Thread: [Free Article] The Legacy Cookbook: Summer 2011

[Free Article] The Legacy Cookbook: Summer 2011

Last week, I started compiling decklists from recent events to keep myself up to date, and I realized that the article I wrote in March (The Legacy Cookbook: Spring 2011) was surprisingly out of date, on account of Mental Misstep.

So, this Cookbook has all-new lists. Every deck presented is from a tournament after Mental Misstep became tournament legal in May. Whether you're looking to get into Legacy and hope to find a deck to try out, or you're a grizzled veteran that could use a one-stop resource to prep for your next tournament, I hope this is an article you'll find useful.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...mmer_2011.html

(For those that are curious: I intend to continue contributing to Starcity when I'm able, but articles will be sporadic. The two this week was a bit of a fluke.)
    Curious how I became a Magic writer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onR9Y...eature=channel

random scrub

Sep 2004
    Costa La Haya

Re: [Free Article] The Legacy Cookbook: Summer 2011

Because SCG is too lame to post links to article feedback threads I'll just say it here: nice to see an article by your hand again. Luckily you've split this article from the other one with the vintage dredge content so that I can pretend you didn't write that and I don't have to regret that I didn't buy Bazaars because back then I thought 30 euro's a piece was a bit expensive for a deck called "Bombs over Baghdad", but oh well...
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by voltron00x View Post
    (For those that are curious: I intend to continue contributing to Starcity when I'm able, but articles will be sporadic. The two this week was a bit of a fluke.)
    Wow, I missed your articles!

Pretty sweet compilation, hope you can write us more goodies soon! ^^
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
    Because SCG is too lame to post links to article feedback threads
    They actually changed the way feedback is done. Its at the very bottom of the article using Facebook instead of the individual threads. Many people don't seem to be happy about it.

Great article as usual Matt, always nice to have things like this for quick and easy reference.

Dec 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden

It's a very nice article, very complete. I wonder about your assessment of NO RUG however, the Too Much Information-articles seem to indicate that the deck is the best performing deck and has been for a month or more. I agree that the Tempo RUG list looks very nice though. I'm always happy when I can avoid running Daze.

Not saying the deck is bad necessarily , just that I don't really like it. I suspect it is a fad.
    Curious how I became a Magic writer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onR9Y...eature=channel

Loved the article!

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

An excellent resource. Thanks!
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Apr 2011
    Århus, Denmark

Yeah, one more for the chorus: It's really good to see articles from you again, mr. Elias. I especially like that you have the guts to just say, eh, this might be good or whatever, but I don't like it. I think too many MtG writers focus too much on finding convoluted theoretical arguments or questionable statistical "evidence" for their claims.

On a side note, I find it very interesting that apparently, a deck like affinity would suffer from the printing of MM, despite not being especially reliant on that point on the curve, whereas Zoo, which can easily have half of its spells @ cc 1, would thrive.

Also: "Sometimes I feel like someone isn't really trying at all with these deck names. I look forward to playing “Wild Nacatl” or “Lightning Bolt” in my next tournament."
    This!

Not saying the deck is bad necessarily , just that I don't really like it. I suspect it is a fad.
    SCG Pittsburgh has 0 Hive Mind, 0 NO RUG in the top 16.

Just. Saying.

I hope this puts some of the "Ban Show and Tell!" talk to bed for a while.

Note that this doesn't mean that either deck is "bad" and this is obviously just one tournament; there was plenty of Hive Mind hate in some of those top 8 decks as well. I think this field is a lot more even than some folks like to admit.
    Last edited by voltron00x; 08-01-2011 at 08:36 AM.

random scrub

Sep 2004
    Costa La Haya

Quote Originally Posted by Whippoorwill View Post
    They actually changed the way feedback is done. Its at the very bottom of the article using Facebook instead of the individual threads. Many people don't seem to be happy about it.
    I know. I started a thread about it on their forums, which has grown to three pages without any response of SCG's overlords. Pity.
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"

This made me chuckle:

"Seriously, that guy is everywhere. It's like all the Stoneforge Mystics that got banned from Standard ran over to Legacy."
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

SCG Pittsburgh has 0 Hive Mind, 0 NO RUG in the top 16.

Just. Saying.

I hope this puts some of the "Ban Show and Tell!" talk to bed for a while.

Note that this doesn't mean that either deck is "bad" and this is obviously just one tournament; there was plenty of Hive Mind hate in some of those top 8 decks as well. I think this field is a lot more even than some folks like to admit.
    To be fair, in Sunday's MOCS several Show and Tell decks did well (top 8). (160 people)
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Quote Originally Posted by mchainmail View Post
    To be fair, in Sunday's MOCS several Show and Tell decks did well (top 8). (160 people)
    Hive Mind is undeniably good. It's probably what I would play, if I was playing regularly.

That said:

1 - I don't think Show and Tell needs to be banned, and,

2 - It can be beaten when the field wants to hate on it actively and intently.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

This is true of literally every deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Hive Mind is undeniably good. It's probably what I would play, if I was playing regularly.

That said:

1 - I don't think Show and Tell needs to be banned, and,

What is interesting was that most of those decks didn't overload on hate. This is surprising considering the strength and relative ease to play Hive Mind, especially considering the utter lack of any copies of Hive Mind in the T16.

Thread Information