Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Goblins

[Deck] Goblins

Ya I know Goblins...They have been neutered from Legacy to Modern but I love the little guys. Here is my attempt at a viable Modern Goblins deck list.

Land (21)
    4x Auntie's Hovel
    4x Blood Crypt
    2x Dragonskull Summit
    11x Mountain

Others (8)
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Aether Vial

Creature (31)
    3x Goblin Arsonist
    4x Goblin Chieftain
    4x Goblin Guide
    4x Goblin King
    3x Mad Auntie
    4x Mogg War Marshal
    2x Spikeshot Elder
    3x Stingscourger
    2x Warren Instigator
    2x Wort, Boggart Auntie

Because of the loss of Ring Leader and no real good red sources of card advantage I tried to make Goblins more defensive with the combo of MWM, lords, and Auntie/Wort. Green might be a better splash for Lead The Stampede. Anyway this was my attempt, please help

Thanks

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: Goblins

You're going red/black goblins and there's no Warren Weirding?

Warren Weirding is a good card no doubt. I run three of them in my Legacy deck http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/legacy-goblins-21/ I really wanted to make room for some burn though. Maybe I should take out the Stingscourgers and put Warren Weirding in?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-rb-goblins-2/

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-rg-goblins/

Have two different versions posted here. Comments welcome.

Thanks

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

I was thinking about putting something together. I think I was looking in a different direction from you, going a little more aggressive.

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Warren Instigator
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Goblin Wardriver
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    3 Mad Auntie
    3 Sensation Gorger
    2 Wort, Boggart Auntie

4 Aether Vial
    3 Warren Weirding
    3 Tarfire

4 Mountain
    4 Blood Crypt
    1 Stomping Ground
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Arid Mesa
    4 Dragonskull Summit

Sideboard

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Earwig Squad
    3 Goblin Ruinblaster
    3 Tin-Street Hooligan
    2 Goblin King

The main deck uses Sensation Gorger the way you wanted to use Lead the Stampede (but it's a goblin and red, which I think is a plus). I'm not sure about Wardriver, it's basically a bad lord, but it helps the curve of 15/13/10/2. If I were to go to more lords, I'd be at 15/10/13/2 which is less ideal. I think testing will tell if the deck has enough 2 drops. With Gorger, you definitely want to keep CMC's low, but with Instigator, you want big flashy goblins, so 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

I think Thoughtseize and Earwig Squad in board are an absolute must. Extirpate and/or Surgical Extraction wouldn't be bad either, but I want to see how Tin-Street does. Maybe I won't need it. It's nice to have answers, but sometimes you have to accept that some things just can't be dealt with. Ruinblaster out of the board is also imperative, I think, for dealing with Punishing Fires decks.

I'm not sure about Auntie's Hovel vs. Dragonskull Summit. On one hand, Hovel is never dead when it's relevant (if you don't have Goblins in hand, you don't need the mana so it doesn't matter that it's cipt). On the other hand, giving away free information is never good, and Dragonskull Summit is *rarely* going to cipt, as the only non-mountain, non-fetch lands in the deck are the 4xDskull's. Which is better in the long run, giving away less information or occasionally having a multiple Summit hand you have to mull?
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Aug 2007
    Netherlands

No Goblin Grenade? That card is pretty nutsy, 5 damage is a lot.

End of turn Lightning Bolt you for 3.
    Attack for some damage.
    Goblina Grenade for 6 (with Arsonist).

I think it speeds up the whole deck by a turn! (well vs a goldfish anyway).
    And with the Aunt, you can even recur the sacced creature if you fancy doing so.

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Just me View Post
    No Goblin Grenade? That card is pretty nutsy, 5 damage is a lot.

End of turn Lightning Bolt you for 3.
    Attack for some damage.
    Goblina Grenade for 6 (with Arsonist).

I think it speeds up the whole deck by a turn! (well vs a goldfish anyway).
    And with the Aunt, you can even recur the sacced creature if you fancy doing so.
    Hadn't paid attention to the fact it was reprinted in M12. I think that's a direct replacement for Tarfire. Can't recur it with Wort, but that should be irrelevant with 5 damage vs. 2. Good anti-goyf card.

Still haven't had a chance to test (was working last night, have plans tonight and will probably be too busy this weekend) but I did a little more thinking about the deck and what it wants to do and I've changed the listing.

The advantage of Goblins over a non-tribal aggro deck like Zoo in Legacy is that Goblins is extremely resilient to board resets and removal, has excellent disruptive capabilities and has the ability to severely screw with combat math through the haste of Warchief and the pseudo-haste of Vial, especially when combined with Piledriver. It is, however, slower out of the gate than other aggro decks, especially on a vial draw (Vial doesn't actually accelerate until turn 3 or 4). It also can't match the size of other aggro decks (everything in the deck dies to Nacatl) and lacks the ability to run hate bears.

In Modern, you're missing Port and Wasteland, meaning you can't afford to run as high of a land count. In turn, this makes top end drops like Kiki or SGC far riskier, especially since you can't find a miser's Siege-Gang with Matron or Ringleader (they're not in the format). Since you're not running the explosive 5-drops and you can't run Ringleader, the Lackey effect of Instigator loses some oomph. Piledriver is unavailable, taking away Goblin's biggest threat.

Sensation Gorger is your best way to refill your hand to drop cards off Instigator, but since Instigator is a turn slower than Lackey, it's important to have enough removal to get Instigator through. Sharpshooter is unavailable, but Warren Weirding is always good and with enough lord effects, Instigator can be a threat all on it's own. I considered running Hearth Hobgoblin to get more mileage out of lords, but it would've given me a glut at the 3-drop spot. I think that's the biggest problem with constructing this deck in Modern; everything you want to run costs 3 mana. I ended up moving Thoughtseize to the main, as well as a pair of Ruinblasters. If Ruinblaster was 3 to blow up a land instead of 4, it'd be much better. As it is, I'm not sure if it'll stay in the main; it's a little too slow to be useful against combo. Wizards avoidance of decent land destruction since Masques is frustrating and will probably grow more frustrating as they print stronger and more relevant lands.

I also cut Goblin Guide, after some reflection. Guide is fantastic, which is why I had it in there originally. It's good enough that non-goblin decks run it. But Goblins in Modern is not going to be able to goldfish optimally. If you want the fastest aggro goldfish in the format, you should be playing Steppe Lynx, not Aether Vial. So I replaced Guide with Knucklebone Witch, a card which fits into the plan of 'aggressive, but with disruption and late game potential' a little better than the hyper-aggressive Guide, which is strictly for early game decks.

New list is:

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Aether Vial
    3 Goblin Grenade
    3 Warren Weirding

3 Knucklebone Witch
    4 Warren Instigator
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    3 Mad Auntie
    3 Sensation Gorger
    2 Goblin Ruinblaster
    3 Wort, Boggart Auntie

4 Auntie's Hovel
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Blood Crypt
    4 Mountain
    3 Mutavault
    1 Contested War Zone

SB
    4 Earwig Squad
    3 Vexing Shusher
    2 Goblin Razerunners
    2 Goblin Ruinblaster
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Mad Auntie
    1 Warren Weirding

I think this gives the deck a slightly better G1 against combo with Thoughtseize (still not ideal) and a little more stability against Zoo with the Ruinblasters main. The curve is less elegant, at 14/11/12/3 (hell, not really a curve at all at this point) but eventually I'll get to sit down with it and see how it works out.
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.

Re: [Deck] Goblins

Good list/ideas guys, thanks for input. Great work =). I've almost given up on goblins in modern. Modern RDW (red deck wins) kinda destroys any goblin lists I had tried to make. I think you are on the right track with the addition of Sensation Gorger. I was finding that no matter how I did my list I would just run out of goblins when playing burn. It's not like legacy where I basically have infinite goblins.

Instead of knucklebone witch what about prickly boggart? Do you guys think tuktuk the explorer has any room in this deck? I like Goblin arsonist too, hes either a creature people want to leave alone or can combo nicely with grenade or can potentially on his own take out 2 creatures. There's also a black goblin thats a 5/5 (costs 4). He champions a goblin but something about if your goblins deal dmg you get 1/1s..can't remember card name now. Anyway I think goblins needs a heavier focus on card advantage/creating multiple goblins. Seems like modern is just taking all the good cards in the meta and mashing them together like Zoo. Not sure if tribals have enough in their card pool to compete against decks with all the best cards in the meta put together.

I think lead the stampede is out, without gempalm I'm forced to get non-creature removal and I end up drawing like 1 or 2 creatures with it and end up putting other needed spells on the bottom of the library. I'd love to know how your play testing is going with the goblins.

Thanks,
    Chris

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnagy View Post
    Good list/ideas guys, thanks for input. Great work =). I've almost given up on goblins in modern. Modern RDW (red deck wins) kinda destroys any goblin lists I had tried to make. I think you are on the right track with the addition of Sensation Gorger. I was finding that no matter how I did my list I would just run out of goblins when playing burn. It's not like legacy where I basically have infinite goblins.

Instead of knucklebone witch what about prickly boggart? Do you guys think tuktuk the explorer has any room in this deck? I like Goblin arsonist too, hes either a creature people want to leave alone or can combo nicely with grenade or can potentially on his own take out 2 creatures. There's also a black goblin thats a 5/5 (costs 4). He champions a goblin but something about if your goblins deal dmg you get 1/1s..can't remember card name now. Anyway I think goblins needs a heavier focus on card advantage/creating multiple goblins. Seems like modern is just taking all the good cards in the meta and mashing them together like Zoo. Not sure if tribals have enough in their card pool to compete against decks with all the best cards in the meta put together.

I think lead the stampede is out, without gempalm I'm forced to get non-creature removal and I end up drawing like 1 or 2 creatures with it and end up putting other needed spells on the bottom of the library. I'd love to know how your play testing is going with the goblins.

Thanks,
    Chris
    I played it a bit this weekend. I just couldn't make myself like it. It was too reliant on the lords because the rest of the creatures, while interesting on their own, just didn't pack a punch. Warren Instigator is NOT Goblin Lackey. He ate removal constantly. I think I managed to hit someone with him once, at which point it was just a win-more anyway.

I'm not sure if there's a way to make the deck competitive, but compared to playing Splinter Twin, I felt like I was piloting a Dodge Neon compared to a Corvette...

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I've been trying to pilot a mono-green elves aggro list, and I came across Lead the Stampede. It isn't in the colors typically found in goblins, but I draw on average 3 elves every time I cast it. It's not Sylvan Messengaer or Goblin Ringleader, but it may be an option considering the lack of good creatures. I think Sensation Gorger is about as good as you'll get though...

Other options in black:

Footbottom Feast
    Phyrexian Arena
    Dark Tutelage

The other option I was thinking of using was a tokens-focus along with Bloodmark Mentor and Shared Animosity.

Rough Goblin Tokens list:

4x Goblin Guide
    4x Dragon Fodder
    4x Mogg War Marshal
    3x Bloodmark Mentor
    4x Goblin Chieftain
    4x Goblin King
    4x Boggart Ram-Gang
    2x Siege-Gang Commander
    3x Shared Animosity
    4x Goblin Grenade
    3x Sensation Gorger
    19x Mountain
    2x Ghost Quarter
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    I played it a bit this weekend. I just couldn't make myself like it. It was too reliant on the lords because the rest of the creatures, while interesting on their own, just didn't pack a punch. Warren Instigator is NOT Goblin Lackey. He ate removal constantly. I think I managed to hit someone with him once, at which point it was just a win-more anyway.

I'm not sure if there's a way to make the deck competitive, but compared to playing Splinter Twin, I felt like I was piloting a Dodge Neon compared to a Corvette...
    My thoughts exactly too..=(

I like your list Mr. Safety, if you get time to test it let me know your results. Ultimately though I don't think goblins have it in this format to compete in tourneys. I think some nice well put together lists can be created but just aren't going to "pack a punch" as SpikeyMikey said. *tear

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I agree...and I feel the same thing about aggro elves without a splash. It just can't get there.

I've tested my list extensively in casual games, but not against the current modern metagame, on MWS. The token producers are pretty badass, but I forgot the main reason to be playing tokens: Goblin Bushwhacker! I'm not sure about Devastating Summons, but anything that makes 2 dudes or more with one card (Empty the Warrens, Dragon Fodder, Mogg War Marshal, Siege Gang Commander) makes Bushwacker pretty much awesome. Shared Animosity is the nuts with a bunch of little dudes on the table. Still, it all folds to a well placed Firespout, and even has trouble with a slow-rolled Grim Lavamancer.
    *sigh* Goblins in modern need some new tech, for sure.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Updated list, this one might be worth playing:

4x Goblin Guide
    4x Goblin Arsonist
    4x Mogg War Marshal
    4x Goblin Bushwhacker
    4x Goblin Chieftain
    4x Goblin King
    3x Sensation Gorger

4x Dragon Fodder
    4x Shared Animosity
    4x Goblin Grenade
    1x Devastating Summons

19x Mountain
    1x Ghost Quarter

You sacrifice your late game (Siege Gang) for a more explosive early/mid game with all the lords. You get better incremental advantage with this list, which is what tribal is supposed to do really well. I took out Bloodmark Mentor, feeling it was only good in the aggro matchup. Put it in the sideboard so you can outmuscle zoo's dudes easier. Reverberate or Shunt may be some sneaky tech for the sideboard as well. I think a 1-of Devastating Summons could be really good considering the lack of instant speed whipers, and your elementals will be out of Firespout range anyways.

I may be testing this out, it has promise. The big card I left out is Gobin Assault...but it isn't a goblin to feed Sensation Gorger, and there is already 13 non-goblin cards in the list already.
    Brainstorm Realist

Hey man,

Would Tarfire be acceptable in your list? I looked at the rulings and you can get it with Sensation Gorger. I like your new list though so I don't know what you could take out or if it even fits at all. If you decide to play test, please share your results

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

You could squeeze in Tarfire by doing this:

-2 Dragon Fodder
    -1 Shared Animosity
    -1 Devastating Summons

+4 Tarfire

Honestly, that may be a smarter option. With Sensation Gorger being so important, having a critical mass of goblin cards to reveal with him is pretty crucial.
    Brainstorm Realist

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010
    Isla de luzón de filipinas

Finally a thread for goblins in modern.
    To begin with, let me share what's i have:

lands
    4 dragonskull summit
    3 aunt hovel
    3 mutavault
    10 mountain
    1 swamp

4 goblin king
    4 goblin chieftain
    4 goblin guide
    4 goblin wardriver
    2 goblin bushwacher
    2 spikeshot elder
    3Mogg War Marshal
    1 adaptive automation

3 dismember
    4 lightning bolt
    3 goblin granade

4 duress
    1 bloodmoon

Errrr... I know my build looks a little-off from what you have (vial base), what can you say? ^_^
    TJB

http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Every modern goblins deck needs 4x Mogg War Marshal, 4x Chieftain, and possibly quest for the goblin lord. So hard to stabilize against that.
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Every modern goblins deck needs 4x Mogg War Marshal, 4x Chieftain, and possibly quest for the goblin lord. So hard to stabilize against that.
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by perm View Post
    Repeated for posterity. I was using Shared Animosity, but Quest for the Goblin Lord seems like a strict upgrade on mana requirements alone.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Been testing on MTGO with good success using this list:

4x Goblin Chieftain
    4x Goblin Bushwhacker
    4x Mogg War Marshall
    4x Goblin Wardriver
    4x Warren Instigator
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Siege-Gang Commander
    4x Goblin Guide

4x AEther Vial
    4x Dismember
    4x Lightning Bolt

16x Mountain

Sideboard:
    4x Blood Moon
    4x Leyline of Punishment
    4x Relic of Progenitus
    3x Shattering Spree

If Warren Instigator connects early and you drop two decent goblins, then that's usually game.

Thread Information