Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Past in Flames

[SCD] Past in Flames

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?p=7297415

Past in Flames 3r
    ??? (M)
    Each instant or sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost.
    Flashback 4r
    Illus. Anthony Jones
    155/264

The obvious application for this is in a tweaked version of Storm combo (with more rituals over LED and possibly Lotus Petal). Consider something like this:

Turn 1: USea, Ponder

Turn 2: Badlands, tap both lands for BR, Dark Ritual (BBBR), Infernal Tutor revealing Rite of Flame (BR), Rite of Flame #1 (BRR), Rite of Flame #2 (BRRRR), Manamorphose (BBRRR), Past in Flames (R), flashback Rite of Flame (RR), flashback Rite of Flame #2 (RRR), flashback Manamorphose (BUR), flashback Dark Ritual (BBBUR), flashback Ponder (BBBR), Tendrils of Agony (storm count 12)

While Past in Flames retains IGG's vulnerability to GY hate, it gives you a lot more flexibility with regard to how you kill the opponent and it doesn't have the same vulnerability against previously used countermagic. It lets you use your life total as more of a resource in the early turns of the game without having to worry about not having enough fuel for Ad Nauseam. It's also very nice against heavy discard: as long as you can assemble 5 mana (via LED/topdecked rituals etc.), you can flashback this and go off from your graveyard. Its mana cost isn't prohibitively expensive when compared to previous engine cards used in storm

I'm not best qualified to judge whether this is what storm decks are looking for, but it definitely merits discussion at least.

Feel It
    Oct 2010
    Mtgthesource.com, where else? :)

Re: [SCD] Past in Flames

Seems that you have to choose whether instant OR sorcery cars get flashback, not both.

Looks like it could be strong in TES anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

Oh ya, there was that SCG article with a deck called Laxstorm. If you ask me, it reminds me more of a laxative brand and not the player (no offence to Ari Lax).

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Ice View Post
    Seems that you have to choose whether instant OR sorcery cars get flashback, not both.

Looks like it could be strong in TES anyhow.
    I'll wait for the official text, but it would have to be phrased differently for the or to be exclusive.

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

I hope this ends up being a sorcery; I'd love to have another good wish target.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Jesus. That's almost a red YawgWill. Is not being able to get LED or petal back enough of a drawback to keep it honest?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Quote Originally Posted by NyxathidHorror View Post
    I hope this ends up being a sorcery; I'd love to have another good wish target.
    Having it be an instant would be kind of odd if it grants flashback to instants and sorceries, since you can't flashback sorceries on an opponent's turn. However, if you really do have to make a choice between instants and sorceries for the effect, I could see this card as an instant since you would want to flashback instants if you're casting it on your opponent's turn anyway.

But I think Recoup and Yawg's Will point to this likely being a sorcery.

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    But I think Recoup and Yawg's Will point to this likely being a sorcery.
    Agreed. Interesting card, none the less.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

This would be a very interesting card for All-In decks utilizing an abundant amount of rituals. I wonder if this spell could also be used in Burning Wish/Storm decks, particularly Storm, and /X Belcher.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jul 2004
    Corning, NY

My brain just seized up for a moment when I read this card. Holy hell, in a storm based deck, or high tide with a red splash, this is Yawgmoth's Will. made me discard some Dark Rituals, well now I get to use them anyways. Make me discard or counter my tutors/win cons, hey I get to recast them. Seriously this gives combo some serious resiliency to control. Not saying this will warp the format to a combo winter, but it is certainly a boost for combo. With access to things like Manamorphose and Gitaxian Probe, you might not need things like Ad Nauseam. Also might be super solid in something like Pyromancers Ascension. Expect to see this card at least tested, and possibly in the top tables in the hands of a good combo player.

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by VeniVidiVici View Post
    Past in Flames 3r
    ??? (M)
    Each instant or sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost.
    Flashback 4r
    Illus. Anthony Jones
    155/264
    If it said "instant or sorcery cards", then I think you would have to choose one or the other. The current wording makes it sound like both. If so, then I'm definitely interested in this card. That makes at least one worthwhile card in this set...

XD

I guess I could be wrong; wouldn't be the first, or the last time wizards screwed up their wording...lol

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

@NyxathidHorror: I think you're wrong. It says instants OR sorcery cards. "Each" just means that each of the choice you make will be affected.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    @NyxathidHorror: I think you're wrong. It says instants OR sorcery cards. "Each" just means that each of the choice you make will be affected.
    I guess we'll see when the oracle is released. If that's the case, then the power of this card will be neutered tremendously...

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

As spoiled 'Each Instant or Sorcery card', it works on both Instant and Sorcery cards, and it must be a Sorcery.

This and Snapcaster Mage, I could only hope Pyromancer Ascension won't be banned in Modern.

The spoiler now shows it as an instant... this card definitely looks potent enough to see Legacy play. And represents yet another chase mythic.

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc View Post
    As spoiled 'Each Instant or Sorcery card', it works on both Instant and Sorcery cards, and it must be a Sorcery.
    That's what I was thinking.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Would be hilarious to put it with Monolith/Orb...mill your entire library and go off if you have 2 red sources?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Actually, I believe I have to take back what I just said. If you were actually required to make a choice, the card would tell you to make one. If it was worded "instant and sorcery card", it would only grant Flashback to cards that are both instant and sorcery.

So yeah, I guess it affects both.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The spoiler now shows it as an instant... this card definitely looks potent enough to see Legacy play. And represents yet another chase mythic.
    This one is fairly niche, though, so the price shouldn't be too bad. It's not like a Titan that will end up as the backbone of a Standard deck; it will see play mostly in Eternal formats, and only in some decks, so I would expect it to settle in the $10-$20 dollar range (with the high end representing Modern season assuming blue/red/X combo decks aren't nerfed).

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Darn... I'm not quite as excited now, but it's still a DECENT card I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    ... it will see play mostly in Eternal formats, and only in some decks, so I would expect it to settle in the $10-$20 dollar range...
    I doubt it will see that much play in Vintage either, to be honest, when Yawgmoth's Will is also available. I'm also not sure that it's going to be all that great in modern without Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual or High Tide to offset that big casting cost.

Thread Information