Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: Modern Banned List

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Re: Modern Banned List

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Not looking forward to all of the places Sword of the Meek fits into, but hey, I'm happy overall.
    Other than a UBx Tezzeret build or something like UW Tron, this combo isn't likely going into anything else. At least it promotes those types of decks into semi-relevant status. Or maybe it can create an Esper artifact control deck or something, because hey Thirst for Knowledge is good again! When Thopter/Sword was good in Extended, it was by far the best thing you could be doing at the time, at least in conjunction with Hexmage/Depths. Current Modern boasts far more decks and strategies that can just run over this. Unless the combo is assembled on turn 2-3, I imagine most aggro decks will crush these slow decks. Not to mention it already gets splash damage from the Affinity hate, so they have an uphill battle against Stony Silence/Destructive Revelry/Hurkyl's Recall/etc.

Also glad they kept Eldrazi Temple so that deck can exist in some capacity. It's still a fantastic aggro/midrange deck, albeit actually fair now.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if Ancestral Vision can now let me live the dream for Sphinx's Tutelage to be a thing in Modern.

EDIT: Saw the Mox Opal on watch theory. Certainly plausible, but I doubt Thopter decks will use more than one Mox unless they are full-blown dedicated artifact decks (and subsequently die to Stony Silence). If anything though, this all but confirms Stoneforge Mystic won't be taken off the banned list any time soon.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    Other than a UBx Tezzeret build or something like UW Tron, this combo isn't likely going into anything else. At least it promotes those types of decks into semi-relevant status. Or maybe it can create an Esper artifact control deck or something, because hey Thirst for Knowledge is good again!
    UB Faeries will probably just jam the combo in (and add Thirst) because Sword of the Meek is just good value in that deck. It's not widely played and I doubt it even reaches tier 2 status, though.

Tron suddenly having the option of dumping out 7+ thopters a turn is certainly interesting/threatening, though they already have a ton of giant game ending options.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    UB Faeries will probably just jam the combo in (and add Thirst) because Sword of the Meek is just good value in that deck. It's not widely played and I doubt it even reaches tier 2 status, though.
    Considering those decks didn't do that when they had the option last time Thopter/Sword was available in Extended, they probably wouldn't do it this time either. Besides, considering how underwhelming Faeries is in Modern on its own, there's likely a far better shell for the combo. This is likely what causes Tezzeret to viable (DERP, it spiked already to $40 whodathunk?) or will allow an Esper shell with Thirst and/or Gifts to be a legitimate thing.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I guess more specifically I'm worried about the ridiculousness of Ensnaring Bridge in Modern now. It was already jammed in a lot of decks and we saw how annoying/powerful it is. Artifact control decks like Lantern could easily throw the combo in there, and even affinity can use the Ensnaring Bridge shenanigans with instant cranial plating. I'm not looking forward to a large percentage of decks that just sit with bridge and thopters until they kill you.

I'm looking forward to brewing UB Tezz in the new modern. Starting point:

4 TfK
    4 Tezz, Agent of Bolas
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    X Sword of the Meek
    X Thopter Foundry
    X Signets / Talismans
    X Academy Ruins
    ? Chalice of the Void
    ? Discard (Thoughtseize / IoK)
    ? Murderous Cut
    ? Mox Opal
    ? Liliana of the Veil
    ? Ancestral Visions
    ? Damnation
    ? Engineered Explosives
    ? Spellskite
    ? Ensnaring Bridge

Lots to figure out. The optimal build is probably quite far away, but this deck would certainly have powerful options.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I like UB Tezz but I think Blue Tezz is better. You can tutor certain hate/win cards.

The only thing UB Tezz has is it can win through a Bridge.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I like UB Tezz but I think Blue Tezz is better. You can tutor certain hate/win cards.

The only thing UB Tezz has is it can win through a Bridge.
    I don't think UB Tezz is great, but it also has going for it that it costs 1 less and can "win the game" if left unchecked (though blue tezz can too). Its +1 is also better than U Tezz's +1, and it's -1 is not too shabby.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

To those worried about ensnaring bridge and such, do you know the card ancient grudge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    To those worried about ensnaring bridge and such, do you know the card ancient grudge?
    Yeah, thanks, insightful.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Ancient Grudge implies RG, which isn't a very strong foundation in Modern. Also, Lantern runs seemingly infinite Spellskite and Welding Jar, so targeted removal spells aren't quite as effective as you'd hope.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Ancient Grudge implies RG, which isn't a very strong foundation in Modern. Also, Lantern runs seemingly infinite Spellskite and Welding Jar, so targeted removal spells aren't quite as effective as you'd hope.
    Dunno. RGB Dredge just got a lot stronger.

Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

I assume you mean Living End? It's a good deck, I agree, and it's been VERY well positioned in the Eldrazi meta as it had turn 3 sweeper potential. Do you think it'll get stronger in the presumed blue meta?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Shatter storm. Creeping Corrosion. Fracturing Gust. Whatever. Artifacts have a million ways to be destroyed. I don't understand why anyone ever complains about artifacts

Edit: Hurkylls Recall
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Shatter storm. Creeping Corrosion. Fracturing Gust. Whatever. Artifacts have a million ways to be destroyed. I don't understand why anyone ever complains about artifacts

Edit: Hurkylls Recall
    This is one of my favorite posts.

Creatures? Path, bolt, wrath of god. I don't understand why anyone ever complains about creatures.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    This is one of my favorite posts.

Creatures? Path, bolt, wrath of god. I don't understand why anyone ever complains about creatures.
    They generally don't. And that's why lodestone golem was the first creature restricted in a long long time in vintage. I don't know about modern, but this is a format after all that banned Wild Nacatl so maybe the players in modern do simply bitch about any and everything. I just thought the bitching about an extremely easy to remove card like ensnaring bridge was funny

Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

In the deck that Bridge is played in, Lantern Control, it isn't quite as easy to deal with as you'd think, especially game 1. They have maindeck Spellskite and Welding Jar en masse to protect from removal that you topdecked, because your hand is definitely getting ripped to shreds via discard.

Also, it's important to retain perspective. Wild Nacatl saw a ban in Dec 2011. 2011. I mean, there was a time when many people in Legacy were calling for Goblin Lackey ban, which just seems ridiculous today, but wasn't so ridiculous back in, what, 2007?

Jun 2015
    NYC

Bridge is a pretty oppressive card, they obviously wouldn't print it today. Its saving grace is probably that most people don't enjoy playing *with* Ensnaring Bridge-style decks and don't want to buy $40 Bridges. But the Lantern deck is quite good and quite consistent. However, I think they should actually ban Ancient Stirrings. It's the strongest cantrip in the format by a huge margin, and regularly finds itself giving ridiculous consistency to combo decks based around lands/artifacts (Tron, Bloom, now Lantern, surely something else in the future) while everyone else is left playing Serum Visions. When you can't count on having a Bridge *every* game, Lantern becomes much worse, maybe even unplayable on a competitive level, sorta like 8-rack.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

My thought is that if your opponent assembles the durdletron of Bridge+Lantern+Mill Artifact+Welding Jar/Spellskite+whatever they use to kill you with, they deserve their win and sometimes you have to accept that.

Jun 2015
    NYC

When the deck is nothing but those cards + some light disruption + Ancient Stirrings, it manages to do it quite regularly and quickly. You don't need every single one of those cards immediately, once you're sitting behind a Bridge you have plenty of time to build the rest of the fort.

Bridge is really a ridiculous card in Modern especially as there are few reliable counterspells to stop someone's 'key card', decks are far more creature-based in general and combo isn't as present (or fast enough) to punish you for a few turns of durdling.

If you're truly stuck to drawing one of your 4 copies of Bridge and don't have great library manipulation, you can't build a consistent deck off that card. Ancient Stirrings patches that hole for Lantern, so banning that pretty much turns it into a janky T2 combo deck, which is probably where a deck like that belongs. I mean, it's a cool and super creative deck - in theory - but if it becomes a large part of the meta it could actually cause people to quit the format.

Just curious.
    Why don't you guys go to the MtGSalvation Modern banlist discussion which is much more active than this one?
    I'll link it below:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...-4-2016-eye-of

Thread Information