Thread: [Deck] Goblins

Hybrid View

[Deck] Goblins

Ya I know Goblins...They have been neutered from Legacy to Modern but I love the little guys. Here is my attempt at a viable Modern Goblins deck list.

Land (21)
    4x Auntie's Hovel
    4x Blood Crypt
    2x Dragonskull Summit
    11x Mountain

Others (8)
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Aether Vial

Creature (31)
    3x Goblin Arsonist
    4x Goblin Chieftain
    4x Goblin Guide
    4x Goblin King
    3x Mad Auntie
    4x Mogg War Marshal
    2x Spikeshot Elder
    3x Stingscourger
    2x Warren Instigator
    2x Wort, Boggart Auntie

Because of the loss of Ring Leader and no real good red sources of card advantage I tried to make Goblins more defensive with the combo of MWM, lords, and Auntie/Wort. Green might be a better splash for Lead The Stampede. Anyway this was my attempt, please help

Thanks

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: Goblins

You're going red/black goblins and there's no Warren Weirding?

Warren Weirding is a good card no doubt. I run three of them in my Legacy deck http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/legacy-goblins-21/ I really wanted to make room for some burn though. Maybe I should take out the Stingscourgers and put Warren Weirding in?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-rb-goblins-2/

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-rg-goblins/

Have two different versions posted here. Comments welcome.

Thanks

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

I was thinking about putting something together. I think I was looking in a different direction from you, going a little more aggressive.

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Warren Instigator
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Goblin Wardriver
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    3 Mad Auntie
    3 Sensation Gorger
    2 Wort, Boggart Auntie

4 Aether Vial
    3 Warren Weirding
    3 Tarfire

4 Mountain
    4 Blood Crypt
    1 Stomping Ground
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Arid Mesa
    4 Dragonskull Summit

Sideboard

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Earwig Squad
    3 Goblin Ruinblaster
    3 Tin-Street Hooligan
    2 Goblin King

The main deck uses Sensation Gorger the way you wanted to use Lead the Stampede (but it's a goblin and red, which I think is a plus). I'm not sure about Wardriver, it's basically a bad lord, but it helps the curve of 15/13/10/2. If I were to go to more lords, I'd be at 15/10/13/2 which is less ideal. I think testing will tell if the deck has enough 2 drops. With Gorger, you definitely want to keep CMC's low, but with Instigator, you want big flashy goblins, so 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

I think Thoughtseize and Earwig Squad in board are an absolute must. Extirpate and/or Surgical Extraction wouldn't be bad either, but I want to see how Tin-Street does. Maybe I won't need it. It's nice to have answers, but sometimes you have to accept that some things just can't be dealt with. Ruinblaster out of the board is also imperative, I think, for dealing with Punishing Fires decks.

I'm not sure about Auntie's Hovel vs. Dragonskull Summit. On one hand, Hovel is never dead when it's relevant (if you don't have Goblins in hand, you don't need the mana so it doesn't matter that it's cipt). On the other hand, giving away free information is never good, and Dragonskull Summit is *rarely* going to cipt, as the only non-mountain, non-fetch lands in the deck are the 4xDskull's. Which is better in the long run, giving away less information or occasionally having a multiple Summit hand you have to mull?
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Aug 2007
    Netherlands

No Goblin Grenade? That card is pretty nutsy, 5 damage is a lot.

End of turn Lightning Bolt you for 3.
    Attack for some damage.
    Goblina Grenade for 6 (with Arsonist).

I think it speeds up the whole deck by a turn! (well vs a goldfish anyway).
    And with the Aunt, you can even recur the sacced creature if you fancy doing so.

Thread Information