Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Ban Fetchlands

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Re: Let's Ban Fetchlands

I literally do not understand why anyone would want to ban Mental Misstep.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Because there's the risk that not banning Mental Misstep could result in banning Force of Will.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Of all the most heavily played cards right now I think those are the two I would least like to ban.

I would legitimately rather ban Dryad Arbor than either Misstep or Force.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

There's nothing "broken" about fetchlands. It would feel wrong to have them banned, even if it did make the game more "fair". However, I still think that overall the game would be much worse without fetchlands. Playing a 3 or 4 color deck and getting the right mana is fun. Being able to splash in all the useful low-costed cards you want is kind of the bread and butter of legacy. Also, if people actually played safe manabases, then blood moon wouldn't be nearly as fun to play on turn 1.

I don't really think that blue is the most dominant color in legacy. Ever since tarmogoyf showed up, it has been a steady decline. Now, we finally have maverick, which is able to play perfectly well without any blue at all. Besides, it doesn't really make sense to say that one color is dominant in legacy precisely because it is so easy to splash multiple colors. The truly dominant "color" in legacy is "a multicolor deck".

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    Well, at least we agree that banning fetchlands would reduce the constant shuffling within games.

But I disagree with banning Brainstorm. It helps stop fast combo from completing degenerate turn 1-2 goldfishes. Brainstorm is only overpowered with fetchlands. Its other functions are more necessary than overpowered, such as protecting your hand from discard or putting away cards you need to have in your library (see: Progenitus). Ponder and Preordain are good filter cards, but they don't have the supplemental functions Brainstorm has, so Brainstorm isn't easily replaceable with Ponder/Preordain.

EDIT: Bolded and colored for reference.
    Brainstorm has nothing to do with control or aggro-control's ability to keep comb "in check," Preordian is on par with Brainstorm and Ponder is even better at finding counter magic on the first turn and it's a completely topical argument for Brainstorm's presence in the format (not that I think Brainstorm should be banned, I just think your logic for Brainstorm is "off")

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Preordain and Ponder are nowhere near the power level of Brainstorm, but the difference in their relative power is much greater in combo decks running Brainstorm (which is most of them) than in other decks.

I agree, which is why his point of view is completely dubious, Brainstorm does more to help combo than it does to hurt it and banning it would be worse for combo than for aggro-control because Combo has no effective replacement for the card while "insert cantrip here" does the same thing in aggro-control vs. combo as Brainstorm.

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

Honestly, I'd rather we just ban everything that was printed during or after Time Spiral block. As far as I'm concerned, the printing of Tarmogoyf was the end of Legacy as an interesting format. I find it funny that people bitch and moan about blue being the most powerful color when it hasn't actually been on top in years. That title belongs to green and green alone. I mean, in the past few years, we've seen the following printed:

Tarmogoyf
    Knight of the Reliquary
    Krosan Grip
    Qasali Pridemage
    Green Sun's Zenith
    Gaddock Teeg
    Life from the Loam
    Trygon Predator
    Bloodbraid Elf
    Noble Hierarch
    Wild Nacatl

That's a lot of green love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Now, how can you be sure it's rape when there's no way to tell if a barnacle is consenting or not? For all we know it was actually two first time lesbian barnacles who signed a release for the footage to be used in the newest installment of Barnacles Gone Wild: Seafoam Splash.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Preordain and Ponder are nowhere near the power level of Brainstorm, but the difference in their relative power is much greater in combo decks running Brainstorm (which is most of them) than in other decks.
    I agree, the sole fact that brainstorm can hide bombs and invalidate a lot of pinpointed discard make it so much better in a combo archetype than in a control shell.

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkshineKnight View Post
    I mean, in the past few years, we've seen the following printed:

Tarmogoyf
    Knight of the Reliquary
    Krosan Grip
    Qasali Pridemage
    Green Sun's Zenith
    Gaddock Teeg
    Life from the Loam
    Trygon Predator
    Bloodbraid Elf
    Noble Hierarch
    Wild Nacatl

That's a lot of green love.
    Don't forget Progenitus ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
    Because there's the risk that not banning Mental Misstep could result in banning Force of Will.
    No one is going to ever under any circumstances ban Force of Will, you may go play Modern now. Good day to you sir.

Ditto that to guy who thinks banning fetches is a good idea. Yeah Legacy was much more fun when more games were decided by not finding the right dual land in time. [/sarcasm]
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Thread Information