Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself Here

Oct 2016
    Germantown, Md

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Greeting!

I am a longtime lurker on here. I have played magic off and on since Ice Age. I picked up legacy about two and a half years ago and have played Death and Taxes the most since starting. I switch to over time to time to any deck that runs ports and wasteland.

I live in Germantown, Maryland and only have about one day a week to play due to raising my son and living the family dream. I hope to venture out into other parts of Maryland and Nova to enjoy the best format in Magic.

-Patrick

Original Gangster
    Jan 2017

Hello everyone,

Getting back into Magic after a long hiatus. Since most of my cards are from between 4th Edition and Exodus it's only natural that I get into legacy.

Jul 2016
    Lisbon

Hi I'm Francisco, i'm a portuguese student and i live in Lisbon (i'm probably the youngest legacy player in Lisbon).
    I've been playing sice early 2016, i used to play standard and modern, then i tried legacy and now i play only legacy and sometimes limited.
    I play currently with LED Dredge and i'm going to build soon BR reanimator.

Hi, I'm BL(I'd prefer not to reveal my full name if allowed) and I'm from Indonesia. I graduated high school in 2014 and have been working ever since (Will soon attend university though). I've only been playing since 2014, so I'm fairly new to this game.

I started with kitchen table magic, proceeded to Modern, and was finally introduced to Legacy last year (Haven't regretted a single moment of it).

Nice to meet you all!

hi all, I'm claudio from Italy. Worker on quality control for automotive, long time visitor of the forum, now I would like to reply some threads.
    Playing magic since Odyssey block, today I play Legacy and Pauper, then modern sometimes.
    currently use in Legacy Burn and Deadguy Ale, but would like to try LED based decks.
    Nice to meet you all, cya!

Hi,

I'm Neil and play casually around Manchester (UK) when i can get out of the office on time! Have Grixis Delver built and hope to make it to some tournaments as i get more experience with the format. Basically want to hoover up information and contribute where i can :)

Ronco here.
    Started playing around Ice age/5th edition. Then stopped around 2005 or so after foolishly losing 3 power cards (big blue). So I said F-it and quit and sold my collection. Then got curious and stumbled on here and found out that two jank decks I liked to play for fun (buried alive/living dead and Pandmonium/Saproling burst) basically got combined into Dredge and became legitimately competitive. So I pretty much netdecked to start my collection over again. Back up to about 90 cards lol. I like the challenge of making strange combos somewhat playable in casual formats and multiplayer. So I'm in a strange process of "watering down" manaless into more of a MP format.

Used to play:
    Browse Digger (my serious deck, for real).
    Sui Black
    Sligh
    R/G aggro that morphed into my PandeBurst
    7/10 split/workshop deck that was near completion when the unthinkable happened and I left the game.

Currently on Manaless dredge and rebuilding Sui for the time being. B/D was my "power" deck when I wanted a serious game so I doubt that will ever get remade, at least not in the next few years. Lots of good info on this site.

Greetings all,

I'm Sean, in Austin, TX. My username is in no way a reference to the game but to a nickname...

I started playing in early '94 until early in the Tempest block. Then took a VERY long hiatus from the paper game, though I occasionally played the Microprose desktop game over the years... it's still pretty awesome IMO.

Thanks to interest in the game from a small group of equally-nerdy friends, I've recently returned to the game and am both thrilled at how it's evolved and a little overwhelmed at the sheer expansiveness of available options.

I'm a big fan of themed decks and building around a concept or favorite card and so tend to favor casual play to tournaments. That said, UW Control is still my go-to for 'serious' play and I'm trying to find a way to make it work now that I've replaced Serra Angel with Archangel of Thune. We'll see how that goes.

Cheers!

Sep 2014
    Newport Beach, California

Hi guys. My name is Mitchell & I am from Orange County, California. I am a bored law student that enjoys playing legacy. I play fair blue decks in big tournaments like GPs, but also enjoy dabbling with combo every now and then for fun at small tournaments.

Hi Guys,

I'm a daily lurker, but rare poster. I play on mtgo almost every morning with coffee. I'm Rmosto. I like to play 4C control, BUG Foodchain and am now practicing with punishing maverick. I am always looking for others to playtest online and in paper. I live in Rhode Island. Cheers.

Nick

Nov 2017
    Vienna, Austria

Hey!

I am a long time Lurker, first time poster! My name is Marcel and i live in western Austria. I picked up Legacy right after I started with competitive Magic around 2013. Before that, I only played casual.

I work as a travel agent, so I am on the road (or in the air) quite often. I am always looking to travel to the major Legacy events in Europe.

(PS: If anyone goes to the MKM Frankfurt 2018 - I need a Hotelmate/Playtest Buddy.

Hey All!

I've been perusing the threads here for a logn while but finally broke down and made an account in order to join the legacy "Ravager Shops" discussion. I've wanted a MUD aggro deck in the format forever and having a group of people actually working on it has been awesome.

Anyway, my name is Rich and I'm a Magic Dad in Charlotte, NC. If yall don't know Topdecked yet (topdecked.me), you should check it out.
    #FreeNedLeeds

Professional Pain-in-Lincoln's-Ass, Team Topdecked

Decks:

Modern: Affinity
    Legacy: Steel Stompy/"Dos Equis", SnS, Mono-R Sneak, Dragon Stompy, Infect, Eldrazi Aggro
    Vintage: Shops, JacoDrazi
    93/94: mono-b, BRUD

Just popping in to say hello and that it's nice to be back playing the best format in Magic! Gone for a couple of years and now moving forward playing those in my signature.
    My old account was deleted, so made a new one
    Burn
    Manaless Dredge
    Nic Fit

Hi guys,

I am new here but I started mtg a long time ago... 1994.
    I remember playing GW Armaggedon & Weenie white back then.

Now I am 100% focused on the best format this great game has to offer : Legacy :)
    And only on paper, no mtgo for me.

I play various control / prison decks (Miracles, Sultai Control, Pox, Dragon stompy, UG Candelabra Enchantress - I know... but trust me, this one is really worth considering -, and Lands)
    (and Eldrazi stompy or MonoB Reanimator to relax :))
    I must admit I goldfish a lot with them on my kitchen table (maybe I will broadcast myself one day :D)

I like to brew and create new decks as well.

So I will be happy to share my views in many threads !

Cheers

Florian

Jul 2018
    Midwest

Just saying hello.

Would love to chat about MTG. Been playing since '94. About the only Legacy I play is a proxied up Turbo Depths deck on occasion. But I'll talk any format, any product, any time. Be glad to chat.
    Playing since 1994

Format of play: Modern & Pauper

Not an introduction, since I made my account here 14 years ago, but... hello again! Thought I should pop back in and check out the state of Legacy after a few years away.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Goaswerfraiejen View Post
    Not an introduction, since I made my account here 14 years ago, but... hello again! Thought I should pop back in and check out the state of Legacy after a few years away.
    Welcome back. I recall your cool brewing from around 2010. I lurked this site for quite a while before I joined, and I guess I've been here a long time now. What year did you leave? (Almost regardless of the answer, a lot has happened in Legacy. Just trying to gauge the timeline.)

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Welcome back. I recall your cool brewing from around 2010. I lurked this site for quite a while before I joined, and I guess I've been here a long time now. What year did you leave? (Almost regardless of the answer, a lot has happened in Legacy. Just trying to gauge the timeline.)
    Haha, you're too kind to remember my weirdo decks!

It must have been sometime in 2017, probably in the fall. I'd moved to a new city, had a new job, and MWS had pretty much died, so I slowly just stopped coming here.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

OK, here's a recap of what you missed in that time, along with some links that let you peer in on the past. Seems like a lot of people come to this thread when they return to Legacy, so hopefully this will be valuable to numerous people and get a few reads.

Grixis Delver and Czech Pile were the biggest decks in late 2017, moving into 2018. Lands was a strong contender, too, having a good matchup against those decks. You can watch coverage of GP Seattle (April 2018) to get a good idea of the landscape and to just enjoy some good paper Magic in general from the era shortly after your break:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JnM...1x5WFS9LUrUbSJ

Deathrite Shaman and Gitaxian Probe ate a ban a few months after that, and the format became more open. Things were pretty great, but War of the Spark in 2019 brought the first wave of what would become vigorous changes to Legacy. War of the Spark introduced planeswalkers with static abilities, and these weren't properly accounted for by WOTC when costing the card. Narset, Parter of Veils and Teferi, Time Raveler were immediately impactful, and Karn, the Great Creator was quickly adopted by Sol land decks. Narset served as an easier to cast Leovold, Teferi was like a static Silence and then some, and Karn combined with Mycosynth Lattice to lock the opponent out of casting spells. Dreadhorde Arcanist slotted into Delver and provided another cheap, must-answer threat.

Before the dust had settled, the very-pushed Modern Horizons was released, introducing Force of Negation, Wrenn and Six, Hogaak, Arcum's Astrolabe, Echo of Eons, Prismatic Vista, Urza, Lord High Artificer, and several other cards that would see a lot of play. While not the same as Force of Will, Force of Negation allowed decks to play eight Force effects.

* Hogaak ate Modern alive and found adoption in Legacy in a BUG build and a Jund build.

* Arcum's Astrolabe was a contentious card that allowed free fixing, provided you used snow-covered lands. This served as a soft ban on basic lands that weren't snow, since to play basic that weren't snow gave away a large amount of information. Along with that was a resistance to any kind of land interaction, allowing perfect mana at basically no cost.

* Echo of Eons was a twist on Timetwister that played nice with Lion's Eye Diamond.

* Prismatic Vista was an omnifetch for basic lands and, crucially, also could fetch Wastes, meaning Eldrazi decks could play it.

* Urza, Lord High Artificer would combine with Karn and Narset in artifact-based decks seeking to stick a Narset and then play Echo of Eons to Mind Twist the opponent and get a fresh seven.

* Wrenn and Six went into several decks but proved to be at its best in RUG Delver and 4c Delver shells, where its ability to rebuy lands combined with Brainstorm for strong card advantage while also threatening an ultimate that would enable a player to rebuy Lightning Bolts. The card came down on Turn 2 and could also ping to defend itself, so it was very formidable when backed up by countermagic. Wrenn and Six was banned after a single cycle. Within that cycle, Core Set 2020 was released, which brought Veil of Summer, souped-up color hate that right away was used offensively and defensively. Elvish Reclaimer was a printing that slotted into Turbo Depths, functioning as a side plan and a Crop Rotation on a stick.

Throne of Eldraine brought Wishclaw Talisman, which along with Veil of Summer and Echo of Eons, was enough for Bryant Cook and his syndicate to redo TES.
    https://theepicstorm.com/the-new-epic-storm

Tragically, Throne of Eldraine also introduced Oko, Thief of Crowns, a three-mana planeswalker with extremely high starting loyalty and the ability to Elk any creature or artifact. Elking was similar to Beast Within, and was a plus ability. Oko was best friends with Arcum's Astrolabe, which helped fix the mana to cast Oko out of basically any combination of colors while also being a permanent to become a 3/3. This led to the rise of Snowko -- or Snow Control/Midrange -- decks, although Oko was played in a whole host of strategies, often alongside Veil of Summer.

Some awesome Legacy Premier League videos from Julian Knab and Anuraag Das give a good picture of this era of the format:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPuDpUGVvIA
    https://www.youtube.com/c/itsJulian23/videos
    https://itsjulian.com/season-3-archive/

Theros Beyond Death shook things up even further with Underworld Breach and Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath. Breach combined with Lion's Eye Diamond and Brain Freeze to self-mill and then generate the storm to mill out the opponent. Thassa's Oracle, from the same set, served as an easy win condition, although it was also possible to repeatedly Lightning Bolt someone after setting up self-mill.

The Breach era lasted a little over two months, getting axed after one cycle, much like Wrenn and Six. Right after Breach got banned, COVID-19's spread canned all tournaments, so the history from this point on was basically relegated to MTGO.

Uro was seeing a fair amount of play, but with Ikoria, WOTC introduced the companion mechanic, which was the worst disaster I've ever seen in Magic. WOTC patched it by changing the cost of it and banning numerous companions.

Oko had been a problem almost since its printing, and WOTC dragged their feet on a ban. When Kaldheim introduced Valki, God of Lies and enabled the Valki Cannon deck (which used cascade the cheat in the flipped side of Valki), WOTC finally acted decisively to try to clean things up. Oko, Astrolabe, and Dreadhorde caught the banhammer and the cascade rules were tweaked to prevent Valki shenanigans.

That about brings us to around the present.

For a much richer and more thorough accounting, I recommend jumping around a few months and years in the This Week in Legacy series, which has lots of decklists and commentary on week-by-week changes:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...&commit=Search

Thank you, ESG. That's fantastic!

RIP Ari

Thread Information