Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
Not looking forward to all of the places Sword of the Meek fits into, but hey, I'm happy overall.
Other than a UBx Tezzeret build or something like UW Tron, this combo isn't likely going into anything else. At least it promotes those types of decks into semi-relevant status. Or maybe it can create an Esper artifact control deck or something, because hey Thirst for Knowledge is good again! When Thopter/Sword was good in Extended, it was by far the best thing you could be doing at the time, at least in conjunction with Hexmage/Depths. Current Modern boasts far more decks and strategies that can just run over this. Unless the combo is assembled on turn 2-3, I imagine most aggro decks will crush these slow decks. Not to mention it already gets splash damage from the Affinity hate, so they have an uphill battle against Stony Silence/Destructive Revelry/Hurkyl's Recall/etc.

Also glad they kept Eldrazi Temple so that deck can exist in some capacity. It's still a fantastic aggro/midrange deck, albeit actually fair now.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if Ancestral Vision can now let me live the dream for Sphinx's Tutelage to be a thing in Modern.

EDIT: Saw the Mox Opal on watch theory. Certainly plausible, but I doubt Thopter decks will use more than one Mox unless they are full-blown dedicated artifact decks (and subsequently die to Stony Silence). If anything though, this all but confirms Stoneforge Mystic won't be taken off the banned list any time soon.