Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Banned List

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: Modern Banned List

I feel the obvious "What about Dig Through Time" retort coming. It's rare, in the same set.

Shine On
    Oct 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    ... What are they going to do, unban Stoneforge Mystic and then everyone plays that?
    Totally ;) I would play the shit out of Pod ft SFM. Hell, I'll play 4c and run JTMS too!

Quote Originally Posted by Valtrix View Post

Treasure Cruise just doesn't make sense
    Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see Cruise go, that certainly has no business in Modern (Nor Legacy even). What I was alluding to is more akin to a major format overhaul - Ponder, Preordain, SFM, Jace, (Troll), DRS, BBE, P Fires, GSZ, Sword of the Meek... at LEAST - but ofc its just a pipedream :(

And FWIW everyone I have slept on it and come to accept Pod's time in the sun is gone. I'll just look back on it with longing much like Survival (Pre-Vengevine, mind you) while I get jiggy with Geist + Monastery Mentor.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Despite most of our play group being butt-hurt by the ban announcement, looks like they still want to run a Modern FNM next month.

I haven't played Modern in probably 6 months or so, the last time I played Cruel Control (I actually really liked the deck).

Question is, what deck do you think Pod was holding down the most?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Despite most of our play group being butt-hurt by the ban announcement, looks like they still want to run a Modern FNM next month.

I haven't played Modern in probably 6 months or so, the last time I played Cruel Control (I actually really liked the deck).

Question is, what deck do you think Pod was holding down the most?
    BGx.

As in: Lily, Goyf, Decay and Siege Rhino.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    BGx.

As in: Lily, Goyf, Decay and Siege Rhino.
    I really didn't want to play Siege Rhino, but I guess I have to. I really don't want to buy a 4th one.

Also, is this a real deck?

1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    2 Thragtusk
    3 Snapcaster Mage

1 Dismember
    2 Dig Through Time
    2 Dimir Charm
    2 Disfigure
    2 Sultai Charm
    3 Mana Leak
    3 Shadow of Doubt
    3 Spell Snare
    3 Voidslime
    4 Abrupt Decay

1 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Black Sun's Zenith

3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Breeding Pool
    2 Forest
    2 Island
    2 Overgrown Tomb
    2 Swamp
    2 Watery Grave
    3 Creeping Tar Pit
    3 Ghost Quarter
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta

Sideboard
    1 Spellskite
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Damnation
    1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
    2 Last Word
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Memoricide
    3 Rain of Tears
    2 Feed the Clan

I know Dig is gone, but BUG appeals to me more than just slinging Rhinos at people.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

I think Voidslime isn't playable - at all. The only application I can see for it, is vs Twin, which you should be a massive favorite already, due to decay, Dimir Charm, Mana Leak etc.

BUG Without Goyf isn't playable, imo.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    I think Voidslime isn't playable - at all. The only application I can see for it, is vs Twin, which you should be a massive favorite already, due to decay, Dimir Charm, Mana Leak etc.

BUG Without Goyf isn't playable, imo.
    Yeah, I mean, I don't get it. I was thinking of trying a similar deck, except making the Voidslimes in to Cryptic Commands and squeezing in Goyfs. I should just make a thread, haha

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Yeah, I mean, I don't get it. I was thinking of trying a similar deck, except making the Voidslimes in to Cryptic Commands and squeezing in Goyfs. I should just make a thread, haha
    I think making a "Shardless BUG" list could be functional - ie a list with very strong midgame applications, and focusing on "just" bug good-stuff - Goyf, Cryptic, Thoughtseize, Liliana etc.

Dimir Charm seems really strong.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Gifts is mostly a big deck, the white is only for unburial rites, sometimes path, and a singleton lingering souls.

As far as bug good stuff goes, I've tried several versions. The one I liked most played a small creature suite (goyf, snap, clique) and played more of a mid-range role. I wanted to play stuff like Far//Away and Garruk Relentless. I never seemed to find a good groove with the deck. Maybe Sultai Charm is a decent gap-filler, it does everything you want just none of it efficiently. I would start here:

4x goyf
    4x snapcaster
    2x clique
    3x scavenging ooze

4x thoughtseize
    4x abrupt decay
    2x spell snare
    4x cryptic command
    2x sultai charm
    1x far//away
    1x garruk relentless
    3x liliana
    1x maelstrom pulse
    25 lands (tar pit, 7-8 fetch, 4-5 shock, 5 basics, treetop, tec edge)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2014
    Italy

Thoughts after the Fate reforged pro tour? We have only seen 5000 BGx decks, and some other cards laying around.
    Joke aside I do think that it's a huge presence and wizard might take a closer look into it.
    And I've never seen people so worried about Summer Bloom (Hive mind or whatever); personally I do like the deck and I have played it for some time now, but I do also think that Wizard doesn't like it, for sure.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

The pro tour has never been a place to look for innovation of new decks. 3x BGW, 2x Twin, 1x Amulet, 2x burn really doesn't say much. We knew those colors were good, but I remember seeing something around 3/8 players were playing BGW, so it's no surprise to see that many in top 8.

Either way, pros like to stay in their comfort zones for the PT, so I don't expect anything but an echo chamber from it.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I'm curious, does anyone think anything should happen with the banned list as of right now?

I usually am pro shaking up formats, but right now I don't think that anything needs to change in the format (which is a first). Maybe an unban or two would be interesting, but I think that the format diversity and "funness" (terrible metric, yeah I know) are really good right now.

So what does everyone else think? Did they finally get to a stable area in Modern?

I currently find it very hard to justify Sword of the Meek being on the banned list.

I threw a lot of crap Wizard's way with the way they banned things in Modern like crazy but, at least right now, it seems to have worked well enough. I'm able to step into a format that is wide-open, far from solved, and really interesting. It's hard to really identify any cards that are dominate or throw a wrench in the metagame's gears.

It would be pretty hard to justify putting anything else on the banned list at this point in time. Uh...good job Wizards?

As long as the Modern Metagame stays like it is now, nothing will happen (although, it makes me really sad to see Seething Song, Sword, BBE and Visions banned). The Modern metagame right now is so diverse, you can play nearly everything (from hyper aggro to Control, from Midrange to Combo, I mean, you can even play a Prison deck right now). Furthermore, as long as no deck violates the rules of Modern (mainly, having not a to big metagame share (like Pod, UR Delver, Storm, Jund,...), violates the turn 4 rule (keep in mind, it has to be a Tier 1 deck) and result in no time problem (like Eggs)), nothing will get banned/come of the banned list. Only when the metagame is really stale something comes from the list (like they did with Valakut) or something gets banned (basically as a compensation).

Greetings,
    Kathal

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Sword of the Meek would be interesting. I don't really see a problem happening with it since the hyper aggressive decks could blow by you before it really got set up, but it might just fit into some weird version of a tier 1 and I'm not seeing it coming.

How about Chrome Mox? I would love to see this card for some of the terrible home brews I've made, but would this be a disaster for a current tier 1 deck running with it? I don't think Affinity could get away with it for lack of non-artifacts... would it make Twin automatically a turn faster though?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathal View Post
    Only when the metagame is really stale something comes from the list (like they did with Valakut) or something gets banned (basically as a compensation).
    I don't think stale metagame has anything to do with it. Every single time they've unbanned something in Modern it was in the banning announcement immediately preceding the Modern Pro Tour. I'm pretty confident the Pro Tour being imminent is significantly more of an impetus for unbanning than any idea of things being "stale" is.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Sword of the Meek would be interesting. I don't really see a problem happening with it since the hyper aggressive decks could blow by you before it really got set up, but it might just fit into some weird version of a tier 1 and I'm not seeing it coming.
    It's hard to imagine it being in any of the Tier 1 decks. The best deck for it seems to be Tezzeret Control, which is like Tier 3 right now. The combo itself doesn't seem to be any more powerful than Twin, worse in a number of ways, so I don't see it as an issue.

People argue it's bad for aggro, but I don't see how gaining life and getting a few creatures is more harmful to aggro than getting attacked by infinite 1/4s.

How about Chrome Mox? I would love to see this card for some of the terrible home brews I've made, but would this be a disaster for a current tier 1 deck running with it? I don't think Affinity could get away with it for lack of non-artifacts... would it make Twin automatically a turn faster though?
    Unlikely to ever unban it due to fears of it breaking the turn 4 rule, even though I'm not sure any of the fast combo decks would even play it. It actually seems to work better in control decks.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

My thoughts:

1) Unban sword of the meek. Its weaker than twin combo (doesn't win on the spot), maindeck k-command everywhere, and overlapping hate is prevalent in sideboards (affinity.) Its also weak to scavenging ooze and other hate.

2) Unban ancestral visions. Its a morbidly slow card advantage tool that does however povide a niche way for blue decks to actually compete with cards like collected company and liliana. Without shardless agent there are no good cascade spells to enable broken plays. I feel that bloodbraid elf could potentially enable a good interaction here, but at 4 mana it isn't going to break any of moderns speed limits.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I don't think stale metagame has anything to do with it. Every single time they've unbanned something in Modern it was in the banning announcement immediately preceding the Modern Pro Tour. I'm pretty confident the Pro Tour being imminent is significantly more of an impetus for unbanning than any idea of things being "stale" is.
    Also I think I remember hearing from some WotC higher up employee that they like to do this because the Pro Tour is the place with the most incentive for people to break things. If they unban something that could be broken they expect to find it during the pro tour, even though it's suspect whether or not knowing about a problem helps them since the next ban period is still some months away.

People argue it's bad for aggro, but I don't see how gaining life and getting a few creatures is more harmful to aggro than getting attacked by infinite 1/4s.
    This, and right now aggro decks are more than just 1-2 creature per turn decks. They generally play Collected Company or have other ways to speed themselves up/slow you down such that 1 life and a 1/1 isn't scary unless the control deck were successfully able to control for the first few turns.

Unlikely to ever unban it due to fears of it breaking the turn 4 rule, even though I'm not sure any of the fast combo decks would even play it. It actually seems to work better in control decks.
    Yeah I'm basically worried it would just make Twin that much better. I really want to play it in non-combo style decks, but it might be one of those cards that fits into a lot of current decks and therefore just speeds up most of the format. Turn 2 Blood Moons or turn 1 Thalias could make things pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    2) Unban ancestral visions. Its a morbidly slow card advantage tool that does however povide a niche way for blue decks to actually compete with cards like collected company and liliana. Without shardless agent there are no good cascade spells to enable broken plays. I feel that bloodbraid elf could potentially enable a good interaction here, but at 4 mana it isn't going to break any of moderns speed limits.
    BBE is banned, but Ancestral still might be one of those cards that on its own isn't broken but reaches a critical mass. They did a great job by banning Ponder and Preordain to make sure blue wasn't this ultra-consistent cantrip shell that had to go in any deck unless you liked losing to bad draws (But that doesn't happen to formats, right guys????). Arguments could be made that Ponder or Preordain aren't really all that powerful too, but I really like the amount of card draw available right now. Blue cantrips are good enough that a lot of decks play them, but not so good that you basically lose without it.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Yeah, I know bloodbraid is banned. I was just describing the one potential way visions might be too good. I kind of feel that bloodbraid can come off the list too, but I'm not positive. Jund is still going strong and co-co decks may abuse it as another four mana card advantage engine.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information