Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Past in Flames

Bryant Cook

Re: [SCD] Past in Flames

Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix View Post
    You don't need Tendrils at all, Grapeshot is enough.
    I have quickly assemble an U/R-build with Intuition, Wish and Strategic Planning and despite me being a combo-scrub and forgetting all kinds of good cards (like Gitaxian Probe) it already goldfishes quite nicely, albeit a bit slow at the moment.
    Intuition works for all kinds of insane combinations, mostly Rite, Rite, Past in Flames, untap, win.
    The problem with these decks is they're too graveyard dependent and actually just lose to an active Knight of the Reliquary or Tormod's Crypt.

Jul 2004
    Corning, NY

The graveyard dependency issue is something I took into account when I built my list. It is in the deck for consistency and resiliency, it is not meant to be counted on to go off. No cute interaction with milling myself etc, just kill them. This card is better than Ill-Gotten Gains in this respect. You are also NOT putting counters BACK into your opponents hand when you cast this and nor are you relying on having a specific set of cards in your graveyard. You also don't have to worry about life loss from Ad Nauseum. Simply put, built with cantrip effects, this card will draw out a win, or recycle one discarded/countered by an opponent. This adds a serious element of resiliency and consistency. If it turns out to be a Sorcery, which that has flipped back and forth a bit, then Burning Wish can be used to make sure its good, and that you do not have to rely on Lion's Eye Diamond. This is an extremely powerful effect and I will not be surprised to see it at top tables.

SteelinSumOfUrTechKThxBai
    Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    The problem with these decks is they're too graveyard dependent and actually just lose to an active Knight of the Reliquary or Tormod's Crypt.
    Yep, no way to deny that, it's a one-trick-pony.
    "Blue-Eyes White Dragon is a fatty that Jamie Wakefield seems to have overlooked. It has a tremendous power and toughness of 3000/2500, making it bigger than current threats such as Tarmogoyf or Mountain."

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by edgarps22 View Post
    The graveyard dependency issue is something I took into account when I built my list. It is in the deck for consistency and resiliency, it is not meant to be counted on to go off. No cute interaction with milling myself etc, just kill them. This card is better than Ill-Gotten Gains in this respect. You are also NOT putting counters BACK into your opponents hand when you cast this and nor are you relying on having a specific set of cards in your graveyard. You also don't have to worry about life loss from Ad Nauseum. Simply put, built with cantrip effects, this card will draw out a win, or recycle one discarded/countered by an opponent. This adds a serious element of resiliency and consistency. If it turns out to be a Sorcery, which that has flipped back and forth a bit, then Burning Wish can be used to make sure its good, and that you do not have to rely on Lion's Eye Diamond. This is an extremely powerful effect and I will not be surprised to see it at top tables.
    I would be shocked. I don't believe the card is strong enough to force its own archetype due to the amount of graveyard hate in Legacy.

I'm not arguing that this card is worse than Ill-Gotten Gains, I don't believe that it is. One thing that Ill-Gotten Gains has going for it is a sure win when you cast it. None of this cantrip and hope to win that you mentioned. However, it's not better than Ad Nauseam, the two can work beautifully together providing two different strategies than fit into the same deck. Past is just too weak on it's own.

As for "Not relying on Lion's Eye Diamond", LED has the most raw power that this format has to offer. Not playing due to the linear strategy of, "I can't flash it back" is silly. I can't how many times I've top decked Lion's Eye Diamond, then said "Sorry" and won. Which is why you would want to merge the two strategies.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    As for "Not relying on Lion's Eye Diamond", LED has the most raw power that this format has to offer. Not playing due to the linear strategy of, "I can't flash it back" is silly. I can't how many times I've top decked Lion's Eye Diamond, then said "Sorry" and won. Which is why you would want to merge the two strategies.
    This bears repeating. LED is still the god-est of godsends.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    This bears repeating. LED is still the god-est of godsends.
    Agreed. If you're playing without LED, then you're clearly doing it wrong...

Doesn't Past in Flames make Gamble a lot better?

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by nwong View Post
    Doesn't Past in Flames make Gamble a lot better?
    Theoretically; if you're discarding the ritual you just tutored, so you can go off, then you're not really helping yourself here.

Quote Originally Posted by NyxathidHorror View Post
    Theoretically; if you're discarding the ritual you just tutored, so you can go off, then you're not really helping yourself here.
    Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Seething Song, Past in Flames, flash all your rituals, Gamble (tutoring for Grapeshot, discard), flash Gamble (tutoring for Grapeshot, discard), flash Grapeshot, flash 2nd Grapeshot.

Burning Inquiry fits this very well too.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Unfortunately I don't think past in flames affects cards that go into the bin after it resolves. So you have to flash back past in flame at the end of that sequence which IMO is very difficult. I'm not sure if pass in flame is worth splashing for in ubr ant. Could replace iggy as the alternate md engine.

Magic; Serious Business
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by nwong View Post
    Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Seething Song, Past in Flames, flash all your rituals, Gamble (tutoring for Grapeshot, discard), flash Gamble (tutoring for Grapeshot, discard), flash Grapeshot, flash 2nd Grapeshot.

Burning Inquiry fits this very well too.
    Most likely not going to happen as often as you think. SOUNDS fun, but I'd much rather CONSISTENTLY win with LED and tutors. You simply die next turn if your opponent has ANY type of hate for past.

Seething song? No... Just no...

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Unfortunately I don't think past in flames affects cards that go into the bin after it resolves. So you have to flash back past in flame at the end of that sequence which IMO is very difficult. I'm not sure if pass in flame is worth splashing for in ubr ant. Could replace iggy as the alternate md engine.
    This card is going to truly shine in TES/TNT, where you can wish for it, and win. In most situations I would much rather be recurring 2 LED's and an infernal anyway.

How would this interact with Ancestral Visions in the 'yard?

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Grollub View Post
    How would this interact with Ancestral Visions in the 'yard?
    You can't cast it. Same as Recoup and Snapcaster Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei
    Unfortunately I don't think past in flames affects cards that go into the bin after it resolves. .... Could replace iggy as the alternate md engine.
    Something like:
    Swamp, LED, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Seething Song, Etomb, Gamble
    -> Lethal tendrils.

However, it looks like there isn't really enough high quality instant/sorcery based acceleration available to justify it. As far as I can tell the list of viable options is basically: Dark Ritual, Seething Song, Cabal Ritual, Rite of Flame, and to break even - mana wise - on Past you'd have to have 2-3 of those in the GY.
    I really think that the high tide approach may work better.

A totally different approach with Past in Flames might be to use it in some kind of dredge deck or along with Devastating Dreams. Though those sorts of decks have had Recoup avaiable for quite a while, but have not used it.
    Last edited by rufus; 09-14-2011 at 12:40 PM.

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

This card is pretty powerful. I bet it makes a new storm style deck playable. Card draw and graveyard fill seems important. I would, if I had the time, try to create a red black SI version, but that is just me. Rituals, draw, rituals, flashback crazyness, win.

Quote Originally Posted by VeniVidiVici View Post
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?p=7297415

Past in Flames 3r
    ??? (M)
    Each instant or sorcery card in your graveyard gains flashback until end of turn. The flashback cost is equal to its mana cost.
    Flashback 4r
    Illus. Anthony Jones
    155/264

The obvious application for this is in a tweaked version of Storm combo (with more rituals over LED and possibly Lotus Petal). Consider something like this:

Turn 1: USea, Ponder

Turn 2: Badlands, tap both lands for BR, Dark Ritual (BBBR), Infernal Tutor revealing Rite of Flame (BR), Rite of Flame #1 (BRR), Rite of Flame #2 (BRRRR), Manamorphose (BBRRR), Past in Flames (R), flashback Rite of Flame (RR), flashback Rite of Flame #2 (RRR), flashback Manamorphose (BUR), flashback Dark Ritual (BBBUR), flashback Ponder (BBBR), Tendrils of Agony (storm count 12)
    I think you mis-counted. The first flashbacked Rite of Flame should generate RRR, as there is one in the graveyard still.

This means if you were hellbent after Past in Flames, you could Infernal-Tendrils.
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

The word "or" irritates me. Do we have to choose between instant OR sorcery or not? Second, does it affect cards that are put into your graveyard AFTER PiF resolved or is there a timestamp?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Not playing LED is doing it wrong. I don't care what storm deck you're playing that kills with primarily tendrils, LED is broken. It also interacts quite nicely with past in flames either by paying the flashback cost of 4R via topdecking it when it's in the yard or there's always the burning wish sacking LED in response, always a very strong play.

This card seems hilariously funny in SI. They have so many instant's and sorceries in that deck and flashbacking all of them seems awesome. It would definitely be a new build though.

Brain freeze's interaction with this card is absolutely incredible. You brain freeze yourself for something like 5 copies, mill this card, flash it back, then go absolutely nuts over your opponent and brain freeze them for a lot or yourself to do it again and ramp up storm or find what you need since brain freeze is a really sick tutor in this regard.

Overall, the closest thing we're ever getting to yawg's will. It'll be interesting to see how big a splash this makes in legacy.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    The word "or" irritates me. Do we have to choose between instant OR sorcery or not? Second, does it affect cards that are put into your graveyard AFTER PiF resolved or is there a timestamp?
    I think it's phrased that way so that the latter is not true. If it was "Instants and Sorceries in your graveyard gain flashback" that would affect all present and future cards in the 'yard. Instead it's "Each Instant or Sorcery" so that it gives flashback to each of them but none in the future.

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

This card seems to be too powerful in modern. I now fully expect some sort of banning for the storm decks there, probably rite of flame, perhapse grapeshot and empty the warrens instead. They were already pretty good but this would push them way over the top. Just my 2c

Thread Information