Thread: Deck advice for unknown meta

Deck advice for unknown meta

Hi guys, i need your very help.

This next weekend, i will attempt a legacy tournament. It will be my first tournament in about 5-6 years. I've been playing since 1995 and i know the rules and the cards pretty well. I'm just not update to the current meta.

I have at my disposition some decks that i can play this weekend and i need help to choose wich one you think will fit an unknown meta.

option #1

gate-junk

creatures
    4 dark confidant
    2 abyssal persecutor
    3 hyonotic specter
    2 phyrexian obliterator
    3 gatekeeper of malakir

spells
    4 inquisition of kozilek
    4 vindicate
    1 maelstrom pulse
    4 hymn to tourach
    3 pernicious deed
    1 surgical extraction
    4 dark ritual
    4 swords to plowshares

lands
    4 bayou
    4 scrubland
    4 marsh flats
    2 verdant catacombs
    1 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
    1 phyrexian tower
    4 wasteland
    1 swamp

option #2

G/W stoneblade zenith

creatures
    4 stoneforge mystic
    4 noble hierarch
    4 knight of the reliquary
    4 qasali pridemage
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 thrun, the last troll
    2 mirran crusader
    1 gaddock teeg
    3 mangara of corondor

spells
    4 swords to plowshares
    2 elspeth, knight errant
    3 green sun's zenith
    1 umezawa jitte
    1 batterskull
    1 sword of fire and ice
    1 sowrd of (light and shadow, body and mind)

lands
    1 maze of ith
    2 horizon canopy
    4 wasteland
    1 misty rainforest
    4 windswept heath
    4 savannah
    3 gemstone mine
    3 forest
    1 plains

option #3

merfolk *without mutavault ( i don't have any)

creatures
    4 cursecatcher
    4 lord of atlantis
    4 merrow reejeray
    4 silvergil adept
    4 coralhelm commander
    2 merfolk sovereign
    1 kira, great glass spinner

spells
    4 aether vial
    4 force of will
    4 mental misstep
    3 daze
    1 umezawa jitte

lands
    4 wasteland
    4 mishra's factory (should be mutavault)
    13 island

option #4

My option #4 is to make a blend of the first two decks, to make a kinda junk-blade deck.

I could also make affinity but i don't think it is really the better choice since the hate is all around for artifacts.

Please help me choosing the right deck. Feel free to post any deck idea. But, be aware that i don't own any blue dual lands. I own almost every staples that has green, black and white (except for natural order and tarmogoyf)

Thanks folks.

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

Re: Deck advice for unknown meta

It looks like you took two mainstream decks and blended them to get two homebrews, which is cool because I enjoy homebrew builds myself. However if you want to be competitive I would build something closer to what is on this site, i.e. either The Gate, mono black without any fetch lands or G/W/b junk (specifically junk depths with wishboard- shouldnt be too hard to acquire the few cards your missing).

Out of the three decks listed I think your folk deck looks the most competitive as is but if you could build junk depths I would go this route. NO RUG seems to be everywhere and merfolk doesnt like that matchup so I think junk depths would be your best bet out of what you have available. I love The Gate but I just dont see it being any good currently.

Anyway Heres a list I threw together based mostly on cards you have and assuming as you stated that you have access to most g/w/b staples, cards you didnt list I put in italics:

Creatures 14
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Vampire Hexmage

spells 22
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 swords to Plowshares
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Living Wish
    3 Mox Diamond (Sensei’s Top if you dont have mox’s)
    1 Life from the Loam

lands 24
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Wasteland
    2 Bayou
    2 Scrubland
    2 Savannah
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Karakas
    1 Dark Depths

Sideboard 15
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Wasteland
    1 Gatekeeper of Malakir
    2 Extirpate
    1 Kataki, War's Wage
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Shriekmaw
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Vampire Hexmage

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

If I picked, I think I'd have to go for the second one.

The second one is pretty good, though I am not a fan of Mangara anymore. I'd just go through the Maverick lists and pick out some good replacements for that guy. I just can't get impressed by him even if I somehow get trapped into that slow lock. Love the Scavenging Ooze though. I am happy people figured out how good he is.

Merfolk is always a good choice, I'm just not a fan of it right now. No Rug and Stoneblade both are played a lot and it's a tricky match up for the fishies. Not horribad, but not great either. Especially if you run into the Red splash Stoneblade decks, then it's real bad.

The top one is a tad outdated anymore. Jace pretty much single-handedly killed that style. Discard is good if you have a really fast clock like Storm or some other combo to push through, but I am not a fan of hitting people with discard and then trying to go beatdown anymore. Sad too, since I loved those types of decks, but Jace is a frigging beating to them. You can do the Hymn, Duress, Thoughtseize, Hymn first few turns and then they topdeck Jace and get it all back in nothing flat. It sucks to be on the other end of that. If you want to play that style, you need some serious hate for him. Hexmage Depths has a half decent chance because Hexmage can kill Jace if need be. That's about the only reason that one stays decent still. You might pull it off with ganking those Abyssals and using Phyrexian arena on top of things to keep up. You have to flood people with disruption anymore or have a monster fast clock.

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    If I picked, I think I'd have to go for the second one.

The second one is pretty good, though I am not a fan of Mangara anymore. I'd just go through the Maverick lists and pick out some good replacements for that guy. I just can't get impressed by him even if I somehow get trapped into that slow lock. Love the Scavenging Ooze though. I am happy people figured out how good he is.
    What would you replace the mangara with ? I'm not a huge fan of her too but i don't own any tarmogoyfs.

Any idea of wich creatures or spells could fit that gap ? Maybe an eternal witness ? maybe 3 mental misstep ?

Thread Information