Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the last good RED card printed?

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Re: What was the last good RED card printed?

No way noone mentioned Magus of the Moon. Just sayin...
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Edit: Double post.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Guide, Spout, and to a lesser extent Crusher/Instigator because it's limited to Aggro Loam and Goblins respectively. Before that you'd have to go back to Onslaught block for Goblins and Torment for Lavamancer and before that... well poor Red just has shitty/dangerous mechanics that pushing them too much is dangerous ie Rite of Flame. LD is shit forevermore. Same with Fork-effects which have never been playable. You can't get much better than Lightning Bolt and that has been the marquee, nay the best, Red spell ever printed. That came out in ALPHA. How absolutely depressing. I don't even need to mention coin-flipping random trash that acts like a god damned albatross around Red's neck.

All I have to look forward too from new sets is maybe a decent Goblin or uh... yeah that's it.

Well, to be fair, Red probably has the best answer cards. Red Blasts, Ancient Grudge/Spree and Moon effects are very powerful. Unfortunately, those are sideboard cards and you still need 60 more.

Just a disgruntled Red mage's rant. It feels like power creep has completely passed over Red. :(

Edit: Silly me I forgot about Burning Wish.
    Completely agree with every sentiment expressed here. I love red, always have, but I just feel so depressed by the lack of love red has received in the last ~8 years.

Maybe they could print more welder style effects, or do something like make wither a core red mechanic. That would help mitigate some of the futility of attempting to burn out larger and larger creatures with each new set.

The coin flip and random stuff needs to go away...forever.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

As awesome as Blood Moon effects are, dont really see that much of them. Really havent played much at all against them sense tempothresh stopped playing magus of the moon for like 2 years ago.

I've been mulling over writing emails to WotC expressing my discontent. Hm.

What I've really been hoping for is cards that promote you playing monocolored decks more a la Phyrexian Obliterator or Koth. There seems like a lot of design space and you can really ramp up a cards power level, presumably over 9000, because there are far fewer applications for cards costed RRR or WWWW.

Quote Originally Posted by Gui View Post
    No way noone mentioned Magus of the Moon. Just sayin...
    Magus was printed in Future sight. Also printed in Future Sight:

Tombstalker
    Bridge from Below
    The Pacts
    Tarmogoyf

Well at least red got Shah of Naar Isle and Steamflogger Boss

YAY...

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Id like to see more nonbasic hosers, coupled with some decent double colored cards to get back to mono or 2colored decks. It would make the manabase cheaper and you wouldnt just play 3-4C goodstuff.decs

But thats another story.

About red, yeah I think the best cards are Bolt and Lavamancer. So Lavamancer was the last card printed ^^
    The SB cards are better, though, but Blast and Moon are even older
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Top 10 Red creatures?

Grim lavamancer, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Guide, Progenitus, Goblin Matron, Goblin Ringleader, Goblin Recruited, Magus of the Moon, Bloodbraid Elf, Figure of destiny.

There are 1306 red creatures including the multicolored and I had problems thinking of the 9th and 10th spot...

BTW, effects like those of Sneak Attack, Through the Breach, and Act of Treason could probably be expanded, powered up, and placed squarely in red's realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizso View Post
    Top 10 Red creatures?

Grim lavamancer, Goblin Lackey, Goblin Guide, Progenitus, Goblin Matron, Goblin Ringleader, Goblin Recruited, Magus of the Moon, Bloodbraid Elf, Figure of destiny.

There are 1306 red creatures including the multicolored and I had problems thinking of the 9th and 10th spot...
    This is sooo sad, but so true. Apparently the people at WOTC view red as an afterthought, if even that. How is it possible that in ~18 years and ~12,000 cards the ones listed above are very nearly the only decent red creatures printed?

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Searing Blaze is actually really fucking good.

Kargan Dragonlord is completely playable also.

But in general, yeah, the color doesn't get much love.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Searing Blaze is actually really fucking good.

Kargan Dragonlord is completely playable also.

But in general, yeah, the color doesn't get much love.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Red is just the saddest color ever...if you want a competitive 'red' deck you are required to splash other colors to make your deck good. See: Aggro loam, NO RUG, UWR stoneblade, etc. etc. It is without a doubt the worst color in legacy in my eye's. The best red card printed is wheel of fortune, which is banned so it might as well not exist. The 2nd best probably goes to burning wish.

But yeah I second that red should get more playable cards or something. Hell, they could probably print act of treason at 1R or even R and it would be fair.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by amon amarth View Post
    i've been mulling over writing emails to wotc expressing my discontent. Hm.

What i've really been hoping for is cards that promote you playing monocolored decks more a la phyrexian obliterator or koth. There seems like a lot of design space and you can really ramp up a cards power level, presumably over 9000, because there are far fewer applications for cards costed rrr or wwww.
    WIN!

On a side note, there have been a slew of decent red cards printed over the past few years, but the power level of a few certain other colors *cough*blueblack*cough* makes them seem insignificant at best...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rosewater
    The five colors of Magic are well balanced overall.

This kind of reminds of how when Bush was president and he'd get up on stage and say all that crazy and insane bullshit. Things that either didn't make any sense or everyone knew were total lies, but he somehow got elected for a second term.

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

Big fan of Shivan Dragon here.

I always thought that a red equivalent of Counterbalance (say, flip the top card, deal damage equal to CMC to target creature, maybe even a player?) would have been cool. However, I've always been a whore for Sensei's Divining Top, so that might just be me.

Or anyone remember Niv-Mizzet's triggered ability? Why not get that on an enchantment? maybe for 2RR or 1RRR?

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

A lackey creature probly not goblin, When played search for a creature in your library with less or equal to lands you control and put it into play haste and sac at eot:

3/1 for 1RR or
    2/1 for 1R
    2/2 for RR
    Haste
    When you play ---, search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost less or equal to the lands you control. Put that creature card onto the battlefield and it gains haste. At the beginning of end step sacrifice that creature.

@Top 10 Red creatures

I am missing
    * Goblin Welder
    * Imperial Recruiter
    on that list.

I also really like the new Chandra (though that card wont have an impact on legacy).

Non-basic lands are Mountains
    Apr 2011

Magus of the Moon obviously. :>
    The red cards i loved most were: Lightning Bolt, Grim Lavamancer, Sulfuric Vortex, Chain Lightning,
    Vial Goblins.dec, Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon, REB, Pyroblast and Fireblast. Good times.
    True strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me! -Kamahl, Pit Fighter

Thread Information