Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Banned List

Re: Modern Banned List

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    If you bought a T1 Modern deck a year ago or 2 years ago it's hard to come up w/ a situation where you've lost much money. Whereas you play Standard competitively, you will spend a lot of money.

It sucks to have your deck banned from under you, but playing Standard competitively is the most guaranteed money suck of all.
    Yeah, hmmm. You're right. Damn this hobby! Best game ever and only reason I have to complain is the cost. I guess it could be worse.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

I was forced to try Modern because my city and surrounding areas (almost) abandoned Legacy format. I have to like a deck to play it and Twin was the only one in this format. Sure, I haven't lost much money. I don't even think that Twin was so favourite in the metagame. Banning because of Pro Tour seems so lame. Would rather see Goryo's Vengeance & Summer Bloom and more changes after the Pro Tour if needed.

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

I bought living end w/o some lands i had and fulminators for 50€

Also, the poster that quoted me and talked about dual/fetch package and had tried to draw an argument, really? Lands vs. Win condition? Not even once.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Yeah, hmmm. You're right. Damn this hobby! Best game ever and only reason I have to complain is the cost. I guess it could be worse.
    If you`re worried about future bans, pick a shell that won`t fall apart if one card gets banned. Splinter Twin was such a shell, virtually all the cards in those decks but Twin/Pestermite/Exarch are format staples that won`t drop in value, so that would have been a good choice. People will always play URx in some shape or form. GBx is also like that, and Zoo/Company decks. Affinity is middle of the road on this scale, because it can get nerfed pretty hard by a ban, but remain playable… I think. There`s no single card ban that can kill the deck afaik. Same with durrn… uh, Burn. GR Tron is probably the worst choice in this regard, as the deck will just die if one of its core pieces gets banned, and most of its cards aren`t played in a lot of other decks and will plummet, leaving you to build from scratch. B/x Eldrazi and Infect are also like that.

+1 on Modern being less of a money drain than Standard. No doubt.

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

What about living end? :)

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post

It depends on how the Eldrazi deck settles. Right now the deck is not one I would look at building thanks to the maindeck hate for Graves that is being employed by Eldrazi.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post

If you buy Living End, you have the cards to play... Living End. Almost no cards carry over to other decks, it`s basically Fulminator Mage and lands. On the other hand, it`s not too expensive, I guess.

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

I already have it, minus Fulminator.

It's a fun and quite a competitive deck

Just an off-topic musing, but I wonder how many cards could come off the banned list tomorrow if Force of Will was miraculously in the format.

Nov 2014
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by T-101 View Post
    Just an off-topic musing, but I wonder how many cards could come off the banned list tomorrow if Force of Will was miraculously in the format.
    You mean: if only we where playing legacy?
    Last edited by Spam; 01-29-2016 at 05:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Brainstorm is easy to play

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by T-101 View Post
    Nothing because the green decks still can not handle them, and Wizards wants a high # of cdecks with no blue cards, as to many players see an island and 4 blue cards in a deck and then ignore the rest of the deck for its color identity...

Mar 2013

A lot of the Blue Control decks in Modern are actually dependent on Black cards for the real control they have on the game. Blue offers the ability to slightly filter or rebuy spells, not really control the game.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by sjmcc13 View Post
    Nothing because the green decks still can not handle them, and Wizards wants a high # of cdecks with no blue cards, as to many players see an island and 4 blue cards in a deck and then ignore the rest of the deck for its color identity...
    Not necessarily.

The mere existence of Force changes a format. As we see in Legacy, Force causes decks to would otherwise fold to it to find countermeasures. Storm, for instance, has to play discard, which slows it down by a turn or so.

I wonder if it would be the same for Modern. Would people really go all-in on turn 2 for Grishoalbrand if they knew that there was a decent chance the opponent had Force? Maybe they'd have to start playing Probe and discard for insurance, which would slow them down enough for some of the fair decks to present a threat.

I mean, obviously there are still gonna be the maniacs out there, like blind-turn-1-Belcher-guy, and SI guy, but for the most part, the all-in combos would probably have to respect Force. Not saying it's guaranteed it would be a good thing for the format, but it's interesting to think about on occasion.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Sooo... Considering the PT I just watched, in my opinion WotC made a big mess out of Modern. I have a feeling April will be a month with new bannings. Honestly, this is just sad.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Mar 2013

I am glad I was already selling out after the Twin ban.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Sooo... Considering the PT I just watched, in my opinion WotC made a big mess out of Modern. I have a feeling April will be a month with new bannings. Honestly, this is just sad.
    They took a format where Control decks are weak, and killed of the major combo's.
    All that is left are midrange and aggro decks. Aggro tends to be stronger during changes in the metagame, while the rest of the decks are adapting.
    Hopefully there is more to come, and the format recovers, but it feels like Wizards screwed up due to echo cambering themselves.

It also does not help they they seem to have been pushing Eldrazi in Oath, I honestly think Mimic should have been 3 mana or at least had a colourless in its cost, as eye making it free is dangerous since there is the potential to drop multiple turn 1, an have them be at least 4 power when they swing on Turn 2. Heck the "Colourless" Eldrazi decks were running SSG meaning they had a chance to drop multiple mimics turn 1 and then a turn 2 Reality Smasher, with even 1 turn 1 mimic a turn 2 smasher is 10 damage right then and there.

The reason for banning Twin made no logical sense IT was not overpowered it was just popular, partly because it did not suffer from a weakness that they created in the rest of the format. Even if you accept the BS of them claiming that being a PT format means it has to change, which it does not outside of their heads, the ban if forcing change through the worst and laziest method available. It signals that they will kill you decks, and modern is not a safe investment like Reserved list cards which are both bad for the game in the long run. What they should be doing is having R&D actually design with modern in mind (there is not reason they can not, even if it is just adding 1-2 card here and there to strengthen fringe decks), targeted hate cards will not cut it since sideboards are already to random for you to reliable see anything you only have room in your board for 1 copy of the only reason things like that work in Legacy is the strength of BS + Fetch with other draw fixers (if we want t claim this is a game of skill then the match has to rely on more then who finds the 1-2 in 60 card that shuts down their opponent out of their first 15)

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Sooo... Considering the PT I just watched, in my opinion WotC made a big mess out of Modern. I have a feeling April will be a month with new bannings.
    That PT alone will have sold a lot of OGW packs, though. I suspect that from their point of view, everything is turning out perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    That PT alone will have sold a lot of OGW packs, though. I suspect that from their point of view, everything is turning out perfect.
    I actually wonder about that. The Eldrazi deck showed off, but it also did so well that it probably turned a lot of people off of the format. Selling product because it has cards that are powerful in a particular format isn't going to work if people are avoiding the format.

Yeah, I'm really getting all disenchanted with Modern as a format. I keep trying to be interested in it, but it is just meh.

I'm already over all the Eldrazi decks.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

This has been a problem that's presented itself since before Tron. There are no good ways to deal with nonbasic lands that break the format, and it's showing itself once more.

Tron has always been a problem in my opinion due to its ridiculous potential on turn 3, and no good land killing so that stuff like Blood Moon is a mere bump in the road. Amulet Bloom was slightly more ridiculous in that it could show its ridiculous potential on turn 2 (or even 1 with a nuts draw). That got a ban, but the ban doesn't fix the original problem. Now we're just seeing the same exact problem one more time with this stupid Eldrazi bullshits deck.

Eye of Ugin definitely needs to go, playing 2 mana mimics for free on turn 1 will be broken forever in this format, but that doesn't get to the root of it all. Give us a goddamn way to stop people from just assembling nonbasics so we can play a real format.

Legacy and Vintage have already died for me. Modern is on life support. I'll be watching closely to see if they actually fix it or I'm going to just be done with the game.

Thread Information