Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PT Philly

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

PT Philly

Alright guys,

Apparently Combo is running rampant. From 12-post to Hive Mind. Though Zoo is currently running the top tables.

Discuss.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: PT Philly

The 3 groups of decks everyone knew would be played are being played.

That's not much to discuss.

Kicker of Elves
    Jul 2008
    Kingston Ont. Canada

Finkel Vs Chapin was an entertaining read, the metagame breakdown of PT Philly was pretty interesting with a lot of "1 off" rouge decks but as Phoenix mentioned not a huge surprise on the top 5 decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Dredge is like a woman's period: Once a week every month, its fury engulfs everything, and then it hides for the rest of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
    Should rename this thread to [SCD] Misguided Rage.

The twitter discussion of the pros is quite entertaining. They are complaining that mental misstep isn't around to slow down combo and Tarmogoyf just "doesn't do enough". The format kind of reminds me of old extended when Intuition was legal. Tons of turn three or four, 3 card combos. I'm still hopefull visions and Jace come off the banned list, although the former might be too much of a boon for combo.

Nov 2006
    London

Where are you guys reading coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...tphi11/welcome

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...hi11/metagame1

I don't know what most of these decks are, but according to someone on MTGS, the metagame is about 30% U/R Cantrip Combo (aggregated from these data), 20% Cloudpost, and 16% Zoo.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

I never thought I would see "mana ramp" as a competitive strategy in an eternal format.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

So should we just call it the "8 (or more) cantrips" format?

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by mojoiskewl View Post
    So should we just call it the "8 (or more) cantrips" format?
    I've been saying since the new banned list was announced that combo was going to run rampant. And I've also said that the only 3 true tier 1 decks are GreenPost, Splinter Twin and Persist. Zoo and Jund roll in at Tier 1.5 along with possibly All in Red depending on the metagame makeup.But we'll see how the T8 rolls out. I'm kind of surprised to see Zoo still doing well that late in Day 1. I would've expected that 12Post would've knocked them all out of the running, given that it makes up 20%(!!!) of the meta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

I want Grapeshot.dec to take it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Lots of Zoo/Affinity on the second day or so it seems, higher % of these decks made day 2 than 12post variants.

I'm pretty surprised to see Affinity posting results.

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    I've been saying since the new banned list was announced that combo was going to run rampant. And I've also said that the only 3 true tier 1 decks are GreenPost, Splinter Twin and Persist. Zoo and Jund roll in at Tier 1.5 along with possibly All in Red depending on the metagame makeup.But we'll see how the T8 rolls out. I'm kind of surprised to see Zoo still doing well that late in Day 1. I would've expected that 12Post would've knocked them all out of the running, given that it makes up 20%(!!!) of the meta.
    Persist is not better than Pyromancer or SwathStorm. Hell, Twin probably isn't better than those two.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kruchkow View Post
    Persist is not better than Pyromancer or SwathStorm. Hell, Twin probably isn't better than those two.
    I'm going to have to disagree for 1 very simple reason. Ascension and swath both require you to have 1 copy of a 4-of. Persist is necessarily 3 card combo, however you can have redundancy for all 3 pieces as well as direct tutoring. Swath and Ascension have no redundancy and only cantrips for tutoring. The also have little room for protection, whereas my persist has 4 Thoughtseize and 3 Sculler to disrupt opposing combos and protect my own.
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree for 1 very simple reason. Ascension and swath both require you to have 1 copy of a 4-of. Persist is necessarily 3 card combo, however you can have redundancy for all 3 pieces as well as direct tutoring. Swath and Ascension have no redundancy and only cantrips for tutoring. The also have little room for protection, whereas my persist has 4 Thoughtseize and 3 Sculler to disrupt opposing combos and protect my own.
    Multiple Ascension decks made Top 8, no persist decks did.

UR Cantrips-Into-Combo seems like the deck archetype to beat.

I guess Force of Will is still "The Glue."

It's Tricky

Nov 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    No way, the combo decks aren't even close to what's in Legacy. I think discard can handle this just fine, although Misstep would go a long way to helping against combo and boosting control imo.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Meh, I'm excited it isn't Hive Mind vs some sort of cheat Emrakul into play deck vs some cheat Progenitus into play build. These types of combo are easy enough to hate with somewhat decent cards.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Persist isn't really a known quantity. There's a mediocre version floating around on MTGO. But it wasn't as heavily represented at the PT and I doubt most of the builds had any disruption. Pyromancer's Ascension and Splinter Twin are both T2 decks that the pros would have some experience with. Project 420 hasn't been in T2 for quite some time. I would've expected one to sneak into the T8 anyway, but apparently not.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

I don't think this is a combo format. It's just that control can't be build unless there's a clear view of the meta, and this is the very first big tournament using Modern.

Also, I think Sensei's Divining Top would make control better without punishing aggro the way Mental Misstep does.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Thread Information