage dearly because I hadn't added him in yet, but I want him + Artificer's Intuition ASAP. Will also be adding some GY hate (metagame choice), which will start at Tormod's Crypt (recurrable with Academy Ruins), and Grafdigger's Cage.

Also considering Mental Misstep. Will let you guys know after next week
    You should really try Hurkyls Recall its just about as good as it gets for bounce and has been the absolute nuts

Actually I've been thinking that repeal and chain of vapor might be the way to go.
    They have the upside of being able to ramp your mana if theres nothing that urgently needs bouncing.
    I guess hurkyls recall does this too.

I think every version needs some sort of bounce but I dont think theres a clear best option at the moment

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Actually I've been thinking that repeal and chain of vapor might be the way to go.
    They have the upside of being able to ramp your mana if theres nothing that urgently needs bouncing.
    I guess hurkyls recall does this too.

I think every version needs some sort of bounce but I dont think theres a clear best option at the moment
    You should see what he's been doing to our playgroup with Hurkyl's Recall. With Mycosynth Lattice out it reads "Target player loses the game." Otherwise, it bounces all offending Pithing Needles, Phyrexian Revokers, Spellskites as well as any other artifacts the player has out, setting them back considerably.

It seems to have so much more upside than Repeal and Chain of Vapor
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Jan 2012
    Wadsworth Oh.

As soon as i have my cards in my hands tomorrow i will post my list

That's a damn fine list. I rather like it, as well as your custom artwork for Arcum.

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Is there a reason why Blightsteel Colossus isn't included? I've been looking for an edh deck to actually play and get into and this one is high on the list, gy/recursion strategies seem to be hated pretty easily so I've lost interest in those.

Thread Information