Thread: [Deck] GW Scapeshift

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

[Deck] GW Scapeshift

I'm notoriously lazy when it comes to primers, but I'll do my best. This deck came from an experiment I tried in Legacy ages back, but was just too slow and too vulnerable to free counters to quite get there. Then, earlier in the week, I realized the concept worked almost entirely in Modern.

The simplest, most rudimentary form of the idea was this. On your fourth turn, if your opponent was at 20 and you had a clear shot with a Steppe Lynx, you could play a fetchland, activate it, search up a land, Scapeshift into four Flagstones of Trokair, and Flagstones trigger into four plains, and hit ten Landfall triggers for a lethal swing. Similarly, this worked with Plated Geopede and Adventuring Gear, as well as being still amazing with Knight of the Reliquary and Vinelasher Kudzu.

Naturally, of course, you don't have to go for the one shot, as this situation isn't going to always arise. You can Shift into four fetchlands and set up for a second shot. You can Shift into two fetches and two Flagstones, or three Flagstones and a Soaring Seacliff. And if you don't get Scapeshift or don't think you can pull it off, the backup plan is strong, the charge led by a wave of Fetchlands, Knight of the Reliquary, Vinelasher Kudzu, and a few sneaky GSZ targets.

So here's the list, at current.

2 Arid Mesa
    2 Marsh Flats
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Misty Rainforest
    4 Temple Garden
    2 Plains
    2 Forest
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Path to Exile
    3 Dismember
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Scapeshift
    3 Adventuring Gear

1 Noble Hierarch
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Vinelasher Kudzu
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Silhana Ledgewalker
    2 Eternal Witness
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Vexing Shusher

The sideboard is still in progress, but will involve things like a single Bojuka Bog, a single Soaring Seacliff, a Gaddock Teeg, Seal of Primordiums, additional Vexing Shushers, and some kind of anti Zoo/Sligh tech.

Most of the choices are self explanatory. I also feel I should explain Silhana Ledgewalker, who's designed as a target to fetch if you've got Adventuring Gear and a Scapeshift, as a Silhana with a Gear is both difficult to block and immune to removal. Scryb Ranger is obviously amazing here, both for Landfall triggers and with Knight of the Reliquary. A fetchland in hand can turn the duo into six Landfall triggers in the same turn. And while I rarely fetch up the one Noble Hierarch, I like seeing him and he's decent carrying the Adventuring Gear.

I intend to test a bunch of matchups in the weeks to come, and should have more then. In the meantime, comment, shred to pieces, or whatever you like.:)
    Last edited by Tacosnape; 08-20-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Mar 2009
    Tampa Bay, FL

Re: [Deck] GW Scapeshift

Note - Scavenging Ooze isn't legal in Modern, since it's only been printed in Commander. (Commander-only cards are only available in Vintage and Legacy)

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Worthwhile point. This is what happens when I make decks while drinking and not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Mar 2009
    Tampa Bay, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Worthwhile point. This is what happens when I make decks while drinking and not paying attention.
    No problem, I'm trying to think about decks for the format while hopped up on painkillers and recuperating from wisdom teeth removal.

Thread Information