Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Undervalued cards for modern

Undervalued cards for modern

what cards are undervalue you guys feel for modern right now?
    i feel that gifts and academy ruins are kinda undervalue right now
    mayb even noble hierarch since she is good in zoo

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Re: undervalue cards for modern

My God, why is it so hard for people to spell and punctuate properly?

Translation:

Quote Originally Posted by KingJohnny View Post
    what cards are undervalue you guys feel for modern right now?
    i feel that gifts and academy ruins are kinda undervalue right now
    mayb even noble hierarch since she is good in zoo
    What cards do you guys feel are undervalued right now in Modern?

I feel that Gifts and Academy Ruins are kind of undervalued right now.

Maybe even Noble Hierarch, since she is so good in zoo.

Was that so damn hard?

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    What cards do you guys think are undervalued right now?

I feel that Gifts and Academy Ruins are kind of undervalued right now.

Maybe even Noble Hierarch, since she is so good in zoo.

Was that so damn hard?
    dude... relax. You clearly understood what he was saying, your neckbeard will be intact.

Anyway, I think dismember is one of the best removal cards in the format. I think black in general is undervalued and is underplayed/underbuild.
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

One that stuck out in my mind was Voidslime. It really didn't get much notoriety during it's stint in standard, but a decent counter with a stifle built in can't be all that bad. Considering how bad the counters are in Modern (Rune Snag, Mana Leak, and Remand being the best?) ,it sticks out in my book.

I'm also a huge fan of Kavu Predator. The format seems like it's going to be some serious Zoo and combo action so far and I like the idea of having a creature that can outclass a Nacatyl, Goyf, and Knight quickly. Run some Fiery Justices and watch him slam Knight back into the yard when they least expect it. I remember using it in Legacy for a short time and it did well. Being able to just flat race combo starting with a 3rd turn heavy hit is probably a good thing. Grove of the Burnwillows isn't all that horrible despite the 3 toughness issue and pumps him too. I like that.

Re: Undervalued cards for modern

ya mr.c we ainit in english foo
    noble hierarch is going up in price now finally
    what the card deserves

Word up playa! Real talk. Keep thuggin', g. Just do it somewhere else, because you're done here. -zilla

I've been messing with Voidslime in Bant builds designed around Cryptic Command, and Voidslime is actually pretty awesome there. Untapping with three mana on turn 2 and either countering their spell or stifling a fetchland has been very good value, especially when on the play. The mana costs are strange but a cryptic command deck has to run filters anyway, which makes things a lot easier for costs like that.

Kavu Predator is great too for the reasons mentioned.

I'm suprised Engineered Explosives and Tombstalker haven't gone up more.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Voidslime is pretty insane and might be an undervalued card. What I feel is tremendously powerful in this format is Boom/Bust and Trickbind. Since most decks are built without land-destruction in mind (no Wasteland, Tec Edge and Ghost Quarters don't really count as LD in the early game), a timely Boom/Bust/Trickbind can buy lots of time.

What are your thoughts on Reflecting Pool? For any deck that's tri-colored or more colors, I'd imagine they would need some copies of Pools. This may pick up the way Standard was in need of Reflecting Pool when it was legal.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Comprehensive list of undervalued Modern cards listed in quote below:

(no hits found)

I think Stone Rain/Molten Rain, and LD in general have a lot of potential in a format where half the decks are either control, aggro that leans heavily on shockduals, or combo that primarily relies on lands to fuel broken stuff. A tempo-oriented R/G, Jund, or RWG could easily take advantage of attrition cards like Blightning, Fulminator Mage, Boom//Bust, Cascade-elf-guy, Magus of the Moon, etc.

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwalker View Post
    Voidslime is pretty insane and might be an undervalued card. What I feel is tremendously powerful in this format is Boom/Bust and Trickbind. Since most decks are built without land-destruction in mind (no Wasteland, Tec Edge and Ghost Quarters don't really count as LD in the early game), a timely Boom/Bust/Trickbind can buy lots of time.

What are your thoughts on Reflecting Pool? For any deck that's tri-colored or more colors, I'd imagine they would need some copies of Pools. This may pick up the way Standard was in need of Reflecting Pool when it was legal.
    I think for LD Squelch is much better... the split second and "silence" clause of trickbind aren't really that important, and +1 card draw is huge for control.
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Gifts is finally taking off. Abugames raised from 4 to 8 dollars while scg is sold out at 6 usd. Still can grab them Around 5 dollars on eBay. Get em while you still can. Next level gifts looks like the control deck to beat (other than 12 post).

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

I was pondering if it's worth pulling the trigger for $19 on foil Gifts, and pulled the trigger buying 4 NM ones from SCG last night. I was just going to get them off Ebay but I wanted a one-time purchase of 4 Korean Reflecting Pools as well in 1 shipment. Got the Korean Pools at $23, see if I'm wrong on my little 'investment' in these cards.

I think at worst, I'll just have a nice set of cards to play with but I'll bet that Gifts and Pools will continue to creep higher since they will be played sooner or later.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I bought 2 Gifts for a total of around $6 last month, because I'm a casual junky and the potential of using it in Modern if it ever came about...now I'm smiling.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Nice buys Metalworker. I've been sandbagging my Foil Kamigawa Gifts forever, never had the heart to sell them. Now looks like it's paying off. Been testing my various Gifts list, shit is that card broken or what... It's not Jace 2.0 broken but with such a large card pool, it is insane. Lets not talk about the loam piles. I've been going panic button piles like this and they still win me the game:

Against Aggro:
    Engineered explosives, Shackles, Threads of Disloyalty, Lightning bolt/dismember. This is a 2-3 for one easy.

Against Control/Combo:
    Cryptic Command, Mana Leak, Spell Snare, Vendilion Clique.

Card is busted.
    Last edited by ivanpei; 08-23-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I do the same, only I left red out. Each combo pile is a little different for me.

12-Post:

Loam/Ghost Quarter/Makeshift Mannequin/Shriekmaw

Second Sunrise:

Spell Snare/Mana Leak/Engineered Explosives/Duress

Dragonstorm:

Mana Leak/Spell Snare/Duress/Squelch or Trickbind (most likely will be squelch)

Against aggro:

Explosives/ Dismember/Shriekmaw/Black Sun's Zenith

Against control:

Mana Leak/Spell Snare/Mulldrifter/Eternal Witness

OR

Mana Leak/Deprive/Duress/Vendilion Clique

Ditto, card is busted.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 08-23-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Well, Gifts is primarily stronger in this format because Modern is slower, and less counterspells flying around, so a Resolved gifts is huge card advantage, it's the tutor+CA that breaks games. However, you have to stabilize to the point to resolve a Gifts :)

I'll bet you that Gifts could one day be banned (since its power level is a tad high compared to what's available currently in Modern), but the best thing they can do is the UNBAN cards to fix the format, rather than ban more cards and make the format into essentially shitty Extended.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I think Kelly Reid on tcgplayer.com got it right:

"Gifts Ungiven - The first time I had this cast against me in Modern, I actually said aloud, “That crap is legal in this format?” I pride myself on being able to split a Fact or Fiction perfectly, so I was up to the challenge. Gerry Thompson was watching the match and explained to me why I was wrong. There goes my pride. Either way, there are loads of synergies in these sets. Recover, Retrace, Unearth, Flashback and Dredge all give you value on a Gifts no matter what happens. Considering the price, Gifts Ungiven seems like a no-brainer. Innistrad might bring yet more graveyard fun."

I highly doubt it'll get the ban hammer though. Like Metalwalker said, you have to untap with it for the engine to start churning. It's not like Jace, where it can come down and bounce something, defending itself, then start brainstorming/fatesealing the game away. You are wasting a full turn casting gifts. The card is busted, provided you survive that critical turn when you tapped out for gifts. Gifts is one of my favourite cards ever and I've been trying to break it in Legacy for a long time, but it never cut it (Intuition is usually miles better). Picking the right pile is very skill intensive and so is splitting the piles correctly. Good players will be able to abuse the hell out of it and bad players can punt games by splitting the piles wrongly. This is the kind of card that makes Magic really interesting.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    You are wasting a full turn casting gifts. The card is busted, provided you survive that critical turn when you tapped out for gifts. Gifts is one of my favourite cards ever and I've been trying to break it in Legacy for a long time, but it never cut it (Intuition is usually miles better). Picking the right pile is very skill intensive and so is splitting the piles correctly. Good players will be able to abuse the hell out of it and bad players can punt games by splitting the piles wrongly. This is the kind of card that makes Magic really interesting.
    Hopefully you are wasting a full 'end of your opponent's turn' to play Gifts, leaving lands untapped for Cryptic or other control. I knew what you meant, though

I tried Gifts in legacy as well...and ditto, Intuition is the cat's ass. This is as close to Intuition as we are going to get in modern though, so I think it's going to be THE blue engine of choice.

I also like the fact that Gifts rewards play skill. Typical piles of 4 from Gifts are designed to punish your opponent regardless of what they pick, which is why the card is so damn good.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwalker View Post
    Well, Gifts is primarily stronger in this format because Modern is slower, and less counterspells flying around, so a Resolved gifts is huge card advantage, it's the tutor+CA that breaks games. However, you have to stabilize to the point to resolve a Gifts :)
    Against combo this is really easy, especially given other forms of permission (Mana Leak, Deprive, Familiar's Ruse, Spell Snare.) I absolutely LOVE to see a turn 1 suspended Lotus Bloom...it gives me 3 turns to load my hand, and once I blow past the first wave, Gifts/Witness for the refill. Aggro is a little tougher, but that's why I'm opting for Shriekmaw. He hits a large number of problematic threats in the format (Goyf, Knight, Nacatls, War Monks, Rafiq, Grims, Emrakul, etc.) and gets even better in the graveyard with the Mannequin/Witness engine.

I'll bet you that Gifts could one day be banned (since its power level is a tad high compared to what's available currently in Modern), but the best thing they can do is the UNBAN cards to fix the format, rather than ban more cards and make the format into essentially shitty Extended.
    I think they will unban cards first. Bitterblossom would make sense, allowing another blue-based deck to start squabbling in the format. Spellstutter Sprite is already good, but if Bitterblossom were available it would get harder to resolve Gifts. If/when Bitterblossom gets unbanned, I'm jumping onto that deck faster than a fat guy on a jelly donut.

If they continue to ban more cards and make it into an aptly described 'shitty extended', man that would suck. Right now I think it's aptly called 'one of the best extended formats ever', but that's just me.
    Brainstorm Realist

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

skullclamp

oh wait :(
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

Thread Information