Thread: [Deck] Faeries

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

[Deck] Faeries

Faeries might be a pretty decent deck in Modern, even without Bitterblossom. For a deck that so effectively plays a control role, it has a good deal of aggression. Faeries don't have to splash black, but they probably should. The deck could also go for a third splash if it wanted (but, I'm not convinced it should).

Here's a Modern Faerie List:

// Lands - 22
    4 Island
    3 Swamp
    4 Watery Grave
    3 Marsh Flats
    3 Misty Rainforest
    4 Mutavault
    1 Creeping Tar Pit

// Faeries - 13
    4 Spellstutter Sprite
    4 Scion of Oona
    2 Vendilion Clique
    3 Mistbind Clique

// Card Draw - 8
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Ponder

// Hand/Stack Control - 10
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Cryptic Command

// Board Control - 7
    3 Vedalken Shackles
    4 Doom Blade

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 Engineered Plague
    SB: 2 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 2 Annul
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 3 Echoing Truth
    SB: 3 Sower of Temptation

Confidant might seem awkward, but the card is likely even stronger in Modern than it is in Legacy. Shackles, likewise, might seem awkward, but it is a very powerful card.

I'm only trying Ponder out. I may switch up to Spell Snare.

peace,
    4eak

Site Contributor

Jan 2010

Re: [Deck] Faeries

No aether vial?

Lots of small fliers look like they might enjoy carrying swords, although I suppose that doesn't exactly work well with Scion of Oona.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

I don't think Vial does enough for the deck. The deck already has a decent game against opposing permission decks. The instant speed of Vial is less useful when your Faeries already have flash. The mana-smoothing isn't very necessary. The only major gain appears to be the tempo ramp, but even that looks lackluster.

Equipment should be tested, despite the lack of synergy with Scion -- the fact is that Scion herself can carry it in those situations. Equipment is much weaker without BB, but it still might be worth it. Flying + SoFI seems amazing.

peace,
    4eak

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Boy that deck is just SCREAMING for Bitterblossom...alas, the ban-hammer has spoken, and spoken loudly.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thoughtseize and Bob without Jitte is a death sentance, considering Zoo is by far the best deck in the format.

I played Modern faeries on mtgo BEFORE the terrible bannings and the deck wasn't even that good then. Without Jitte, you're just dead to anything remotely aggressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    On a more constructive note: Anything can be funny, even if it is about rape.
    TIME POLICE

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

And jitte is banned...bummer.

Basilisk Collar?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think the deck really needs a little more beef, and that can come from Tombstalker x3 (but with Bob, uggh, LOOK OUT!) Sunken Ruins are a decent dual land that could be worked in, for sure. Drowned Catacombs or Darkslick Shores are options as well, and those can make Stalker happen pretty easy.

Another option...splash green for Goofy. I feel the deck needs a powerful 2-drop to ride, and Tarmogoyf fits the bill. You end up with some other powerful options with Maelstrom Pulse, Cream of the Crop, and Engineered Explosives @3 capability.

You mentioned in the OP that you were thinking of trying out Spell Snare in place of Ponder...I am doing the same in my BUG list, and I don't think you'll miss it. Folks will not really be prepared for permission, thinking it will be all aggro or combo (even faeries.)

Also, look into these cards:

Glen Elendra Archmage
    Venser, Shaper Savant
    Shadowmage Infiltrator
    Mulldrifter
    Shriekmaw
    Peppersmoke
    Agony Warp
    Shadow of Doubt
    Wydwen, the Biting Gale
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information