Thread: [SCG Seattle] Misstepping with Painter Stone

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

[SCG Seattle] Misstepping with Painter Stone

I decided to play U/R Painter for the Legacy Open after some advice from Di (I was going to play a rogue U/B version prior to talking with him). The list I played:

2x Island
    1x Mountain
    3x Volcanic Island
    1x Tundra
    4x Seat of the Synod
    3x Great Furnace
    3x Ancient Tomb
    4x Scalding Tarn

4x Goblin Welder
    4x Painter's Servant

3x Mental Misstep
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    3x Transmute Artifact
    2x Intuition
    4x Force of Will

3x Mox Opal
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    3x Sensei's Divining Top
    4x Grindstone
    1x Sword of the Meek
    1x Thopter Foundry

Sideboard:
    1x Red Elemental Blast
    3x Blood Moon
    2x Ancient Grudge
    2x Spellskite
    2x Pithing Needle
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Sundial of the Infinite
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Nihil Spellbomb

Sundial was originally Misdirection, but was changed at the last minute in anticipation of Hive Mind.

Round 1 vs. Patrick Sullivan with Burn
    I win the roll.

Game 1: Ancient Tomb, Sensei's Divining Top, Grindstone, Mox Opal, go. He plays a Mountain and suspends Rift Bolt. I use Top at eot and get a warning for looking at 4*. Turn 2: Ancient Tomb, Painter, activate Grindstone. Couldn't have wished for a better opening hand.

*We called a judge as soon as I had realized I had grabbed 4 on accident.

Game 2: He gets me with early burn but I stabilize with Spellskite and active Welders. He gets a Pyrostatic Pillar out and Welders go on the offense. Pillar ends up doing a decent amount of the damage.

1-0; 2-0

Patrick was an absolute class act to play against.

Round 2 vs. Jeremiah Kahlner with Spiral Tide

Game 1: Only note I have written down is what I had to do to get a Grindstone out:

Me: Grindstone
    Him: Misstep
    Me: Misstep
    Him: Misstep
    Me: Force
    Him: Force
    *all resolves*
    Me: Transmute Artifact

I won the following turn I believe.

-1 Sword of the Meek, -1 Thopter Foundry
    +1 REB, +1 Crypt

-I board in another Crypt in since I felt there was a chance he could have boarding in Emrakul due to seeing it in some lists on TC. Plus it kills some of his Spiral recursion.

Game 2: We both slowly build up and my board is Crypt, Top, Opal, Welder (active), Grindstone. End of his turn I Intuition for 3 Painters. I activate Top to draw a card and without passing priority activate Welder on Top and Painter. He Cunning Wishes for Surgical Extraction and casts it targeting my Painter. I let it resolve*. I have to go on the crappy aggro plan. He ends up Brain Freezing me with 10mins left in the round.

*I completely punted here as I should have Crypted myself which would have left me with Painter in hand and 1 still in Library.

-2 Crypt, +2 Sundial

Game 3: We both build position and I get Sundial out. We go to turns. On turn 3 he starts comboing out with me having the last 2 turns due to Meditate. He Brainfreezes me for my Library. With his last 4 mana he has Zenith for 1. Sundial almost got there.

1-1; 3-2

Round 3 vs. Joe Lossett with G/b Combo Elves

I draw my 7 and screw up as my finger catches the side of my deck flipping over the top card. Warning #2, go me....

Game 1: He combos out eventually killing me with Emrakul.

-I board in Pithing Needles for Heritage Druids like a moron.

Game 2: I get the combo off with a Crypt on board.

-2 Needle, - 1 Sword, -1 Foundry
    +2 Blood Moon, +1 Nihil Spellbomb, +1 Ensnaring Bridge

Game 3: He starts by fetching Bayous and has a Fyndhorn Elf. Cabal Therapy blanks for Intuition. He GSZ's for Dryad Arbor then flashes back Therapy for Goblin Welder (also had Blood Moon and Ensnaring Bridge in hand). I cast Blood Moon next turn and kill his non-basics. He has a Fyndhorn and 1 Forest for green now. He attacks me the next 2 turns. I play a Painter and he forgets about it being a creature and attacks. I block the Fyndhorn. I get Bridge out and we're both playing Draw-Go for the most part, but I have a Top. And a bunch of lands on top of my library. I get the combo out, but I still need a Crypt effect. After a few turns I get a bright idea. I can just Grind those lands off the top to dig deeper. My best idea of the day.

1-2; 4-4

Round 4 vs. Noah Hammerlund with Stoneblade

Game 1: StP + Batterskull is a pain.

Game 2: My turn 2 consisted of Painter then REB on his Island. Turn 3 was Blood Moon and Painter beatdown. About a million turns and Painter pokes later I get a Thopter Foundry but play it safe instead of saccing everything to make tokens. Painter gets there (very) slowly since his basics didn't want to show up. Thankfully Batterskull was out to lunch as well.

Game 3: He fetches basics this time and gets there with SoFaI beatings.

1-3; 5-6 I decide to keep playing just to see how the deck does since I know it works and I'm the one that fails.

Round 5 vs. Jarred Illum with Battle of Wits

I commend him for his choice of decks before the match since I used to play it in Odyssey standard.

Game 1: He has a decent start but I managed to get the combo out and active. No Eldrazi in his deck. He Intuitioned for 3x BoW the turn before I went off. 1 was foil so I gave him that one. Then he said that was the first time someone picked that one over the non-foils. Very lame of the people that didn't give him the foil one since it doesn't affect anything.

Game 2: He mulls to 5 and casts Ponder. I Misstep and he Dazes it. I Force back since I know he needs it. Blood Moon resolves a couple turns later but it didn't matter since he didn't have any lands coming up.

2-3; 7-6

Round 6 vs Steve with Stoneblade
    Always fun going to big events only to play the same people I play every week.

Game 1: He beats me down with Batterskull for a few turns and I combo out on my last turn.

Game 2: He mulls to 5. I resolve a Welder and he casts Standstill. I go on the aggro route and slowly poke him to death. He breaks the Standstill with StP which I Misstep. I combo out after playing a bunch of must counter spells including 2x Transmute Artifact.

3-3; 9-6

Round 7 vs. Patrick McNiel with B/W Stoneforge

Game 1: I mull to 6 then combo out after a few turns. Didn't see any discard spells or Stoneforge this game.

Game 2: He gets a Stoneforge this game but Batterskull never hits play as Mystic gets Blasted. His Diving Offering eats a Spellskite and he gets Grinded shortly after.

4-3; 11-6

Round 8 vs. J.J. with Fish
    Yay, I get to play another friend.

Game 1: So. Many. Reejereys. Main deck Blasts help and he gets Grinded.

-1 Sword, -1 Foundry, -1 Crypt, -1 Grindstone
    +1 Bridge, +1 REB, +2 Pithing Needle

Game 2: His deck looks quite different. Instead of creatures he was casting Brainstorms and Echoing Truths. I die to a Coralhelm and Mutavault after he Echoing Truths my 2 Painters in response to Welder activation on one.

Game 3: Turn 1 Needle cuts off Vial. Cut to my last turn of the game:

I cast Transmute Artifact and he counters with Spell Snare. I tell him he has it since I didn't see any out to it. I say I'm going to see what I would have got with Top. 3rd card down was Mental Misstep which would have left me at 1 and him dead. Back to Moron Land for me.

Final: 4-4 in rounds; 12-8 in games. Finished in 71st place.

Overall I'm quite happy with the deck despite my record since 3/4 of the losses were play mistakes on my part. Kinda sad I didn't get to try it out against Hive Mind though.

Props:
    All my opponents for being great people to play against.
    Jarred for playing Battle of Wits.
    Star City for having the tournament.
    The guy Buying/Trading for SCG who dealt with all the Japanese P3K I unloaded.
    Lynnwood Convention Center for being a great place for the tournament despite the distance.
    Steve (Friend in Round 6) for not setting his brakes.*

*We went to a local store before the tournament to get food and he parked next to me. As we're inside they ask for the owner of the type of car he drives to come to the Customer Service desk. He didn't think it was him so we got our stuff and left. I was shortly behind him and as I get outside I see someone else parked by me. We don't know what happened, but his car had rolled forward into the shopping cart rack, barely missing a parked van (we assume it was already there).

Slops:
    Me for playing like a moron.
    Me again for not taking the time to meet Liam (lorddotm) and Matt (Sdematt).

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

Re: [SCG Seattle] Misstepping with Painter Stone

Having played the deck at a large(ish) event, did you ever consider reversing the intuition/transmute artifact numbers? Most people, myself included play 4 intuitions and 1/2 TA's, if any at all. I guess in short, how did they work out for you - were there times you wished a TA was an intuition, etc etc.

Second, spellskite - that good?
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Yeah, it's too bad we didn't get to meet up. I saw Liam, and I saw Mike (Petal Collector) and MoxMonkey, but didn't get to see you. Next time, then!

Nice job!

-Matt

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Chikenbok View Post
    Having played the deck at a large(ish) event, did you ever consider reversing the intuition/transmute artifact numbers? Most people, myself included play 4 intuitions and 1/2 TA's, if any at all. I guess in short, how did they work out for you - were there times you wished a TA was an intuition, etc etc.

Second, spellskite - that good?
    I was quite happy with the 3/2 split. With Surgical Extraction seeing more play I think it may be worth considering since Intuition is generally cast at opponent's eot which doesn't give you a chance to cast it before they can Extract it.

Spellskite was great. I would have lost (at least) R1G2 against Patrick if I didn't have that. He's best when you're against removal heavy decks since he protects your important things like combo pieces and Welder.

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Yeah, it's too bad we didn't get to meet up. I saw Liam, and I saw Mike (Petal Collector) and MoxMonkey, but didn't get to see you. Next time, then!

Nice job!

-Matt
    James mentioned meeting you and I meant to get around to it but I was on tilt most of the day from my mistakes. Definitely plan to meet you (and others) next time though.

Now that there are several decks that play Emrakul (elves, hive mind, 4 horsemen), would you change your strategy around? Maybe play Cunning/Burning wish MD to get an answer if your opponent seems like he might have Emrakul?

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Man, to hear Patrick complain about your Spellskite was hilarious.

Also, watching you Grind yourself was a little surreal. I was the guy in the DK shirt with Joe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Liam, were you smoking outside with Sullivan? I'm pretty sure when I was shitting on Burn, he was standing right there. Oops :P

-Matt

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Liam, were you smoking outside with Sullivan? I'm pretty sure when I was shitting on Burn, he was standing right there. Oops :P

-Matt
    I did spend a lot of time smoking outside with Sullivan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Ah, k. Well, my friends afterwards mentioned, "Why did you crap on Burn? Sullivan was right there!" I didn't really care, a deck like that shouldn't be in the X-1 or X-2 bracket.

-Matt

Thread Information