Thread: Budget Legacy Enchantress

May 2011
    Norway

Budget Legacy Enchantress

Enchantress without duals/fetches and Moat.
    But still good enough to win against other top notch Legacy decks.
    Price tag of this deck ranges between 150-200$

// Lands 20
    2 Horizon Canopy
    6 Plains
    10 Forest
    2 Serra's Sanctum

// Enchantresses
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Enchantress's Presence

// Mana Accel
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    2 Gea's Touch

// Wincons
    1 Sigil of the empty throne
    1 Words of wilding

Sorcery
    1 Idyllic Tutor
    1 Replenish

Enchantments
    4 Elephant Grass
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 City of Solitude
    2 Mirri's Guile
    4 Sterling Grove
    2 Solitary Confinement
    1 Runed Halo
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Island Sanctuary
    1 Lignify

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Solitary Confinement
    SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 2 Choke
    SB: 1 City of Solitude
    SB: 1 Karmic Justice
    SB: 2 Wheel of sun and moon
    SB: 2 Leyline of sanctity
    SB: 1 Seal of Primordium
    SB: 1 Null Chamber
    SB: 1 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Suppression field

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Re: Budget Legacy Enchantress

Nice. Clean build, looks like it work. ^^

How often do you find yourself screwing mana?

There's a budget version of this in 4eak's post, here at Cavius' too (Budget decks - attempts) and looks solid. You might want to take a look there.

GL
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Enchantress doesn't really need Dual lands. In fact dual lands are bad in this deck. Therfor a lot of (good) Enchantress players will run Fetchlands but only like 1-2 Savannah at max. Still, without Fetchlands, I can envision you being mana screwed at times.

-1 Words of Wilding +1 Sigil of the Empty Throne.
    This is a must change. Both cards do the same but Sigil creates WAY better tokens and works without any Enchantress effects. I can't count the games I won by just randomly going t3 Sigil, make a lot of Angels. Something WoWilding will never do.

Also, play 4 Solitary Confinement (and 0 Island Sanctuaries) if you can't afford Moat. Also, play 2 Replenish and get rid off the Gaea's Touch. Also, second City of Solitude in the sideboard, you will need it. Especially if you (for some reason I won't accept) still decide to run just 1 Replenish which is your "I-win" card vs. Control.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

May 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    -1 Words of Wilding +1 Sigil of the Empty Throne.
    This is a must change. Both cards do the same but Sigil creates WAY better tokens and works without any Enchantress effects. I can't count the games I won by just randomly going t3 Sigil, make a lot of Angels. Something WoWilding will never do
    I agree on replacing Island sanctuary with another Confinement, but i think you might have missed the point with WoWilding. On many occasions the wilding will save you from drawing yourself to death, as you can make 4 tokens rather than drawing 4 cards every time Enchantments hits the table. (given you have 4 enchantresses out) This is a mighty token producer indeed, and will help you to regulate your draw.
    I usually play Words of war, but with no taiga or fetches it feels a bit "risky"

Also the gea's touch are great in this deck. I upgraded mine to Explorations, but in a deck like this with so many basic forests, it truly shines. It helps you to play out your lands at doubble speed, and you can sack it to pay for spell pierces or daze, or to play sigil on round 3.

But i also agree with you on playing city of solitude and replenish, cos it's the nuts against control or even aggro/control like Merfolk.
    I would also consider finding a slot for an extra forest. 21 lands sounds about right.

Thank you for sharing your ideas! Im a big fan of The Enchantress deck, and its the only deck that won me a Legacy tourney. Beating goblins, merfolk, counterTop, fearies, reanimator and even TES to the top. With a good starting hand, and well planned sideboard, the Enchantress can win against any matchup.

fetches are actually really important in this deck, as they shuffle for mirri's guile and improve your chances of chaining together enchantments with an enchantress in play. If you can't afford windswept heaths, i would at least buy some combo of misty rainforest / verdant catacombs which go for around $10 a piece (keep in mind they can be used to many other decks when you build your collection).

I also used to use island sanctuary in place of moat, but you should consider 3 solitary confinements just in case (i play 3 and a moat). Humility is another good option, and should probably be atleast in your sideboard. Lignify and Aura of Silence should probably be oblivion rings, since it is less limited. I played Gaea's touch a long time ago, but i think Green Sun's Zenith would probably be better in that slot. Zenith can find dryad arbor or argothian enchantress, or teeg/vexing shusher in the board. With zenith, you don't really need idyllic tutor either. A second replenish would be helpful in one of the open slots. Ground seal is another option.

I would suggest playing words of war over words of wilding, even if you don't have red lands. Just utopia sprawl for red whenever the time is right, or discard words at end of turn, and replenish it back into play.

sideboard must haves:
    1-4 choke
    1-4 city of solitude
    1-2 karmic justice
    grave hate (wheel sun/moon or ground seal)
    3-4 leyline of sanctity

other options worth considering:
    dovescape (hivemind / control)
    aura of silence (artifact.deck / combo)
    humility (creature.dec, nat order, show and tell)
    titania's song (artifact.deck / combo)

also primal order isn't terrible as a wincon...

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by mishrazz View Post
    I agree on replacing Island sanctuary with another Confinement, but i think you might have missed the point with WoWilding. On many occasions the wilding will save you from drawing yourself to death, as you can make 4 tokens rather than drawing 4 cards every time Enchantments hits the table. (given you have 4 enchantresses out) This is a mighty token producer indeed, and will help you to regulate your draw.
    Thanks for stating it in a polite way but when it comes to this deck, I hardly miss anything. Bold statement, yeah I know but I've been playing it for over 5 years now. Killing yourself by playing too many enchantments is not unlucky but just bad play. You generally never want more than 2-3 Enchantress effects on the bord. Three is already quite pushing it on the edge of "too far" in certain matchups. If you're really that afraid of killing you, try to practice more. Plus, you can always skip at least your draw step with Confinement.

Oh, and I completly forgot about Ground Seal which is soooo good in Legacy. I usually run 3 Maindeck, but you can cut down on them depending on your meta. But at least have them in the sb.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

May 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    Humility is another good option, and should probably be atleast in your sideboard. Lignify and Aura of Silence should probably be oblivion rings, since it is less limited. I played Gaea's touch a long time ago, but i think Green Sun's Zenith would probably be better in that slot. Zenith can find dryad arbor or argothian enchantress, or teeg/vexing shusher in the board. With zenith, you don't really need idyllic tutor either.
    Humility? Really? won't it make your Argothians useless? Lignify might be SB card but against Iona (on white) it is pretty much your only hope. I play it anyway because of reanimator in my meta.
    I agree that the green zenith can make the deck more efficient, especially post board with susher & teeg.
    But how does the zenith make Idyllic tutor obsolete? the tutor can help you find a confinement the same turn you need it. Zenith only fetches green dudes.

Humility will make argothian useless, however it also conveniently makes all creatures rather useless and combos nicely with moat/island sanctuary. I would gladly trade my argothians to make their emrakul/progen/bob/piledriver/qsali/a million other things turn into 1/1s.

Good cards against reanimator:
    ground seal
    wheel of sun and moon
    oblivion ring
    humility
    choke

Although lignify is good too, i would just advise running a more versatile card maindeck.

Idyllic will be used to find enchantress the majority of the time (this is my experience with the card as well as living wish and enlightened tutor). In this regard, zenith is far superior. If you are using it to grab solitary confinement, you should already have enchantress or 2 in play. If this is the case, you should be playing enchantments, drawing cards, and topdecking into either solitary itself or another stall card (moat, oblivion ring, runed halo, elephant grass). Additionally, you already have 4 tutors named sterling grove.

Thread Information