get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Re: Modern Banned List

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Maybe if it was

Anti chalice XXX

Players can't play spells with converted mana cost lower than X
    Ramp up 51 mana. Cast Anti-Chalice. Win with Dryad Arbor beats.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I liked the theoretical hate bear that someone made up of "players can't cast spells with a mana cost greater than the number of lands they control"
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I liked the theoretical hate bear that someone made up of "players can't cast spells with a mana cost greater than the number of lands they control"
    I know this is the modern thread...but the first thing I thought of when I read this is "nice Force of Will, bruh". It's probably the flavor text on that card or something.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    They should print some new powerful cards as these.

Anti chalice. XX

Antichalice enters the battlefield with X counters. Players can't play spells with converted mana cost higher than X.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Maybe if it was

Anti chalice XXX

Players can't play spells with converted mana cost lower than X
    My preference would be something like :

Anti-Chalice XX
    Comes into play with 8-x counters
    Players can't play spells with converted mana cost higher than the 3 of counters on anti-Chalice
    10: remove a counter from Anti-Chalice, this costs 1 less to activate for every counter on Anti-Chalice.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I wish I could read
    Apr 2012
    Flur-ida, Murika

Modern is dead as long as the eldrazi decks are still real. 3 of my 5 rounds in league were against eldrazi decks. I was on naya burn and I wont 3 games of the 3 matchs. winning only a single match. t1 eye, mimic, endless 2/2, endless 2/2. t2 temple, TKS, 8 dmg is horse$h*t.

Prices in legacy are making it impossible for new players to break in.

Standard is a wet noodle fight.

Magic is circling the drain and wotc just wants all the money they can as it b-lines for the drain.
    MTGO: Ricardio

Nic Fit: legacy's magical EDH deck

I came here to party and resolve prime time triggers.

"Well, I ain't calling you a truther." -Josh

IMGUR:http://ricardio69.imgur.com/all/

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardio View Post
    Modern is dead as long as the eldrazi decks are still real. 3 of my 5 rounds in league were against eldrazi decks. I was on naya burn and I wont 3 games of the 3 matchs. winning only a single match. t1 eye, mimic, endless 2/2, endless 2/2. t2 temple, TKS, 8 dmg is horse$h*t.

Prices in legacy are making it impossible for new players to break in.

Standard is a wet noodle fight.

Magic is circling the drain and wotc just wants all the money they can as it b-lines for the drain.
    Seems like there's a fair amount of salt in this post.

While I agree that legacy (and to some extent modern) prices are ridiculous, and that standard is not particularly exciting at the moment, the largest sales numbers ever and huge spikes in GP attendance seem to refute your "circling the drain" comments. Yes, the eldrazi decks are everywhere. WotC has banned cards for less, and I'm sure this will be no exception to that. Give it a little time and we can all move on to heralding the end of days from whatever the next boogyman is.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Nov 2014
    Italy

Well, that was fast. April is going to be a lot more empty without those lovely Eldrazi.
    Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Brainstorm is easy to play

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Tron players, how bad will an Eye of Ugin ban hit your deck? Does it make it much worse?

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Isn't the SCG tournament scene dominated by players following the current bandwagon/new hotness decks?

Sep 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by sjmcc13 View Post
    Isn't the SCG tournament scene dominated by players following the current bandwagon/new hotness decks?
    I don't know? People generally don't drive/fly then pay a 50 dollar entry fee to register a total shit deck. It did very well at the PT, follows that versions would show up at following events.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Tron players, how bad will an Eye of Ugin ban hit your deck? Does it make it much worse?
    I'm pretty sure it makes the deck much worse. There's a lot of acient stirrings/scrying sheets late game synergy stuff that the deck uses.

Hard, very hard. Their BGx and Control match-up will get way worse, since they are lacking the lategame with Eye. For all other match-ups nothing will change, since Eye will get boarded out in those match-ups like 80% of the time. This will lead into a increase of threads + a slight reconfiguration of the sweepers (less O-Stone, more Ugin, overall maybe around 11-12 threads) just to be able to reliable cast something.

While it is the worst land in the deck, it is also the best one IF you reach a certain state of the game.

Greetings,
    Kathal

It takes a hit. Eye of Ugin can be replaced with Conduit of Ruin, but you have to run more copies of Conduit of Ruin than Eye of Ugin (as Sylvan Scrying and Expedition Map can't grab Conduit of Ruin) and Conduit of Ruin has the big issue of being unable to grab Wurmcoil Engine, so you'd probably have to consider replacing those with cards that can be tutor'd for, like Platinum Angel or Platinum Emperion (or try to go more all-in on the "cast Ulamog" plan, which the Conduit of Ruin helps out with).

It's a case of having to use more slots up to accomplish what previously you were able to do with one, and the fact that what was previously one of your best creatures is considerably depowered.

Yep, there really needs to be a penalty to playing nonbasics. I think Shock lands and fetch lands are pretty well balanced, since if you get too greedy you get a metagame full of burn decks to show you how wrong you are for going 5 color. Utility lands, especially ones that come into play untapped or produce mana (or "effective mana") right away have very little drawback to them. Waiting until turn 3 just isn't good enough, there needs to be something you can do before then, or we'll just have a nonstop line of decks that need to be banned. Started with 12 post, then it was amulet bloom, and it'll keep going until something really changes the fact that some nonbasics are just too good.

I don't really think Wasteland or an equivalent would help the format since the shocks are already a penalty. We just need something more geared towards the nonbasics that don't have strong penalties already associated with them.
    It's one of the biggest problems WOTC has with Modern. The format doesn't include any of the overpowered "answer" cards or the tools to enable the ones it does have, like a T1 Moon, or Price of Progress, or Wasteland, or a Force of Will equivalent. Hell, Modern doesn't even have Counterspell, which is a card that would really, really, really help with a lot this stuff. That's why they keep having to ban so many things, because the set of cards available just doesn't exist to answer non-linear strategies, whether that strategy is based on accelerated mana, or on very redundant combinations - i.e. Splinter Twin having up to 8 copies of both combo pieces.

Modern doesn't have "Glass Cannons" because nobody in Modern has a glass-breaking hammer. Modern just has Cannons. And that's why the format and ban list are such a mess, and will continue to be such in the future.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Idk, Modern attendance has been sky high. Modern card prices are soaring. They've printed two Modern-dedicated sets in the last 3 years (2013 and 2015). They actively police the format, suggesting they care very much about it's long-term health ($$$ maker). No format is perfect, but it really can't be as bad as you claim if it's been doing nothing but growing since it's inception.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Decently backed rumors say Eye of Ugin is gone.

Speculations on the new top deck? Infect/Affinity/podless-pod? Can a true control deck emerge now?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Decently backed rumors say Eye of Ugin is gone.

Speculations on the new top deck? Infect/Affinity/podless-pod? Can a true control deck emerge now?
    Grixis Control can somewhat. The top decks are likely to be Infect, Affinity, Burn, Coco and Jund/Junk. Tron is going to take a real hit since R/G loses access to its 9/13 copies of Eye to end the game with, Scapeshift is too slow in such a fast Meta, Fish might find a home but it just dies hard to Affinity, Elves could make a comeback, the meta not hostile to is as long as Jund and Grixis are not too large and I think Kiki Chord will come to the fore again.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

There were a few UW control lists going around a couple months ago, before the eldrazi came. UWR control might have it's moment in the sun again as well if these fast creature combo decks are the new norm. I've also always been very partial to 4 or 5 color Gifts control decks that really were just bad against the turn 2 kills and Tron. Turn 2 kills exist but now that we don't have to hedge so hard against abusive lands there's a decent amount of slots to put in more sacrifice effects.

I'll be playing Deathcloud for a while though, hopefully persist shenanigans don't run supreme.

Thread Information