Thread: [Article] Eternal Europe: Hybrids - The Future, Today?

[Article] Eternal Europe: Hybrids - The Future, Today?

This time I talk about the recent trend of hybridization: my suspicions as to its origins, how it will develop judging by past experience and what that means for the future metagame. Interested? Check it out:

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...ure_Today.html
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Re: [Article] Eternal Europe: Hybrids - The Future, Today?

Great read, as always. The parallels to 2003 vintage were nice to shed light on something I wasn't familiar with (as I had just started playing magic at that time). In b4 "zomg Carsten you're supposed to talk about legacy not vintage n00b."
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Interesting read, but talking about Hybrids without mentioning who's the beatdown seems criminal =P
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

I has big critta!
    Jun 2010
    Frankfurt, Germany

Very interesting. I liked the part were you pointed out that Control adapts a combo-kill to beat fast aggro. I remember my first Vintage deck being R/G Beatz (pretty much like Zoo) and it performed quite okay, just because It was straight forward beatdown with 8 Blasts in the board. :)

A question to everyone: Do you guys think fast Combo can actually achieve the rank it used to have in Vintage? I doubt it can be as powerful as Meandeck Tendrils or similar lists just because it lacks some key spells and/or strategies - Yawgh's Win and his Bargain, Necropotence, Desire
    The other major point is propably FoW. Combo does not play Force due to LED. It's obviosly not good, but I think having a real hardcounter for virtually zero is what makes a turn 1-3 kill as deadly as it can be. That's - if you ask me - the major point why Legacy Storm is not dominating right now. Storm might not be the only fast Combodeck out there, but I think it's one people are fascinated by and therefor try to improve lists all the time, which might be one of the keys to it's survival.
    Then again winning in the first three turns is so powerful that it doesn't need any backup strategy since you usually play an "all in"-type of game.

Time will tell, but I'll follow your articles just because I like how you sneak in personal experiences and stories of old times. (They - too - are informative and nice to think about ofc!) ;)

keep up the great work

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I agree that Hybridization makes Eternal both fun in the deck construction, as well as the surprise factor in tournaments. One of my favorite examples of this was Two Card Monte from Vintage, fueled by Workshop. Ultimately, the strategy requires a high level of digging and searching to become effective however. My own take on Hybrid was Helm/Line/Doomsday for Classic.

Great article, and thanks for bringing up the Hybrid topic as it's an important one to keep in mind when the Format changes.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by GexxX View Post
    Very interesting. I liked the part were you pointed out that Control adapts a combo-kill to beat fast aggro. I remember my first Vintage deck being R/G Beatz (pretty much like Zoo) and it performed quite okay, just because It was straight forward beatdown with 8 Blasts in the board. :)

A question to everyone: Do you guys think fast Combo can actually achieve the rank it used to have in Vintage? I doubt it can be as powerful as Meandeck Tendrils or similar lists just because it lacks some key spells and/or strategies - Yawgh's Win and his Bargain, Necropotence, Desire
    The other major point is propably FoW. Combo does not play Force due to LED. It's obviosly not good, but I think having a real hardcounter for virtually zero is what makes a turn 1-3 kill as deadly as it can be. That's - if you ask me - the major point why Legacy Storm is not dominating right now. Storm might not be the only fast Combodeck out there, but I think it's one people are fascinated by and therefor try to improve lists all the time, which might be one of the keys to it's survival.
    Then again winning in the first three turns is so powerful that it doesn't need any backup strategy since you usually play an "all in"-type of game.

Time will tell, but I'll follow your articles just because I like how you sneak in personal experiences and stories of old times. (They - too - are informative and nice to think about ofc!) ;)

keep up the great work
    In response to your question, an additional difference may be the speed of Legacy. While the average fundamental turn in Vintage approximates that of Legacy's, Vintage is actually a slower format than Legacy relative to what you're asking. The storm combo decks have the capacity to kill on turn one but, as you mention, many play cards like Force of Will in addition to Dark Confidant, Vault/Key and even Jace the Mind Sculptor maindeck. Vintage decks usually does not have decks that present a fast clock outside of some nutty MUD draws (I mean fast by what we think of as "Fast" decks in Legacy). For example in Legacy, Goblins, Zoo, Burn and Affinity can Goldfish kill on turn three. Legacy combo also has to worry about Stoneforge Mystic and Batterskull putting the game out of reach quickly. Vintage combo and control decks do not have to take those kinds of pressure into consideration when being designed.

Combo does not play Force of Will because its card disadvantage, especially when it would have to pitch cantrips which are extremely valuable in the deck. Furthermore, the only Storm deck that runs more than twelve Blue cards right now is some variants of UB Tendrils which run Probe. Not to mention Legacy storm decks rely on resolving Ad Nauseam more frequently than their Vintage counterparts. Having at least six cards at four mana or more is terrible (Ill-Gotten Gains, Tendrils and four Force of Will at a minimum). If combo wanted a hard counter, it could already play Pact of Negation maindeck if it wanted to. There are a lot of people who "improve" their Storm decks, but at least in America, Storm decks represent a very small fraction of the metagame. After reading over the last couple of articles by the Hatefields, Storm (TES, and ANT variants) represented less than 5% of the field in their best showing at a given event. Hivemind has represented a larger portion of the combo in the field at every event.

In response to your last point, taking away from the deck is always going to be a bad idea. Combo decks attempt to be as linear in nature as possible so detracting from that takes away our speed which you identify as being one of the best reasons to play these types of decks.

Thread Information