Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article] Too Much Information -- Seattle, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Boston Legacy Opens

Treshplayer
    Dec 2003
    VA

[Article] Too Much Information -- Seattle, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Boston Legacy Opens

I think the link to this will go up on SCG's main page on Monday, but if you're going to Atlanta, you might want to see it now. It's got breakdowns of the last four Opens, matchup statistics for the most popular decks, and a graph of their popularity since New Phyrexia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. nitewolf "Professor" 9, Ph.D. View Post
    I personally like spell snare against 2 cc spells, but it really isn't good against spells that aren't 2 cc. With engineered explosives, it is a good card to have against non-land permanents with converted mana cost equal to what you set the explosives to, but it doesn't hit those that have differing cc. Plus, engineered explosives has sunburst.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Re: [Article] Too Much Information -- Seattle, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Boston Legacy Op

Nice article, thanks, look like the format is finally maturing around some stable decks.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Re: [Article] Too Much Information -- Seattle, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Boston Legacy Op

What's EV?
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Gui View Post
    What's EV?
    Expected Value. Something that is bad EV would be trying to break CYOS because, well, it's not very relevant.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Expected Value. Something that is bad EV would be trying to break CYOS because, well, it's not very relevant.
    Hmmm... I see... how is it obtained?
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.

I think what they mean by it is expected performance of based on historical matchup records and the make up of the open.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ajfennewald View Post
    I think what they mean by it is expected performance of based on historical matchup records and the make up of the open.
    I got it, but these are specific %s there, how were they obtained?

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Dec 2003
    Fredericksburg, Va

We calculate the EV ("expected value") number by multiplying a given deck's aggregate matchup win percentage against another deck (right now, that would be the overall matchup result since New Phyrexia became legal) by that other deck's percentage of the field, then doing the same for every other matchup the given deck could have faced, and then adding the results together. The result is an average of a deck's win percentages, weighted by the breakdown of the tournament. It is the win percentage against a random matchup in that field.

We introduced this concept in our analysis of the Boston and Charlotte Opens back in May. Although the numbers are outdated, now, I'll quote the partial calculation, in case it makes things clearer.

For example, to calculate Merfolk's expected value for Boston, we multiply its matchup against the mirror over the course of the year (49.58%) with Merfolk's field presence in Boston (11.11%), which equals 5.51%, then add Merfolk's matchup against Bant (50.90%) times Bant's field presence (9.52%), which equals 4.85%, and then continue through the rest of the field, for a final value of 51.74%.

An EV of 51.74% is not exceptional, but it is positive, and it isn't far from Merfolk's actual performance in the event. If the numbers were further apart, we might seek explanation, such as matchups somehow changing for that event, or pairings that were not representative of the field.
    I hope that makes sense. We aren't too sure how to interpret EV numbers, or the differences between them and actual performances, simply because it's difficult to define the significance of either. However, they are interesting, and we've decided over the course of writing these articles that win percentage and EV are close enough, often enough, that deviations are at least worth mentioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9
    I can show up whenever I vomit off my hangover and get rid of the passed out females who's naked bodies will be sprawled out all over my condo. Oh wait, I'm engaged. FUCK.

Well in that case I can be there at like 2 then, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheBestEver View Post
    I built my car with my bare hands. It has 32 engines and 17 gas pedals so I can go extra-turbo fast. I sold it for a million dollars and then stole it from the guy using my super computer that can hack into any car in the world as long as I built it. Now I speed down the highway listening to Bruce Springsteen at max volume and flipping off other drivers.

What are regrets?

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Ok, so let me see if I got it right:

You get the data from previous tourney, calculate EV using the aforementioned algorithm, and compare to the current data to check the deviation from EV to real winning % against the field?

Oh, and if this is so, could you post the next EV for these decks? :D

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I think one thing stood out for me very oddly. The low amount of Maverick being played, which is no surprise to anyone in the USA. It's incredible how few people play it here in the US, while its numbers in Europe are abundant.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Just want to repport 1 little mistake in the SCG Pittsburg chart. According to it, there was 1 "Hulk combo" deck in the field, that finished 131th with a 2-2 record. I was in fact playing "Hulk combo" and was probably the only one at Pittsburg, and my result was 7-1 + 2 I.D. for a 4th position. I understand that did not matter a lot, but still.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Conclusion: Right now, play NO Rug if you're good and want to do well in a big tournament. If you're feeling a little lucky, go for Hive Mind which has greater variance.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Right now, RUG is popular and is a bad time for playing Hive Mind. U/W Stoneforge is a better choice since it has decent match ups against the tier decks.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I'm considering NO Rug > UW because it just has the sickest sideboard options being UGr. Especially red with Ancient Grudge, Red Blasts, Grim Lavamancer and maindeck Bolts and Firce Ice destroy like half of the format right now.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

I would like to point out that 4C Loam decks have been flying under the radar. With an EV of 54%+, it has outperformed Team America and BUG in the last 3 Opens, decks which were previously dominant post-MM.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Conclusion: Right now, play NO Rug if you're good and want to do well in a big tournament. If you're feeling a little lucky, go for Hive Mind which has greater variance.
    Or just play a blue deck with 4 Lavamancers maindeck and 4 Pyroblasts SB and smash both, as well as Merfolk.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Or if you're actually good you find a deck that has a favorable matchup vs. NO Rug, UW Mystic, and Merfolk and you have a favorable matchup vs. the most important 25%+ of the field.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Treshplayer
    Dec 2003
    VA

Quote Originally Posted by Xantid Swarm View Post
    Just want to repport 1 little mistake in the SCG Pittsburg chart. According to it, there was 1 "Hulk combo" deck in the field, that finished 131th with a 2-2 record. I was in fact playing "Hulk combo" and was probably the only one at Pittsburg, and my result was 7-1 + 2 I.D. for a 4th position. I understand that did not matter a lot, but still.
    It looks like your deck from Pittsburgh was listed as "NO Toolbox", though it was listed as "Hulk Combo" in Providence and Boston. There are a few other decks that have been called "Hulk Combo" (including the 131st place deck in Pittsburgh), but since I don't have the lists, I don't honestly know how similar those decks are to yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. nitewolf "Professor" 9, Ph.D. View Post
    I personally like spell snare against 2 cc spells, but it really isn't good against spells that aren't 2 cc. With engineered explosives, it is a good card to have against non-land permanents with converted mana cost equal to what you set the explosives to, but it doesn't hit those that have differing cc. Plus, engineered explosives has sunburst.

i know for fact belcher went 4-5 in boston and won matches against burn, rdw, glimpse si, and non-existant opponent number 1. lol. By the way playing four turns of draw go against that si almost made me crap my pants.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

It's a great article, keep up the good work! ^^

Could we have the EV for the next event?

Thread Information