Thread: Sylvan Library + Chains of Mephistopheles

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Sylvan Library + Chains of Mephistopheles

I just want to make sure this interaction works.

If my opponent has an active Sylvan Library under my Chains of Mephistopheles and decides to draw extra cards (and put them back or not), if they have sufficient cards in hand, do they:

Draw a card for their turn normally, then discard 1, draw 1, discard another, draw another, then pay 4 life for each extra card they don't put back? I just want to make sure.

-Matt

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Sylvan Library + Chains of Mephistopheles

Close. If they choose to let library through (it is a may ability, after all), they draw normally for their turn, then chains replaces the first and second library-triggered draw with a discard then draw. Then they must choose 2 cards in their hand drawn this turn, and put them back or pay the life.

Note: They can discard the cards they drew this turn. If your opponent only has one card left in hand that had been drawn this turn after chains has had its say, then they must put that one back or pay 4 life. So basically you have to ensure which cards have been drawn that turn and which haven't and act accordingly.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Ok, fair enough.

Basically, you wouldn't want to use Sylvan with Chains out. Excellent! :)

-Matt

Oct 2013
    Finland

Insanely funny things will happen if your opponent has only three life (or less) left and he chooses to activate Sylvan Library under the Chains of Mephistopheles since he/she is unable to pay the required cost of drawing extra cards.
    Threshold

Thread Information