Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] EDNAE (Eggs: Disclaimer No Actual Eggs)

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

[Deck] EDNAE (Eggs: Disclaimer No Actual Eggs)

This is the winning deck from the Pro Tour: Return to Ravnica.

Main Deck: 60
    Lands: 17
    4x Ghost Quarter
    1x Hallowed Fountain
    7x Island
    2x Misty Rainforest
    1x Plains
    2x Scalding Tarn

Artifacts: 21
    4x Chromatic Sphere
    4x Chromatic Star
    4x Conjurer's Bauble
    4x Elsewhere Flask
    4x Lotus Bloom
    1x Pyrite Spellbomb

Spells: 22
    4x Faith's Reward
    1x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Reshape
    4x Second Sunrise
    4x Serum Visions
    2x Silence
    3x Sleight of Hand

Sideboard: 15
    4x Echoing Truth
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Grapeshot
    4x Leyline of Sanctity
    1x Nihil Spellbomb
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Silence

Credit for this Primer goes to Jacob Van Lunen.

First the List:

1 Forest
    4 Ghost Quarter
    10 Island
    1 Plains

4 Chromatic Sphere
    4 Chromatic Star
    4 Conjurer's Bauble
    4 Edge of Autumn
    4 Elsewhere Flask
    3 Lotus Bloom
    2 Preordain
    2 Pyrite Spellbomb
    4 Noxious Revival
    4 Reshape
    4 Second Sunrise
    1 Spoils of the Vault
    1 Sunbeam Spellbomb
    3 Wargate

I'll explain each of the card choices and then give a tutorial on how the deck should be played.

Ghost Quarter: This card is absolutely necessary. Once we start going off, Ghost Quarter actually starts netting us extra mana. It's also extremely important to thin our library. When I first started working on this deck I had 4 Seat of the Synod and 4 Ancient Den. I kept cutting the artifact lands one at a time, thinking they were somehow necessary because I was playing Reshape. Eventually, I came to realize that the artifact lands were unnecessary and caused the deck to fizzle far more often than I would like. Usually, when I start going off I don't play any land I draw until I draw a Ghost Quarter.

The basic lands: I wanted to include a single Forest and Plains for easy casting of Wargate.

Second Sunrise: The cornerstone of the combo. We draw our library by looping this spell with different artifacts. Once we draw our library we use the Second Sunrise to kill our opponent with our Spellbombs.

Wargate: The first Wargate you draw serves as a Reshape, it finds your Lotus Bloom and allows you to go off with your Second Sunrise. After that, Wargate finds Ghost Quarters or card-drawing artifacts.

Reshape: Reshape is one of the key pieces to the combo. Putting Lotus Bloom directly into play is an important play. Once we start looping through the combo the Reshapes can find extra card-drawing artifacts and help us draw our library faster.

Lotus Bloom: I always found myself siding one of these out when I played four. Suspending a Lotus Bloom on any turn besides the first is usually just a waste of a card. Drawing Lotus Blooms while you're trying to sift through your library and find relevant spells is especially frustrating. I have been quite happy with three copies, but four may still be correct. I need more time and testing to decide which is the right number.

Chromatic Star and Chromatic Sphere: The basic "eggs." Chromatic Star and Chromatic Sphere are incredible here. If I could play twenty copies of one of these cards I most certainly would. They allow us to cast strange cards like Spoils of the Vault and Reclaim and they help us draw our library when we're comboing.

Conjurer's Bauble: Another elegant piece of the puzzle. Conjurer's Bauble is an egg, but it also doubles as our win condition. Once we draw our entire library we need to use the Conjurer's Bauble to put Second Sunrise back on the bottom and loop our Spellbombs.

Edge of Autumn: Edge of Autumn is incredible. It nets us mana and draws us some cards.

Elsewhere Flask: The Flask is a great new addition. It makes the deck a lot more consistent. We don't have to worry as much about getting artifacts into play to set up the combo.

The Spellbombs: These act as eggs and can be recycled with Second Sunrise to win the game once we draw our entire deck.

Preordain: I wish I knew a better card for this slot. For right now this is the best option we have here, though.

Spoils of the Vault: I did the math and the deck still has fizzling issues. One Spoils of the Vault is probably enough to ensure we have the ability to find a Second Sunrise when we need to go off.

Reclaim: Reclaim really only targets the Second Sunrise. It's important that we maximize the number of Second Sunrises in our deck. We may be drawing twelve or thirteen cards at a time, but if we don't draw a Reclaim or Second Sunrise, we'll be fizzling and passing the turn with no permanents in play. We can also use Reclaim to make our opponent run out of cards after we gain infinite life with Sunbeam Spellbomb.

Playing the deck, and problems that have arisin

So far Aggro is a very easy game. Most people assume combo is dead in this format and thus there is almost no hate. Aggro is too slow for a turn 3-4 win. The only games i have lost are to Goblin Sligh style decks that get 2 Goblin Guides turn 1 or something dumb like that. As long as you can find a Sunrise your golden.

Cloudpost decks are hit and miss. If you can go off before they can establish Blue, or can combo when they tap down your good. However this match-up will need to be addressed. You can't just wait around like you can against a MUC deck since they drop an Emrakul on you. Silence might be really good here.

Black Discard has not be a problem as of yet. You just drop some egg's, and once you draw a Sunrise you GG them. They don't have a big clock yet so it's been easy times.

Cards To Consider for SB/MD
    Silence - Good for counters
    Grand Abolisher - Great for stopping stuff, but WW is rough.
    Nature's Claim - Stops Leylines and Relics
    Qasali Pridemage - Currently one in my board. Kills Leyline of Sanctity and can be recurred to destroy extra's.
    Last edited by Technics; 02-03-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Re: [Deck] EDNAE

Just a question: why reclaim over Noxious Revival ?

Cause it's an old primer.

Also Surgical Extraction/Extirpate might be a problem...

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I've ran a few tests, and Extirpate is a big problem.

I think SB Grand Abolisher is absolutely necessary.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Apr 2011
    Århus, Denmark

You may want to fix that manabase. Adding Ravnica shocklands as well as fetchlands would give you more consistent mana, and the library thinning is looking to be actually relevant here. Also, if you fetch the turn you go off, your fetchlands come back with Second Sunrise, same as Ghost Quarter.

If you are just digging for specific cards, Ponder is generally better than Preordain, since you get to see more cards. Your one-of Spoils of the Vault can only be cast off of a Chromatic Sphere/Star, I suggest you either exchange it for another Ponder, or add an appropriate fetchable land.

The "Playing the deck" section actually doesn't explain how you play the deck. Just to be sure: The overall idea is to cast a number of sacrificeable cantripping artifacts, sac them, use Second Sunrise to get them back, draw a bunch of cards in the process, use a newly drawn Second Sunrise or Noxious Revival to do it again, over and over, until you have drawn you entire library, at which point you loop Second Sunrise, a Conjurer's Bauble and an appropriate Spellbomb for the actual win, using Lotus Bloom/Ghost Quartered lands/fetchlands to pay for stuff along the way?

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

Ichor Wellspring seems strictly better than Elsewhere Flask. Also as was said Noxious Revival is a better Reclaim.

Apr 2011

Noxios Revival is going in for Reclaim.

Ichor Wellspring can't be saced to be brought back again and again with Second Sunrise. Thus it is MUCH worse.

Fetchlands are a very good idea. I'm not sure about Rav Duals as the life loss MIGHT be relevant, will have to test that theory.

This is a very old primer indeed. It's based off an old extended deck.

In the Ponder/Spoils slots, what do you guys think of main deck hate (say Silence/Abolisher?)

Dec 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    Noxios Revival is going in for Reclaim.

Ichor Wellspring can't be saced to be brought back again and again with Second Sunrise. Thus it is MUCH worse.

Fetchlands are a very good idea. I'm not sure about Rav Duals as the life loss MIGHT be relevant, will have to test that theory.

This is a very old primer indeed. It's based off an old extended deck.

In the Ponder/Spoils slots, what do you guys think of main deck hate (say Silence/Abolisher?)
    You do play reshape so Wellspring isn't really bad persay but maybe I'm just biased against Flask. Also, fetches seem good but not seem eh. You want lots of basics so that when you go off, Ghost Quarter will consistently net you mana. As for maindeck hate, what is this deck scared of game 1 that Chant/etc helps with? Countermagic I guess? I feel like the meta has to develop first because if blue isn't a huge part of the field you'd rather have gas to race the non-blue decks.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowPenguin View Post
    You may want to fix that manabase. Adding Ravnica shocklands as well as fetchlands would give you more consistent mana, and the library thinning is looking to be actually relevant here. Also, if you fetch the turn you go off, your fetchlands come back with Second Sunrise, same as Ghost Quarter.

If you are just digging for specific cards, Ponder is generally better than Preordain, since you get to see more cards. Your one-of Spoils of the Vault can only be cast off of a Chromatic Sphere/Star, I suggest you either exchange it for another Ponder, or add an appropriate fetchable land.

The "Playing the deck" section actually doesn't explain how you play the deck. Just to be sure: The overall idea is to cast a number of sacrificeable cantripping artifacts, sac them, use Second Sunrise to get them back, draw a bunch of cards in the process, use a newly drawn Second Sunrise or Noxious Revival to do it again, over and over, until you have drawn you entire library, at which point you loop Second Sunrise, a Conjurer's Bauble and an appropriate Spellbomb for the actual win, using Lotus Bloom/Ghost Quartered lands/fetchlands to pay for stuff along the way?
    I played the deck back in the day of Old Extended, and it doesn't really need shocklands, since all your Spheres do the mana-fixing, the life-loss is not really worth it.

Explain to me how you don't deck yourself when you get down to 0 cards in pool? Bauble draws the card that you put there with it, so you can't generate any mana because the stars will deck you.

...unless I'm missing something?
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

The combo is: Lotus Bloom+Conjurer's Bauble+Second Sunrise

It goes like this, cast sac Bloom add WWW, play Sunrise get everything back (you get everything once more) and then Bauble your Sunrise, and Draw it, rinse and repeat until your opponent is dead.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

You need 2 Lotus Bloom to complete the kill, one sacs for to cast Sunrise, the 2nd to generate damage mana for Pyrite Spellbomb.

Seal of Fire works just as well, and easier too.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

So you have to find and cast/discard 2 Blooms? and you're only playing three? Sounds.... not great.

Edit: I mean, I guess, Wargate. But what happens if you draw them?

SECOND EDIT: Oh, Reshape. I guess that's pretty cool.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Dec 2008

And the combo can go at instant speed so you can end your turn, discard down and kill them in their upkeep.

Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    You need 2 Lotus Bloom to complete the kill, one sacs for to cast Sunrise, the 2nd to generate damage mana for Pyrite Spellbomb.

Seal of Fire works just as well, and easier too.
    Yeah seal is "easier" in that there is less thinking, but you can't use it to draw if your in bad shape and need the extra draw. I like Spellbomb because of the versitility.

Apr 2011
    Århus, Denmark

Discarding Lotus Bloom does not cause it to come back with second sunrise. That only happens if it goes from the battlefield to the graveyard.

You don't need two Lotus Bloom, one lotus bloom + one Ghost Quarter works too. Tap a land for mana, Ghost Quarter it, get them both back as part of the loop. You net + 1 mana each time. Get infy white mana, loop again, this time you sac Lotus for red mana and use it to power the spellbomb. Use aforementioned white mana to power the loop as many times as you need to win.

Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowPenguin View Post
    Discarding Lotus Bloom does not cause it to come back with second sunrise. That only happens if it goes from the battlefield to the graveyard.

You don't need two Lotus Bloom, one lotus bloom + one Ghost Quarter works too. Tap a land for mana, Ghost Quarter it, get them both back as part of the loop. You net + 1 mana each time. Get infy white mana, loop again, this time you sac Lotus for red mana and use it to power the spellbomb. Use aforementioned white mana to power the loop as many times as you need to win.
    Yep, You can also Bauble Blooms you discarded, and Reshape them into play.

I'm 100% certain that it's not worth arguing about whether it's a good idea to discard Bloom in a deck that has 0 ways to build CA (if you aren't going off) so it's literally always better to just suspend a bloom than it is to discard it.

Oil Sheikh
    May 2007
    Syracuse, NY

Where does this stupid name come from? What does EDNAE even stand for? When the deck debuted, the French called it Omlette Aux Lotus, then the Americans renamed it something stupid, I forget what. I played this at a PTQ back in INV/7E extended, going 6-2, losing because extirpate on conjurer's bauble is GG. The real name of this deck should be Sunrise Long, cause that is just badass. /rant

More on topic: As much as I love this deck, I don't think it is viable. The old list ran cunnining wish, so it could play 7 Sunrises MD, and wish for sunrise back if the opponent extirpated it (I really miss those old rules). Now it is straight up dead to extirpate, and surgical extraction will be a real pain in the ass too (which I guarantee a lot of people will be playing). The list will need protection, and I think abolisher is out because of the WW cost. Silence or thoughtseize would work well, but the mana base would need to be changed a bit. I would probably add 3 fetches, and there is no need to run all those basic islands (because stars, lotus and flask are all good color fixing). Fetches act as additional ghost quarters too. I don't have a list right now, but just some food for thought.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

EDNAE: Eggs: Disclaimer No Actual Eggs (because it does not have any actual Odyssey eggs)
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Thread Information