4 Reliquary Tower
    3 Gemstone Caverns

// Spells - 10
    4 Treasure Hunt
    2 Zombie Infestation
    4 Muddle the Mixture

// Sideboard
    ???

This deck has a very odd construction. It is clearly built around Treasure Hunt. Treasure Hunt, in this sort of build, is close to a Demonic tutor with draw X lands attached to it. You basically draw a ton of cards with Hunt, use Reliquary Tower to be able to save and leverage that CA over several turns, drop man-lands (not just as a 'plan-B' route), and drop Zombie Infestation to convert your card advantage into immediate board advantage.

Muddle the Mixture is an important addition, even if it looks clunky. You generally want to chain-Treasure Hunt. There is a huge disincentive to play non-Treasure Hunt spells, which is a strike against MtM. However, it is harder to actually open hands which have a Treasure Hunt or come back from a weak Treasure Hunt. Muddle the Mixture is almost always T-Hunt 5-8. It also picks up Zombie Infestation for you.

The man-land plan is better than you'd think. They make sweepers far less scary. They make the deck less one-dimensional.

peace,
    4eak

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

Re: [Deck] Zombie Hunt

Blood Moon and Magus of the Moon are real (and honestly underplayed) cards in modern. Im not saying you need a maindeck answer but it is something about the deck that needs to be addressed, especially since you are so light on basics

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Because I did the math for your other thread I might as well put it here too.

This pretty much turns Treasure Hunt into draw ~6 cards, which isn't terrible by any means, but 3 zombies may not be enough to win you the game. Perhaps new Liliana for some more creature control/card advantage since dumping excess lands is never going to be a problem.

Have you considered adding a Life from the Loam?
    Even with just one copy, you can search for it with muddle, and will allow you to keep your zombie infestation engine going, as well as returning killed man-lands.

I would go 4 gemstone caverns (as this deck appears slow and any early advantage it can gain is good); if you draw extras you can just ditch them to zombie infestation.

If you DO go LftL, I would consider throwing in one Worm Harvest just as an alternative win condition.

I tried to make a deck similar to this before, but the fundamental issue I found was that it didn't work if I couldn't resolve a treasure hunt and get that card advantage. I do like the man-lands route, so perhaps that can work out.

Happy Brewing!

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by optml View Post
    Have you considered adding a Life from the Loam?
    Even with just one copy, you can search for it with muddle, and will allow you to keep your zombie infestation engine going, as well as returning killed man-lands.

I would go 4 gemstone caverns (as this deck appears slow and any early advantage it can gain is good); if you draw extras you can just ditch them to zombie infestation.

If you DO go LftL, I would consider throwing in one Worm Harvest just as an alternative win condition.

I tried to make a deck similar to this before, but the fundamental issue I found was that it didn't work if I couldn't resolve a treasure hunt and get that card advantage. I do like the man-lands route, so perhaps that can work out.

Happy Brewing!
    I immediately thought of Loam as well...and Raven's Crime. You could play 1-2 Loams and then work in 3 Raven's Crime. Fiddling with 5-6 slots shouldn't be too much trouble. I am also unable to resist the incredibly strong urge to mention a couple of Intuition-style cars like Gifts Ungiven and a possibly superior option with Realms Uncharted. The real conundrum is working in tricks like that but still maintaining your critical mass of lands in the deck. I think 50 is rather high (but as has been demonstrated, Treasure Hunt will only net you +/- 6 cards even with 50 lands.) I think putting in 2x Life from the Loam, 4x Raven's Crime, and 2x Gifts Ungiven wouldn't hurt too badly. That still leaves you with 42 lands. I'm curious what the data would be on that one (care to humor me Phoenix?)

Turbo-land for modern, eh? Fascinating... would Dread Statuary be a better card than Spawning Pool?

EDIT: just imagine what cycle lands could do for this monster... I will be hounding Wizards for a reprint. Horizon Canopy is decent, but with Treasure Hunt maybe unneccessary?

EDIT #2: Halimar Depths and Deprive?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information