View Poll Results: Would you like it if Brainstorm was banned?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I am really looking forward this!

9 9.00%
  • I don't care, there will always be a dominant strategy.

6 6.00%
  • No, but I can leave with that...

54 54.00%
  • No, and I'd quit legacy right away.

31 31.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you like it if Brainstorm was banned?

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Would you like it if Brainstorm was banned?

EDIT: Duh, made a mistake there, it's "I can LIVE with that" Sorry :(

Simple enough question.

I think there is still some time for this one before the list comes. Let's see how the crew feels
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: Would you like it if Brainstorm was banned?

I might be emotional about it, but banning Brainstorm would really hurt the competitiveness of the format as it's the single-handedly most difficult spell to play in the entire of Legacy. Right now, I assume more than 90% of people are playing it plain incorrect and don't nearly get enought value out of it. However, most people just don't realize because it's their generally assumption that Brainstorm is just a good card in itself.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I might be emotional about it, but banning Brainstorm would really hurt the competitiveness of the format as it's the single-handedly most difficult spell to play in the entire of Legacy. Right now, I assume more than 90% of people are playing it plain incorrect and don't nearly get enought value out of it. However, most people just don't realize because it's their generally assumption that Brainstorm is just a good card in itself.
    No matter how bad you play brainstorm, it is still devastating. End of Turn brainstorm, using it to hide from discard, using fetchlands in response to shuffle, using it as a response to.

oh man. This card needs to go.

Oct 2009
    Michigan

EOT Brainstorm is quite often aweful, and is usually a mistake. The only exception could be T1 digging for a free counterspell when you don't have one and the game is determined enough by tempo that forcing through your two drop will win you the game.

Assuming no fetch that is.

*Edit* I am in the camp that I would hate to see it go, but I love the format enough that I would suck it up. It would be quite soul crushing, though.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by julian23 View Post
    right now, i assume more than 90% of people are playing it plain incorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by avatar of shadow View Post
    end of turn brainstorm [...]
    oh man. This card needs to go.

q.e.d.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Oct 2008
    Amherst

Bullshit. Brainstorm sucks when you keep a one land hand with brainstorm, play it turn one and see no lands, and then have to draw two nonlands on your next two turns.

Obviously you shouldn't keep a one land hand hoping for brainstorm to draw you out of it, and if you do that, you should wait until turn two to cast it, or whatever, but my point is that you can play a brainstorm like shit. It is not always good.

Edit: I'm real slow.

I think brainstorm is totally fair, and would be sad to see it go, but would still play Legacy.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Meh, the option for yes look a lot like an option only a fanatic would vote for. Regardless, i think a ban on Brainstorm would revitalize the format and create a lot of new archetype space, especially for decks based in black. If worse come to worse, brainstorm can be unbanned again. It's not like the list is a life sentence. I'd like wotc to be more liberal in their approach to the B/R list.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

I'm in the field that I don't care. If no brainstorm, something else will be strong, and if brainstorm go, decks playing it will try to use other cantrips, and go figure, they will work. Blue would get a small nerf, but in the end of the day, I'll have to adapt to whatever comes.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

What would people play in a format without Brainstorm?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

I'd live with it because I love Legacy, but I'd be very angry and disappointed. I'm also very tired of seeing cards that are powerful but fair being targeted for speculative banning (Lackey, Tarmogoyf, FoW, Top, MM, and now Brainstorm). Most of the time, those discussions don't even succeed in picking out the actual problem cards, or the cards that really make an archetype dominant in a given metagame. The fact that something is powerful is not necessarily coextensive with its being problematic or unfair. I really appreciate Zilla's post on Brainstorm in the B/R thread; I think he has the right of it:

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Paired with shuffle effects, Brainstorm is the single most objectively powerful card in the format, bar none. Merfolk is typically mono-blue and therefore does not run shuffle effects. Even when it does, its extraordinarily high redundancy strongly reduces the need for card filtering, hence the reason it typically doesn't run Brainstorm.

Essentially every single other deck in the format that runs blue plays 4 Brainstorm. It really is that good. It allows for decks like Team America to only run 8 win conditions and still remain one of the most aggressive decks in the format. It literally makes every single deck it gets put into more consistent, and consistency wins games.

Blue is played more than every other color in the format and it's not because it's "just popular." Or maybe it is, but it's popular for the same reason that Google is popular. Because it's the "best."

Brainstorm is absolutely the reason that blue is dominant. When constructing a deck in Legacy, you have to have a very good reason not to start your list with 4x Brainstorm, followed by 4x Misstep, 3-4x Daze, 4x FoW. This is more true now than ever, and only continues to be more true as time goes on. Blue is getting stronger in this format over time and other colors are getting weaker.

It's not at all hard to argue that this is stifling (no pun intended) to innovation, particularly if blue continues to trend upwards as it has without fail since the inception of the format. When people say that blue is dominant and that they think it's a problem, this is what they mean.

As an aside, I think the trend is disturbing, but not so much so that action is necessary. As you pointed out, there are plenty of viable non-blue decks in the format. As long as that's true, I don't think action needs to be taken. I also think that banning Brainstorm would be a real mistake, and should only ever be seriously considered if blue is in literally every competitive deck, because the player backlash to a format without Brainstorm would be severe.

It's definitely the best card in the format, and is unquestionably the reason for blue's dominance, but it's also easy to acquire, easy to splash, requires some amount of skill, is fun to play with, and doesn't feel terribly unfair to play against.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

q.e.d.
    my points exactly. No matter how bad you play brainstorm, it is still useful

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Goaswerfraiejen View Post
    I'd live with it because I love Legacy, but I'd be very angry and disappointed. I'm also very tired of seeing cards that are powerful but fair being targeted for speculative banning (Lackey, Tarmogoyf, FoW, Top, MM, and now Brainstorm). Most of the time, those discussions don't even succeed in picking out the actual problem cards, or the cards that really make an archetype dominant in a given metagame. The fact that something is powerful is not necessarily coextensive with its being problematic or unfair. I really appreciate Zilla's post on Brainstorm in the B/R thread; I think he has the right of it:
    I'd like to counter this argument, FoW, Brainstorm, MM and Tarmogoyf (not that much anymore, but still) are clear examples of Dominant strategies to me. Maybe not degenerate, but dominant.

Yea, I believe the banning of Brainstorm will hinder NO/Blade Decks. Also the banning will hinder control players from using Mental Misstep since the spell can become deadweight and not so easly to filter out of your hand.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Meh, the option for yes look a lot like an option only a fanatic would vote for. Regardless, i think a ban on Brainstorm would revitalize the format and create a lot of new archetype space, especially for decks based in black. If worse come to worse, brainstorm can be unbanned again. It's not like the list is a life sentence. I'd like wotc to be more liberal in their approach to the B/R list.
    Sorry, I should have added "Yes, but just for the LuLz" or "Yeah, cuz I don't like it's drawning "

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

I would be sad and I would have to abandon combo ship. But maybe it would be a good moment to play something like Deadguy Ale / Eva Green which I like very much as a deck strategy.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of Shadow View Post
    my points exactly. No matter how bad you play brainstorm, it is still useful
    Wait...you were just proofed playing Brainstorm wrong and now talk bullshit about "my points exactly"? I guess that's how discussion on the Internet works.

That aside, a card being "useful" whenever you play just means that the card does anything, which is a quality applicable to almost any card in the format.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Wait...you were just proofen playing Brainstorm wrong and know talk bullshit about "my points exactly"? I guess that's how discussion on the Internet works.

That aside, a card being "useful" whenever you play just means that the card does anything, which is a quality applicable to almost any card in the format.
    Do you understand what I mean? I said no matter how bad you play brainstorm, the end results with the card is still overpowered. Granted, there are other ways to maximize the utility of the card, but even at an EOT brainstorm is good for lots of other purposes, like getting an extra land, or drawing into a combo piece, or untapping ur lands after getting excellent card quality.

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of Shadow View Post
    Do you understand what I mean? I said no matter how bad you play brainstorm, the end results with the card is still overpowered. Granted, there are other ways to maximize the utility of the card, but even at an EOT brainstorm is good for lots of other purposes, like getting an extra land, or drawing into a combo piece, or untapping ur lands after getting excellent card quality.
    Sorry Avatar, but you are just wrong. End of turn Brainstorm is far from broken. We can't discuss potential banning of Brainstorm with people that consider it broken by itself.

You fail realize that you are just saying that casting Brainstorm does "anything". That's no point to argue about because - as I said - almost any card in Legacy will do anything when being cast.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by brattin View Post
    Bullshit. Brainstorm sucks when you keep a one land hand with brainstorm, play it turn one and see no lands, and then have to draw two nonlands on your next two turns.

Obviously you shouldn't keep a one land hand hoping for brainstorm to draw you out of it, and if you do that, you should wait until turn two to cast it, or whatever, but my point is that you can play a brainstorm like shit. It is not always good.

Edit: I'm real slow.

I think brainstorm is totally fair, and would be sad to see it go, but would still play Legacy.
    Thank you for pointing that out. Brainstorm turn 1 to cheat 1-land hands is bad play. At least I think so...

Brainstorm is one of my favorite cards of all time. Having it relegated to Vintage/casual play would be sad indeed.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

I dont think the format would be so enjoyable to play without Brainstorm.

If they really want to reduce the power of brainstorm they better print cards that does punishing drawing mulitple cards a turn. Kinda like Chains of Mephistopheles but instant version of it. Chains never surprices anyone, but an instant version could do it.

Thread Information