Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Double-Faced Cards

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Re: Double-Faced Cards

I mean, in the raw English, there's actually two ways of playing it face down, not none.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I mean, in the raw English, there's actually two ways of playing it face down, not none.
    This is Magic: the Gathering we're speaking, not English.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

ARGH!!!! I"VE BEEN PLAYING MAGIC SINCE BEFORE YOU WERE BORN, AND THEY"RE KILLING IT NOW!!! ARREEGGHH!!! I FEAR CHANGE!!! YOU DAMN KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
    What's with all of the knee-jerk reactions? Why does every one "flip" (pun intended) out when something new comes down the pike...?
    ...Maybe because the new stuff ends up sucking ass...

P.S. I think this idea is going to end up with a lot of frustrated players instead of some demonstration of a dynamic new design.
    I can foresee complaints about cheating if people, instead of pulling cards out of sleeves to flip them, people have sleeved up opposite sides and end up getting that stuff shuffled into decks or other chaos.
    The checklist thing is fucking stoopid. I would avoid playing limited just for that fact.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

P.S.S. Maro seems to be selling the idea pretty hard on the Twitter. I guess he realized he was going to get a lot of push back, but maybe he knows something... like the mechanic IS going to suck.
    I'm actually getting very interested about it the more I read, (but maybe that's the five cups of coffee talking).

WOW TCG used this "idea" for ages. (Except it did not cause problems.)

I'm rather ambivalent about this mechanic, but it does show they should fire a few people and hire some new blood.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Well there is only 20 cards in the set that uses the mechanic so its ok, they didnt overdo it. Major and Testsubject looks incredible powerful.

Actually, this is really stupid.

Why aren't gold-bordered cards legal then? There's completely no reason not to legalize them.

And if I want to play 4 copies of a "transform" card, why would I ever need more than 2 copies and 2 checklists?

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

I want a Force of Will, Wasteland etc checklist, so i only need 1 playset and can proxy all of my other decks :D
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Dec 2009
    Germany

I was really looking forward to Draft with Innistrad but this new mechanic seems to cause more problems than fun.

For Constructed or Eternal play I think I can somehow handle pulling cards out of sleeves during matches but the fact that I will often forget to turn them back to the Day-side after the match (especially if the card ends up in the graveyard) annoys me quite a bit.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Wait, so there will be foils that can't curl? OMFG TECHNOLOGY
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    Double sided foil eh? Seems like really heavy packs!
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Betcha they'll warp into Mobius strip shapes. Or split and peel like crazy.

Feb 2011
    Lisbon

that's the real reason they did this they just got to many complains about that lol

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

I wonder what they change the cards backs to on Magic-Online or are they just giving the full Information as you get a look at those? Weird.
    Sadly it seems that other free platforms (MWS,Cockatrice) will face serious problems when it comes down to using these cards, correct me if thats simply not true.
    I h8 that they changed the back of the cards, even if I do like the mechanics. I have to agree that they simply could have made the cards better in terms of space and development when it comes down to all that DayNnite Jazz.
    N1@not curling foils^^.
    In response...Hypothek!

This is by far the largest design mistake in card layout wizards has done. Sleaving and un sleaving cards during event is problematic for two reasons. The actions increase the time needed to perform game actions and it increases wear on cards. If any chase mythic is a flip card it will be harder to keep the card in NM or SP conditions. The alternative of using a proxy card leaves an even worst taste in my mouth. If Wizards is going to introduce proxies at least open it up to the eternal formats. That way a player can play with a HP force of will or allow for their mox to stay SP or NM. By not allowing older cards to be proxied it seems like an emergency bandage fix for a problem they created themselves. I for one hope that there are not any eternal staples flip cards printed so they can be relegated to a shoe box after standard cycles.

On a side note I think it will be interesting if someone plays a flip card using Illusionary mask.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

I abhor this. It's probably the worst design idea I've ever seen in Magic. These kind of radical changes ought to be voted on by players.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

So if you use checklists in your deck but don't have the actual cards, do you get a game loss? Do you have to have one actual card for each checklist that you use in a given deck?

Anyway, this seems like a fine idea. The only bad thing in my opinion is that drafting is a little bit harder. I'm still waiting for them to make 3D cards that you have to punch out and fold into different shapes.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Aside from the cheating issues, card wearing down issues and the impossibility to draft issue, there's also the fact that this mean that gold bordered card (world championship deck) are now illegal only because wizards rolled a dice and decided so, since the back of the card isn't a deciding factor anymore (whereas it was explicitely stated that a card was legal only if it had the proper back). By the way this would be a legendary troll to the reserved list, make all gold bordered reprint legals and since they've been printed mostly before 2000 the no-reprint policy doesn't apply, lmao.

Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I'm only annoyed at how these interact with sleeves really. that's fine if they have a weird mechanic that is basically like a ton of other ones. Nice Threshold comparison Bearassassin lol. Funny, but it's true too.

It's basically going to be a pain to have these setting to the side like a token since putting it into a sleeve would be silly because once you play it, you have to slip it out of the sleeve every time you need to flip it over or you have to play with that checklist. Annoying card is annoying. Especially in the case of that one that flips when someone played a couple of spells. The blue one is basically just a leveler, the green one is a Flip card, and the black one is kind of a leveler also.

I'm just hoping I don't have to deal with these in Legacy. I'll be sad if I need to pick up 2 playsets of a card just so I can easily keep them sleeved and not have to use those checklists flip them out of the sleeve each time.

I really never liked flip cards, but I think I would have preferred a return of those over two faced cards.

Lets be freaks...
    Dec 2007
    Mettmann

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Aside from the cheating issues, card wearing down issues and the impossibility to draft issue, there's also the fact that this mean that gold bordered card (world championship deck) are now illegal only because wizards rolled a dice and decided so, since the back of the card isn't a deciding factor anymore (whereas it was explicitely stated that a card was legal only if it had the proper back).

No, gold-boardered cards are banned as well.

102. Authorized Cards
    Alpha cards (cards from the first print run of the core set) may be used in decks containing non-Alpha cards only if all cards are placed in completely opaque sleeves and only if the sleeves could not be considered marked. If sleeves are not used, Alpha cards may be used only in decks that consist exclusively of Alpha cards.

Participants may not use cards from special sets or supplements with alternate backs, squared corners or gold borders.(Examples: Collector’s Edition, Pro Tour Collector’s Set, World Championship decks.) Players may not use silver-bordered Unglued™ or Unhinged™ cards.Unglued and Unhinged basic land cards are allowed in sanctioned Magic tournaments.

Players may use cards from special sets and supplements with black- or white-bordered cards published by Wizards of the Coast that do not have alternate backs and/or squared corners. (Examples: the Anthologies™, Beatdown™, Battle Royale™, From the Vault: Dragons box sets). However, the card(s) must be otherwise legal to play in that tournament’s format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells
    :16: - (See, now Erratic Explosion's a deck)
    Legendary Creature - Horror
    Haste, Hexproof, Double Strike, Trample
    Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells is indestructible.
    Permanents you control can't be sacrificed or copied.
    Whenever Kenjawn, Mutator of Cells attacks, defending player gets liver cancer (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
    13/13

Thread Information