Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Zur, the Enchanter

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

[Deck] Zur, the Enchanter

I made a similar deck in Legacy, and it ports very well into Modern.
    Before the discussion, here's
    The Deck.

3 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Tidehollow Sculler
    2 Vendilion Clique
    3 Aven Mindcensor
    3 Zur the Enchanter
    4 Geist of Saint Traft
    2 Snapcaster Mage

2 Steel of the Godhead
    1 Detention Sphere

2 Far Away

3 Path to Exile
    4 Serum Visions
    4 Remand

1 Eiganjo Castle
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    2 Celestial Colonnade
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Watery Grave
    2 Hallowed Fountain
    1 Godless Shrine
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    1 Glacial Fortress
    1 Overgrown Tomb
    2 Tectonic Edge

Sideboard
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Rest in Peace
    3 Dismember
    1 Threads of Disloyalty
    1 Blind Obedience (Splinter Twin, eggs, burn)
    2 Stony Silence (GR Tron, Affinity)
    1 Detention Sphere
    1 Circle of Protection: Red

Sideboard is super flexible with access to many different enchantments depending on your metagame. Here are some possibilities you may want:

Liliana of the Veil
    Spellskite
    Runed Halo
    Declaration of Naught
    Spirit Mantle
    Shielding Plax
    Nevermore
    Stony Silence
    Bribery
    Telemin Performance
    Mindbreak Trap
    Duress
    Go for the Throat /Shriekmaw (you take out Bob in any game you need this in anyway)
    Memoricide/Cranial Extraction
    Mark of Asylum
    Wheel of Sun and Moon
    Luminarch Ascension
    Story Circle
    Meddling Mage

Why play this deck?

Modern's metagame varies almost as widely as Legacy's. No particular deck can have an answer to everything, but this deck does it's best to. Zur gives you access to powerful enchantments that will be able to put you so far ahead if you ever get to swing with him that he wins the game by himself. Besides that, enchanting Geist of Saint Traft with Steel of the Godhead should take care of almost any "fair" deck by itself. Playing white gives you access to great disruption and sideboard choices, like Aven Mindcensor, Path to Exile, Meddling Mage, Ghostly Prison, Stony Silence, and Rest in Peace. Playing blue gives you access to Remand, Negate, and Vendilion Clique as ways to stop other decks from doing unfair things. Azorius Guildmage might not look like much, but his ability counters everything from Fetches to Karn activations, while being able to tap out fatties from Tarmogoyf to Emrakul.

Zur requires many correct choices to play, but gives you the tools to handle any deck, if done correctly.

Finally, Zur is a control deck with a positive matchup against Tron (at least in my testing on MTGO I've won all daily matches against them).
    Last edited by Phoenix Ignition; 10-15-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: [Deck] Zur, the Enchanter

Saving for future use. Also, updated the original list quite a bit, due to much playtesting.

So there are only 2 disruptive enchantments: a single Threads and a single Detention Sphere. The rest of the time you can get Zur up to a 5/8(!)

I don't think Zur is any good in this deck.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Yeah, why is Zur in this deck? So I can tutor up a threads/dsphere on turn 4 if I land a deathrite and if I protect Zur and if I'm not currently playing against combo?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Most of the better disruption Enchantments are in the sideboard (Rest in Peace, Stony Silence, Ghostly Prison, CoP:red). These are, however, dead cards against 80% of decks and instant-wins (almost) against the other 20%. You could run a 1-of main for these if you knew your metagame well enough, but yeah, I agree the disruption doesn't hit until games 2 or 3.

I think you do underestimate how good a 3/6 Lifelink Unblockable is in this format, and especially a 5/8 Lifelink unblockable. That alone can beat a lot of decks that try to damage race you. It is very common, though, to swing with Zur + other UW creature and enchant that one (typically best with a Geist). Other than that, swinging to deal 1 and stealing a Goyf/Bob/DRS/whatever else is a huge tempo swing, and it's not like you don't still get to use your mana on the swinging turn. Swinging for 1 and Exiling a fresh Wurmcoil is also game changing. Yes, these aren't game over moments for other decks, but how much card advantage does he need to generate to put the win out of reach for the opponent? Stoneforge Mystic was banned in this format, and equipping a Steel to any UW creature is almost as good as putting down a Batterskull anyway.

I know you specifically know this deck from legacy, so you should know that Pemmin's Aura wasn't the kill-con of the deck there. Counterbalance was great and all, but a watered down Zur deck in a watered down Legacy format may still be worth playing.

Counterbalance was the key reason to play that deck. Also, I never found the Zur deck to be good in non-blue matchups; you went way over the top of the other Counterbalance decks, but I was a giant dog to attacking decks.

I get how good putting Steel of the Godhead on a Geist is, but it just seems like Batterskull is doing 80% of what you're asking.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Report for a Daily I just played in:

Round 1: nizuzen with UW control (with Sun Titan, Cryptic Command)

Game 1: I keep a pretty decent hand, but miss a couple land drops. Geist of Saint Traft on turn 3 gets in there, and I'm able to Path a Snapcaster to keep him alive, but eventually his 2nd Snapcaster kills Geist off (after Tec Edging the Eiganjo). He stabilizes at 2 life and I draw all lands. We trade some spells/creatures for a bit and his board starts to look pretty good (double Kitchen Finks). My hand consists of Steel of the Godhead + Shielding Plax (damn you dead cards!), but eventually I'm able to stick a Zur against his 3x Kitchen Finks + Sun Titan + wall. I load up Zur with the previously dead cards, making him a 3/6 hexproof lifelink unblockable who fetches me up a Sphere for 3x Kitchen Finks. Eventually, though I'm unable to race his Colonnade + Sun Titan after he D-Spheres my own Steels.

SB: in: 4 Thoughtseize
    1 D sphere
    1 RiP (I like the 1-of against Snap+sun Titan and maybe even a Finks, but no need for 2)
    out: 1 Steel of the Godhead (not trying to race, him really)
    2 Aven Mindcensor
    4 Remand

Game 2: My hand of Thoughtseize + 2 Tidehollow Sculler + 2 Vendillion Clique beats the crap out of his hand of 4 lands, Cryptic Command, Path, and Resto Angel. I kill him on turn 5 before he casts a spell.

Game 3: Hand: 2x Thoughtseize, Tidehollow, Geist, and some other things. CiP tapped lands make me able to only Thoughtseize on my first 2 turns, but again that's plenty against him. Geist lands turn 3 and his hand continues to be ripped apart. The only spell he casts is Negate on my turn 4 Serum Visions.

Games: 2-1
    Matches: 1-0

Round 2: Maxinger with GU Infect
    Game 1: Keep a hand with 2 lands, remand, 2x Zur, Geist, D-Sphere. He gets 2 Inkmoth Nexus' and I don't hit a removal so lose.

SB: in: 2x Dismember
    1x Supreme Verdict
    1x Threads of Disloyalty
    4x Thoughtseize
    Out: 4 Remand
    1 Geist
    2 Zur
    1 Shielding Plax

Game 2: Keep a 3 land, 1 Deathrite Shaman, 1 Serum Visions, 1 Path to Exile, 1 Geist hand. Get a turn 2 Geist down, eventually the game comes down to me being 1 mana shy of both removing a card from his hand and pinging him with Shaman from 4, to win on the next turn. I play the hand hate and lose on his turn anyway due to another pump spell drawn.

Holy god how I hate Inkmoth Nexus.

Games: 2-3
    Matches: 1-1

Round 3: _Goblinlackey with Scapeshift
    Game1: Keep 4 land, Serum Visions, EE, Zur hand, draw only a Path to exile and 4 non-Tec Edge lands before he plays his entire land. He doesn't find Scapeshift for a while, though, so I land a Zur and he just tries to topdeck for a while, but the 5/8 Lifelinker gets there.

SB: in 4x Thoughtseize
    1x D-sphere
    1x Rest in Peace
    out 1 Shielding Plax
    1 Steel of the Godhead
    4 path to exile

Game 2: Keep a 2x thoughtseize +5 lander... dunno about that one. It gets worse when I draw a Tidehollow Sculler and then 5 more lands in a row, but he draws equally horribly and kept the 5 lander + Izzet Charm + Sakura Tribe-Elder. Eventually he starts to actually just ping stuff with Valakut and land drops, but I tec Edge him. It gets more awkward when he actually can just start swinging through with a Sakura for around 5 turns, but I land a Clique and eventually kill him off with Geist. He drops a Primeval Titan, but with my Tec Edge up and him at 4 staring down a Geist, it's not looking great for him. What a freaking weird draw for both of us.

Games: 4-3
    Matches: 2-1

Round 4: Enric with Rug Delver
    Game 1: keep 2x Zur, 1 Remand, 1 path, 3 land hand. I Path his turn 1 Delver when it flips revealing Spell Pierce. Then I Path a Goyf, and Tidehollow eats a card in order to get bolted. He lands a Clique and I land a Zur and we trade swings. I take the Clique hit as I'm at 11 and only don't know 2 cards in his hand. I suit up Zur with a Shielding Plax and have mana up for another Path. He isn't able to come back from Zur's life swings.

SB: IN: 2 Dismember
    1 Threads
    1 Stony Silence (lots of these play Shackles)
    Out: 2 Tidehollow Sculler
    2 Aven Mindcensor

Game 2: Keep 2 land, 1 Path, 1 Dismember 1 remand, 1 Geist, 1 steel of the godhead hand. Dismember his on the play delver, in case he has spell pierce. I drop a shaman which gets bolted, and he gets the turn 3 Bloodmoon on the play. I can't come back as I only have a plains and a bunch of Mountains.

SB again: in 1x D-sphere
    2 tidehollow sculler
    2 thoughtseize
    out: 4 remand

Game 3: Mulligan the 1 lander, keep a 4 land, 1 threads, 1 zur hand. Not the best but I can't go to 5 and hope to win with discard. Luckily he doesn't have the turn 1 delver again. Turn 2 goyf gets Threaded, and then Zur gets Deprived. He lands a delver and flips it, and gets a snapcaster in for Serum Visions. I get a geist down with Eiganjo Castle for a little back up, making his blocks a little harder. He is at 10 while I'm still at a healthy 17. He drops to 2 life and takes out my Geist. I tec edge his only red source, leaving him with some less-than-great Snapcaster options and a lightning bolt in hand. He runs out the snappys without finding a red source. I then drop the Creeping Tar Pit, leaving him little options other than to concede after not finding a red source yet again.

Games: 6-4
    Matches: 3-1

Thoughts:
    So overall I really like Zur against the non-white aggro decks and heavy control decks. Even though he can just eat a removal and be 1 for 1ed, I run so many annoying creatures that they are usually pretty light on removal. I think it comes down a lot to how early you try to get him down. If you haven't seen their hand yet it's not a good idea to just curve out with him at 4 mana.

He also gives you a reason to play Steel in the maindeck. I know that sounds silly, but Steel on Geist is one of the best creature + card combinations in modern, and the fact that you can easily get that out by turn 3-4 is kinda ridiculous for most decks to handle.

The worst card in the maindeck is easily Shielding Plax and I keep toying with the idea of just putting it in the sideboard or not playing it at all since I have lost games with it sitting in my hand. Also, 2 Zur hands against non-blue decks can be a bit like "Well... guess I mulliganed to 6" but at the same time, he's a decent blocker and if he eats a path you're probably okay with the 2nd in hand.

So overall changes I think I'm going to do this to the main:
    -1 Zur
    -1 Shielding Plax
    +1 Deathrite Shaman (I honestly don't like this card in this deck as much as in other decks, but everyone just kills him so quickly that I'd rather play him just to get the basic land or rid of their bolt)
    +1 Aven Mindcensor (all the unfair decks search their library for stuff. The fair decks generally have flying dudes I need to chump/kill)

Instead of those 2 slots I'm toying with the idea of baby Jace, Supreme Verdict, or more cliques/mindcensors.

I'll keep posting back here as testing progresses. Very fun deck though, and that's honestly the most important part for me.

Seems cool, nice finish.
    Geist + Steel is really sweet.
    How do think this would work in a shell with Tallowisp instead of Zur? (Obviously you would need to rework the whole deck and not just make a straight swap of those cards)

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    How do think this would work in a shell with Tallowisp instead of Zur? (Obviously you would need to rework the whole deck and not just make a straight swap of those cards)
    Tallowisp wouldn't be as good. There aren't many usable spirit/arcane spells, and trying to load up a deck with them seems kinda bad. Zur has the benefit of being out of bolt range and being a 1 time investment that lets you still cast other things and keep up your mana (or just bash with colonnade). There aren't a lot of game-changing enchantments that you can find, but having to pay for them and having them not pull off as much (I wouldn't play Steel of the Godhead on a mono-white creature unless I was desperate) just isn't as good.

I love the idea of putting a Godhead on a Geist.

Are there any other Modern legal enchantments worth putting into this deck?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Probably not in the Main. I wish we had Bitterblossom, but that's not happening. Under the sideboard I put a list of playable cards, 1/3 of them enchantments. Some of them could certainly see particular instances where they would be good in the main. Story Circle is rarely useless (but highly inefficient), Nevermore can always hit something,Luminarch Ascension is pretty decent but you'd have to hope for no fast decks. I've also played Security Blockade main because against decks with edict effects it's not bad. I think there should probably be more than just Steel and Detention Sphere as maindeck tutorables but you would probably be surprised how often those win on their own.

This might be a stupid question, but if the main goal is to get a Geist out with a Steel of the Godhead attached to it, why not play more Steels and cut the Zurs all together? If the 3x Zurs were 2 extra Steels + something else they would hit the table 2 turns earlier. That seems a lot more scary to me than durdeling around with a 1/4 4 mana pinger.

I understand the benefit from having a toolbox in the SB, but I also wonder if stuff like Rest in Peace and Blind Obedience does anything when they come into play turn 5 off of Zur. It seems to me that the matchups where those cards are relevant in would be over by then.

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but if the main goal is to get a Geist out with a Steel of the Godhead attached to it, why not play more Steels and cut the Zurs all together? If the 3x Zurs were 2 extra Steels + something else they would hit the table 2 turns earlier. That seems a lot more scary to me than durdeling around with a 1/4 4 mana pinger.

I understand the benefit from having a toolbox in the SB, but I also wonder if stuff like Rest in Peace and Blind Obedience does anything when they come into play turn 5 off of Zur. It seems to me that the matchups where those cards are relevant in would be over by then.
    Well, you can attach the godhead to Zur as well. Zur will almost never be a 1/4 dork doing the gangnam style. The point was that Zur, when unanswered, will be a 3/5 unblocklable lifelinker generating massive amounts of card advantage and pimping out your Geist in a format where the best cantrip is Serum Visions.

@Phoenix: why isn't there discard in the main? Remand seems sorta meh when you want to protect your Zur from removal.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post

Well, regardless of the 2 card amazing synergy of Steel + Geist, that really shouldn't be the main goal of the deck. The problem with that goal is that 1) it's a one-track "combo" that comes out turn 3 or 4 and often can't deal with unfair decks like Infect or Tron. Sure, you get a lot of damage through and gain some back, but yes, having a turn 4 or 5 guaranteed lock piece is good. Even if that lock peace is just a "1/4 hexproof flier who nets 1 enchantment in play per turn."

I mean, I don't want to be rude, but why just read comments and try to glean something out of them like "Hey, so you guys just said X was good, why don't we just take out Y + Z from the deck then???" like it's some massive brainwave.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    @Phoenix: why isn't there discard in the main? Remand seems sorta meh when you want to protect your Zur from removal.
    I didn't want discard in the main since a lot of what I'm doing here is 2 for 1s. I want to make it so hard to deal with all the creatures that by the time Zur comes down he doesn't have any opposition.

The way I see it, they need to deal with Deathrite Shaman, Tidehollow Sculler (or else they lose their best card anyway, so win-win), Vendilion Cliques, and a lot of decks need to handle Aven Mindcensor. With 13 creatures that they basically have to kill on sight, I'm banking on the fact that if you play Zur at the right time he'll both resolve and get through a swing. You get to see their hand from Tidehollow and Clique anyway.

I like Remand over them in the maindeck because it stalls the game until I can hit my 4th and 5th land drops. It's relevant against all decks, and in the vacuum of Modern cards is one of the most powerful by itself. Playing 5 flash creatures along with Remand instead of discard lets me keep mana up to decide which is the better play, and even cycling remand to just hit more cards isn't bad.

I have the discard in the sideboard because it is good against control and unfair decks, but I don't think it's necessary to play in the main. I also don't know what I would take out for it.

I love sentences that start with "I don't mean to be rude..". I don't think I wrote anything demeaning in my post, so don't understand the flaming.

I was merely trying to understand the deck and I'm still not sure I get it. But on the other hand, I see no reason to ask any further if the responses are like that.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Trying out 1x Luminarch Ascension maindeck instead of the 4th DRShaman.

Modern Daily 3-28:

Round 1: xMiMx with black/green/blue infect
    Game 1: 2 serum vision, 3 land, geist, zur hand. He thoughtseizes Geist and plays a Plague Stinger. I draw more lands, despite serum visions, and he thoughtseizes another Geist away. He hits me for 6 poison (ground swell + noble hierarch) before I'm able to trade Aven Mindcensor for the Plague stinger, and he drops a blighted agent and another Plague Stinger. I draw a Path finally and have enough to keep up that + Zur. He swings with a pumped Blighted Agent which gets pathed. He proceeds to say "Jesus, the chain sack" I respond with "What?" He replies "nothing just evry [sic] of your topdecks is a little gift from the lord". Then I of course beat him to death with a 5/8 lifelinker.

SB: IN: 4x Thoughtseize
    2x Dismember
    1x Threads of Disloyalty
    1x Supreme Verdict
    1x D-sphere
    OUT: 4x Remand
    1x Steel
    1x Luminarch Ascension
    3x Deathrite Shaman

Game 2: Keep a 4 land, Thoughtseize, Dismember, Tidehollow Sculler hand. He turn 1 Inquisitions my thoughtseize and i draw a land. I kill his plague stinger on my turn with dismember. He misses his land drop and plays another Stinger, so I drop a turn 3 Geist. He misses land drop but pumps his dood and hits me for 6. I Tidehollow seeing Blighted Agent, Groundswell, and Might of Old Krosa (along with a useless Pendelhaven #2) and take his blighted agent, Pathing his dude on his upkeep. He plays Glistener Elf he just drew but gets it EE'd, and earns a "cant stop admiring drawing 'skills'" remark. Internet rage is the funniest kind of rage.

Games 2-0
    Matches: 1-0

Round 2: ceobry01 with Scapeshift
    Game 1: Keep a 2 land remand, geist, path, aven mindcensor, steel of the godhead hand. Opponent mulls to 6 and plays basic, basic, farseek. I get a turn 3 geist after remanding his tribe elder, and try to put the Steel on it, but that gets Izzet Charmed. The Geist clock is enough along with some help from Aven Mindcensor.

SB: IN: 4 Thoughtseize
    OUT: EE, 2x Path, 1x Luminarch Ascension.

Game 2: Keep the 3 land, serum visions, tidehollow sculler, geist, path hand. Serum visions into another geist and he misses his land drop. He kept a 1 lander with Search for Tomorrow, which is probably too risky on the play. Tidehollow sees 2x Izzet Charm, Sakura Tribe Elder, Pyroclasm, Remand, farseek. I take the Pyroclasm so geist can get there for a turn at least, hopefully. He continues to ramp, my Thoughtseize hits one of his Izzet Charms and he uses the other one to eventually get pyroclasm and take out geist. I play the 2nd geist and that + Aven Mindcensor are enough to beat him. His last turn he gets down a Primeval Titan, but that eats the Path I opened the game with and I hit him for exactsies.

Games: 4-0
    Matches: 2-0

Round 3: Thalai with Naya Pod
    Game 1
    : Keep the 2 land, deathrite shaman, path, tidehollow, EE, serum visions hand. He keeps a Fire-lit Thicket + gavony township hand and doesnt hit lands. I path a Kitchen finks when he does. He scoops the next turn.

SB: IN: 4 Thoughtseize
    2 Dismember
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Threads
    OUT: 4 Remand
    1 Luminarch Ascension
    1 geist
    1 Tidehollow
    1 Vendilion Clique

Game 2: Keep the 3 land, path, stony silence, Tidehollow Culler, Geist hand. He gets down Noble + Kitchen finks turn 2, I get turn 2 tidehollow and take spellskite over 2 walls. I get a Deathrite Shaman down and he hits a Kiki Jiki draw off of his Domri Rade. I have to Thoughtseize it, and play a Geist. He swings for 4 or 5 per turn after he gets another Noble down. I stabilize with a Steel on the Geist, swinging 1 at his domri and 1 at him since he's at a 3 turn clock either way and I don't want him able to fight my guys with the -2 ability. Stony Silence reassures that he can't windmill a pod and beat me, and I draw an Aven Mindcensor to sweeten the deal (and prevent Chord of Calling, if he has that). Geist + Steel gets there.

Games: 6-0
    Matches: 3-0

Round 4: Sneakattackkid with Junk pod
    Game 1:
    Mulligan to a hand of 2 land, EE, serum visions tidehollow sculler, geist. He thoughtseizes geist, gets in wall of roots, Kitchen finks, Madcap and I'm stuck on 3 lands falling behind. Gavony Township really wins for him though.

SB: IN: 1 RiP
    2 Stony Silence
    2 Dismember
    4 Thoughtseize
    OUT: 4 Remand
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    1 EE
    1 Vendilion Clique

Game 2: keep 3 land, RiP Aven Mindcensor, Path, Steel hand. I draw and dismember his BoP, and play a RiP on his Deathrite Shaman. Aven Mindcensor joins the fun, and I thoughtseize his abrupt decay. Eventually I beat him to death with Geist +Steel, while he scrambles to find lands through Aven Mindcensor's cruel soft-lock on fetches.

SB: IN: 1 RiP
    OUT: 1 Zur

Game 3: Keep a 4 land, 1 path, 1 geist, 1 supreme verdict hand. He leads with BoP on the play, I hit another land. He drops finks and I draw a land. I path it on his upkeep. He drops gavony and another bird. Some stuff happens but eventually it comes down to him ripping a pod off the top and me not having any of my 8 cards to make it not retardedly good. I proceed to draw into my 7 lands and lose.

Games: 7-2
    Matches: 3-1

Thoughts:
    Well another 3-1ed daily. I managed to beat infect this time but I think Plague Stinger is sub-optimal and can't really count that matchup as being "fixed." I'm not too worried about my Pod matchup, even though I lost to 1 of them, it was in game 3 and he did rip his namesake off the top to win. The black version seems a bit harder with their hand hate to help out, but I'm still semi-confident in this deck's ability to handle it. It sucked for me that he had harmonic slivers I had to deal with in all 3 games (usually made him discard it), since I think they only play 1 but if they play multiples then it will be something I'll have to adjust to since it's obviously a great card against this deck.

Luminarch Ascension is a terrible Maindeck, and is going to be cut. I didn't miss Shielding Plax at all today so it might just stay cut. I'm going to have to think of what to put in the flex-slot that would be a good all-around card. Aven Mindcensor #4 is an option, but I'll have to consider adding back the 4th Zur (he's great against Pod, if you can get a little disruption at the start) or possibly a Lingering Souls even though I beat Infect and haven't run into affinity for a while.

Lingering Souls seems like a great choice. Gives you some reach, can chump block while you set up Zur, etc.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Lingering Souls seems like a great choice. Gives you some reach, can chump block while you set up Zur, etc.
    I was playing it originally and it got cut one by one. It's a decent card but against things like Pod it doesn't help very much (the whole problem is if they get a Birthing Pod online it doesn't make a difference that you have 1/1 tokens). Against things like Tron and Scapeshift they just Pyroclasm and you're pretty S.O.L. I like Mindcensor because it's a blocker against Inkmoth or similar creatures, and shuts down parts of the unfair decks.

I'll consider it, but I've been really happy with all my Mindcensors today and think it's probably the right choice in this kind of format.

Thread Information