Thread: [SCD] Curse of Stalked Prey

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

[SCD] Curse of Stalked Prey

Curse of Stalked Prey
    Enchantment - Aura Curse
    Enchant player
    Whenever a creature deals combat damage to enchanted player, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature.

Is this a potentially great pump effect for a 1-drop based Zoo? I know Tarmogoyf is the traditional 2-drop, but most folks don't pack enchantment hate vs. zoo. Considering the amount of quality 1-drops in modern for zoo (Wild Nacatl, Loam Lion, Kird Ape, Steppe Lynx, Tattermunge Maniac, Goblin Guide) could this be good?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Re: [SCD] Curse of Stalked Prey

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    ... could this be good?
    Seems pretty win-more to me.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I was actually thinking it would shine best in the zoo mirror. When your 1-mana Kird Ape is as big as their Tarmogoyf, you can drop more 1-mana dudes and out-muscle them.

Your removal gets really good when all your creatures become a Whirling Dervish, too.

I probably should have premised this better: what if you have zero Tarmogoyfs, would a high density of 1-drop beef along with this be worth playing?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

May 2006
    Caput Mundi

But you have to consider that also the opponent's removal gets much better, since it dispatches a threat AND blanks this card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    This article isn't free! ITS TAXING MY BRAIN CELLS!
    “My power is as vast as the plains, my strength is that of mountains. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins.” —Memoirs

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Nicely put, but I think if you are loading up on 1-mana dudes, you're only looking for early pressure and then finish with burn. I'm currently playing 12 burn spells maindeck AND 2-3 Grim Lavamancers. The ability to get a little more mileage out of early 1-drops is appealing to me, allowing me to save up my burn for removal or late game reach.

I have to say that you really have me thinking though...having a blank card in zoo is just bad, bad, bad. I think the only cards that can get away with being a non-threat are Path to Exile maindeck and targeted hate in the sideboard.
    Brainstorm Realist

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Quote Originally Posted by 3eowulf View Post
    But you have to consider that also the opponent's removal gets much better
    that's a borderline sunk cost fallacy, your creatures are equally prone to removal whether you have this card or not. You aren't going to put this in a deck where this could possibly be a dead card due to removal. 26+ creatures
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I was just thinking along the same lines...sure a dude may die, but when I'm playing 23-26 dudes chances are good I'll get more, lol.

I think it could work well...lots of White Weenie decks use Honor of the Pure, and Tempered Steel is pretty decent, too. I think with a 1-drop focus and this enchantment, it could work.

Potential List:

1-Drop Zoo

Creatures - 24
    4x Wild Nacatl
    4x Goblin Guide
    4x Steppe Lynx
    4x Kird Ape
    4x Loam Lion
    4x Grim Lavamancer

Spells - 16
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Lightning Helix
    2x Rift Bolt
    3x Curse of Stalked Prey
    4x Path to Exile

Lands - 19
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Arid Mesa
    1x Misty Rainforest
    1x Scalding Tarn
    3x Stomping Ground
    2x Sacred Foundry
    1x Forest
    1x Plains
    2x Mountain
    Brainstorm Realist

May 2006
    Caput Mundi

Quote Originally Posted by perm View Post
    that's a borderline sunk cost fallacy, your creatures are equally prone to removal whether you have this card or not. You aren't going to put this in a deck where this could possibly be a dead card due to removal. 26+ creatures
    I never said the card makes your creatures more prone to removal, I stated that it can invalidate two cards at once. And even in an hypotetical deck with a high creature count (26+) can still be dead due to removal and blockers.

Obviously I'm not saying to dismiss it just for that, but keep the argument in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    This article isn't free! ITS TAXING MY BRAIN CELLS!
    “My power is as vast as the plains, my strength is that of mountains. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins.” —Memoirs

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

If you really want to milk this card it seems like it would get more mileage from a deck that just spits out a billion tokens. Battle Screech, Spectral Procession, guys with evasion so the card doesn't just turn into a tempo sink when they block and kill your dude. Maybe some of the fair-to-undercosted doublestrikers like Boros Swiftblade and Mirran Crusader for double the +1/+1.

All things being equal though, it seems a Crusade effect that doesn't work for two turns. It's kind of the worst of both worlds; bad Crusade that needs to connect, and it's got the "Slith Firewalker" damage, again because a creature needs to hit for it to work and because the damage payoff isn't immediate. It's neat, but probably win-more at best.
    Last edited by TsumiBand; 09-12-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: derf remembered card name

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    All things being equal though, it seems a Crusade effect that doesn't work for two turns. It's kind of the worst of both worlds; bad Crusade that needs to connect, and it's got the "Slith Firewalker" damage, again because a creature needs to hit for it to work and because the damage payoff isn't immediate. It's neat, but probably win-more at best.
    Yeah. I wonder how it works as support piece for some kind of aggro/persist deck like [cards]Meliar, Sylvoc Outcast[/cars], with something like Sage of Fables,Novijen Sages or Mindless Automaton, but they all look pretty weak.

Does it trigger twice for double-strike critters?

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Does it trigger twice for double-strike critters?
    yes

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

The important question should be:
    Can this card help you win faster with the creatures already available to Zoo?

This eats up the critical turn in which you would be removing blockers or overrunning the board with 2 more 1-drops (Kird Apes/Nacatl/Lavamancer). I don't think that casting this on turn 2 would help you to win faster, all other aspects being equal.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    The important question should be:
    Can this card help you win faster with the creatures already available to Zoo?

This eats up the critical turn in which you would be removing blockers or overrunning the board with 2 more 1-drops (Kird Apes/Nacatl/Lavamancer). I don't think that casting this on turn 2 would help you to win faster, all other aspects being equal.
    This is the most useful comment so far. Appreciate that one...

Late game, you want bigger beef (Knights) and early game you want cheap beef. In the mid-game you want mana open for burn/removal so your early dudes can get through.

I remember considering Umezawa's Jitte for an extended zoo deck ages ago, and a good friend (user name jandax) said this (roughly):

"Jitte is not as powerful in zoo as it is in something like faeries. Two mana to play it and two more to equip. You could play up to 4 creatures in that amount of time, or some mix of creatures/removal/burn. For faeries it's a 4-mana mid-game all-star, because they need it."

I'm not saying Curse of Stalked Prey is comparable to jitte in power level, I'm just saying the mana cost for a delayed effect (that might not matter) is too much risk. Opportunity cost is just too high. I think for zoo, CoSP is out.

Now...someone mentioned Slith Firewalker. Would this work in a haste-enabled RDW setup? Goblin Guide, Slith Firewalker? I guess I want this card to be good, but it's starting to look like casual material the more I think/discuss it.
    Brainstorm Realist

So...

I have to hit them three times with two guys for this to do more damage than an Incinerate?

So...

If they got hit three times with two guys and then didn't die when I'm playing Zoo....

DID IT.

(Even with two two power guys, the relative damage is 15 vs. 16 comparing this to literal Incinerate. They should be dead regardless and this card does about 0 otherwise).
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Until I can play storm perfectly, I have not played it enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kibler
    Funny enough I was 18 once too. It was sweet, but being me now is way sweeter.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Seems pretty win-more to me.
    Seems pretty lose-more to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    Seems pretty lose-more to me.
    Is there a difference?

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Is there a difference?
    Vacuity says no.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

So...

I have to hit them three times with two guys for this to do more damage than an Incinerate?

So...

If they got hit three times with two guys and then didn't die when I'm playing Zoo....

DID IT.

(Even with two two power guys, the relative damage is 15 vs. 16 comparing this to literal Incinerate. They should be dead regardless and this card does about 0 otherwise).

Well stated...if nothing else comes out of this thread, maybe a few other folks will realize that Curse of Stalked Prey is a casual card and does *not* belong in competitive decks.

Totally worth the 20 or so minutes I've spent (total) on this discussion, for sure.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information