Thread: [Deck] RUGw Zoo/Faeries

[Deck] RUGw Zoo/Faeries

Considering that Spell Snare and Mana Leak are now the bar for counter magic in Modern, it seems as tho' Spellstutter Sprite and Vendilion Clique are going to be working overtime to keep the stack in check. The basic premise of the deck is to abuse the absence of Wasteland with a 4c manabase, establish a presence on the board with Wild Nacatl and Tarmogoyf and then use Faeries and Burn as control elements and red zone win conditions.

4xWild Nacatl
    4xTarmogoyf
    4xSpellstutter Sprite
    4xVendilion Clique
    4xMana Leak
    4xGrim Lavamancer
    4xLightning Bolt
    4xRift Bolt
    4xPonder
    4xPreordain
    4xMutavault
    4xU/g Fetch
    4xU/r Fetch
    1xU/g Shock
    1xU/r Shock
    1xU/w Shock
    1xG/r Shock
    1xG/w Shock
    1xR/w Shock
    1xIsland

It feels consistent, however it's weak to a resolved Knight of the Reliquary from a g/b/w Junk shell and doesn't utilize the /w mana in the MD other than for Wild Nacatl. It's possible to MD Path to Exile, Qasal Pridemage and Lightning Helix or perhaps Knight of the Reliquary ourselves, but for now I think the basic idea is kind of where aggro control should go in this format.

I'm using Mana Leak as the "catch all" counter, but I'm really greedy and want to try Cryptic Command instead because it should come online just before the billion home brew combo decks go off and the card is ridiculous at what it does. I think it's CC may relagate it to a a Hierarch/GSZ Bant Shell tho' because it's usually too little too late vs. Zoo fwiw.

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Re: [Deck] 4c Faeries

I like the idea of faeries in modern. But four vendilion clique?

Also, I predict cryptic command being blue's go-to spell in the format, because it just deals with aggro so well, and this format is slower than legacy
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

Re: [Deck] 4c Faeries

Quote Originally Posted by perm View Post
    I like the idea of faeries in modern. But four vendilion clique?

Also, I predict cryptic command being blue's go-to spell in the format, because it just deals with aggro so well, and this format is slower than legacy
    I agree Cryptic Command is arguably the best counter spell we have, but I think you have to accelerate into it with either Noble Hierarch of Green Sun's Zenith because Zoo is putting on the same 4 turn clock in Modern as it is in Legacy.

Yes, 4 Vendilion Clique, because Cryptic Command aside, Vendilion Clique is the best disruption and threat pound for pound and you can easily Flash, Block or shuffle your second Vendilion Clique back. I don't think any deck with less than 3 Vendilion Clique is ever correct unless they're just adding a Vendilion Clique for filler - it's that good.

Anyway, I'm relatively happy with the deck so far, it seems to be holding it's own vs aggro, combo and 12 Post but I think it's going to come down to how well it handles BANT + Cryptic Command because that really seems to be the other aggro-control deck at the moment.

Thread Information