View Poll Results: Would you like it if Brainstorm was banned?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I am really looking forward this!

9 9.00%
  • I don't care, there will always be a dominant strategy.

6 6.00%
  • No, but I can leave with that...

54 54.00%
  • No, and I'd quit legacy right away.

31 31.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you like it if Brainstorm was banned?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Re: Would you like it if Brainstorm was banned?

Jace, the Mind Sculptor anyone?

If Brainstorm were to be banned, I think the decks that would miss it the most would be combo decks.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Do you realize that banning Brainstorm would push essentially *any* combo-centric strategy to surge in Legacy? Banning Brainstorm means amputate not-so-partially Force of Will, too. Clunky storm Combo with pact of Negation and a bunch of permant-hate solutions would quickly surge anywhere, as well as green-based decks optimized to win the game via fast Natural Order (maybe BG or such, with discard as a backup protection).
    Ok, the combo-nightmare issue has been brought over and over, but the general fact is that Legacy without Brainstorm would lose most of its depth and became another flat, four-archetypes-rotating-around format like Vintage. Plus, it would be a shame to see Brainstorm ending like Survival in the binders, played in any format at all.

The best solution is to move Misstep to Modern, where it can't arguably create degenerate scenarios or meta-centerizations as it did in these months in Legacy. There are no broken spells to counter there, and MM wouldn't help combo in countering significant hate coming post-board. It just would help against Thoughtseize. Blue decks could be led to something decent, still being in check due to the absence of relevant pieces like Jace, Blossom and AV. And still, it wouldn't help blue against Twelvepost.dec because there are no targets at all.

Unbanning Mystical Tutor isn't a solution, instead. Even keeping MM, a 2009-ish meta would be quickly restored. ANT with Mystical Tutor would crush every non-CB, MM deck. But most of all: Reanimator with Mystical tutor and Mental Misstep?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

(V) (;,,;) (V)
    Jul 2008
    Minneapolis, MN

Format's fine. Why would they ban anything? If there was anything that should happen it's the undoing of the Berserk power level. There's no need for it to not function as a removal spell anymore. It's not that broken and it's not that good in the meta.
    Tinkering with some crafting theory. Here

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Sorry Avatar, but you are just wrong. End of turn Brainstorm is far from broken. We can't discuss potential banning of Brainstorm with people that consider it broken by itself.

You fail realize that you are just saying that casting Brainstorm does "anything". That's no point to argue about because - as I said - almost any card in Legacy will do anything when being cast.
    I disagree with this whole train of thought that is becoming increasingly dangerous - especially to newer players. I'm aware there have been a multitude of people explaining how to properly play Brainstorm over the course of its existence - more notably in the last year or so. The fact is, there are times when the card can work better as an 'End of Turn' spell, and it really isn't all it is hyped up to be as a 'Sorcery' digging one card deeper during your turn. Brainstorm is, I agree, one of the most difficult cards to play in Legacy. However, you're also talking about a format with one of the most diverse and complicated card pools in all of competitive Magic; the right time to cast a card is parallel to the situation in the game.

People started exploring beyond the trendy plays of "Draw Step - Clique" and "End of Turn - Brainstorm." The problem with that is that that opposite line of thought has now become trendy. We can all agree that knowing just simply when to play a card at the right time requires a great deal of thought and anticipation, but we shouldn't dismiss the line of play that has become synonymous with those cards as being "noob" in nature just because someone says so. If your timing is off, that's your own fault and you can learn from your mistakes. But that's what makes cards like Brainstorm so multifaceted; they shouldn't be used sparingly, but rather accordingly.

Card quality is certainly a factor in this belief. But the fact remains knowing how to play the card at the right time doesn't always mean "your turn" as being the correct choice, which is becoming increasingly dangerous in perception due to the coercive, distorted nature of some people who are teaching others how to play with specific cards (unintentionally) incorrectly. I've won games off the back of misplayed Brainstorms - main-phase Brainstorms - where an opponent has fallen short on mana or fetched improperly due to an urgent game-state.

I'm simply saying the card requires thought, but the luxury of it being an Instant is just that: the card can be played at the end of an opponent's turn - if desired - and subsequently draws can be filtered and fixed before a fresh untap (and an E.O.T. fetch) to move into a desired position. Brainstorm improves the quality of inferior draws, which I believe is its greatest strength. I don't see it as being overly powerful to the point of an automatic 'win' upon resolution, although because of the card's storied history, I'm sure one could argue countless games have been won of the back of a resolved Brainstorm.

I'm also sure just as many have lost countless games due to incorrectly playing it, which makes one wonder if it is the card that wins games itself or the player using it that loses games due to an incorrect line of play.

And, for the record, I could care less if Brainstorm were to be banned - which it won't. The only card(s) right now in my opinion worth examining a ban would be Mental Misstep and Show and Tell, and right now that's anyone's guess as to what will happen with either of those. Show and Tell is far undercosted for what it intends on doing - even if it does "benefit" the opponent.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

I aggre the format is fine and metagames does changes all the time. Kinda strange people dont like to do more metagaming.

Nov 2006
    London

q.e.d.
    If you have a powerful spell to cast the next turn, but need another land drop (or any other card for that matter) and won't have an extra U to pay for Brainstorm during the same turn, it can be optimal to cast EOT.

Or if on turn 2 you have an instant cast 1 mana play to make, along with a fetch and a Brainstorm to filter your hand, there's usually no reason not to wait to make the play and shuffle EOT.

Yes, you see 1 less card, hence it is usually better to cast main phase, but not always.

Edit: Looks like Hollywood beat me to it with a much more detailed response. Ty

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    If you have a powerful spell to cast the next turn, but need another land drop (or any other card for that matter) and won't have an extra U to pay for Brainstorm it the same turn, it can be optimal to cast EOT.

Yes, you see 1 less card, hence it is usually better to cast main phase, but not always.
    Yup, I agree with this, which is also what Hollywood said.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

I don't particularly want to see anything banned at this point. I feel like the format still has a lot of evolution to go through and I don't by any means think UW Mystic and NO Rug are the end all best decks in the format. They are probably tier 1 still but there are plenty of decks that beat them that no one is playing because they just look at results and assume there is no point in playing anything but those two decks. It will be interesting to see what Snapcaster Mage does. Mystic and NO Rug are so tight at this point he'd be hard to fit in either without a significant overhaul but I could see a more Stifle and tempo centered Mystic deck in either UW or Bant being really good. I could certainly see at this point a deck similar to the old UW tempo making use of Snapcaster and shaking things up, making some decks better and others much worse in the process and adjusting the tiers.

If anything Blue has to be banned though I really hope it's not Misstep. I could care less about what it does for blue decks, every non-blue deck needed answers to stupid turn 0 plays for the SB and now that it finally came in perfect form if it exits the format again I'll be bitter. If Brainstorm gets banned I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, it's probably the best card in Legacy and it only seems to be getting better as time goes on. I don't want it banned but I wouldn't say that WotC had their heads up their asses if it did end up getting the axe.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Since Brainstorm is my favorite Magic card that's legal in Legacy, I'd rather it not be banned. It's a skill-testing card that greatly rewards smart play. I absolutely love cards like Cabal Therapy, Fact or Fiction, and Brainstorm that are highly skill dependent. Legacy needs more cards like that not less. I can see the argument for banning it to increase format diversity, but I'd like Legacy more with it. I wouldn't quit if it were banned, but I wouldn't be happy.

On the other hand, it would make my global collection of Brainstorms much less expensive to complete. Masques foils are insanely expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

I think it's clear that a minor portion of the people would like to see brainstorm banned at this point, but otoh, most of the people know how strong it is, would accept the ban, and move on... Interesting.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    Do you realize that banning Brainstorm would push essentially *any* combo-centric strategy to surge in Legacy? Banning Brainstorm means amputate not-so-partially Force of Will, too. Clunky storm Combo with pact of Negation and a bunch of permant-hate solutions would quickly surge anywhere, as well as green-based decks optimized to win the game via fast Natural Order (maybe BG or such, with discard as a backup protection).
    Ok, the combo-nightmare issue has been brought over and over, but the general fact is that Legacy without Brainstorm would lose most of its depth and became another flat, four-archetypes-rotating-around format like Vintage. Plus, it would be a shame to see Brainstorm ending like Survival in the binders, played in any format at all.

The best solution is to move Misstep to Modern, where it can't arguably create degenerate scenarios or meta-centerizations as it did in these months in Legacy. There are no broken spells to counter there, and MM wouldn't help combo in countering significant hate coming post-board. It just would help against Thoughtseize. Blue decks could be led to something decent, still being in check due to the absence of relevant pieces like Jace, Blossom and AV. And still, it wouldn't help blue against Twelvepost.dec because there are no targets at all.

Unbanning Mystical Tutor isn't a solution, instead. Even keeping MM, a 2009-ish meta would be quickly restored. ANT with Mystical Tutor would crush every non-CB, MM deck. But most of all: Reanimator with Mystical tutor and Mental Misstep?
    You've got it backwards, control decks don't need Brainstorm to keep combo in check, combo decks need Brainstorm in order to be a threat. Aggro-control would litereally not care and just replace Brainstorm with Pre-Ordain, TES and co would just fold without it.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Excellent post, Hollywood.

Option four.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

I would be very sad to see one of the most fun cards in Magic be banned on the whims of people that simply don't like it.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I might be emotional about it, but banning Brainstorm would really hurt the competitiveness of the format as it's the single-handedly most difficult spell to play in the entire of Legacy. Right now, I assume more than 90% of people are playing it plain incorrect and don't nearly get enought value out of it. However, most people just don't realize because it's their generally assumption that Brainstorm is just a good card in itself.

This is so untrue it makes my brain hurt. 90% of the time it requires very little thought to play Brainstorm correctly. Compare this with a card like Force or Thoughtseize where even making the right call frequently feels like getting punched in the dick. Even Top is harder to play and I don't think there's any excuse to take more than forty seconds looking at a given top short of stalling.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Also I agree with Hollywood that people are seriously underrating the utility of an eot Brainstorm, especially on turn 1. If you have a turn 2 play and a fetchland in hand you should absolutely go ahead and do that turn 1 Brainstorm 98% of the time.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Literally, the only reason I occasionally play legacy instead of vintage is because I have access to four Brainstorms. If they ever unrestricted it in Vintage, or banned it in Legacy, I would drop Legacy like a sac of potatoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    On a more constructive note: Anything can be funny, even if it is about rape.
    TIME POLICE

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

I don't think Brainstorm is nearly powerful enough to be in ban consideration.

That said, I see the logic behind it and support it anyway. And I think you'd be surprised how healthy a Brainstormless format would be.

Brainstorm is the ONE card you can ban that provides a minor blow to a format overrife with blue. It will be a minor dink for blue control, a minor dink for blue aggro control, and a minor dink for combo decks. Sure, it misses Merfolk, but Merfolk isn't that amazing right now.

Banning Brainstorm is the equivalent of saying "Okay, we've gotta take something away from blue, but we're not trying to completely invalidate several decks and not trying to return things to the all-combo state that Legacy was en route to becoming before Mental Misstep completely 180'd it." It also provides a boost to black, because now Thoughtseize and other Discard don't get brainstorm trolled and are actually worth playing. And to keep them from being a little too good, Mental Misstep exists.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

I'd most likely sub in Ponder over Brainstorm should it get the ban. Preordain would then fill the spots of where ponder used to be. But, I don't think that should happen.

I don't think Brainstorm is nearly powerful enough to be in ban consideration.

That said, I see the logic behind it and support it anyway. And I think you'd be surprised how healthy a Brainstormless format would be.

Brainstorm is the ONE card you can ban that provides a minor blow to a format overrife with blue. It will be a minor dink for blue control, a minor dink for blue aggro control, and a minor dink for combo decks. Sure, it misses Merfolk, but Merfolk isn't that amazing right now.

Banning Brainstorm is the equivalent of saying "Okay, we've gotta take something away from blue, but we're not trying to completely invalidate several decks and not trying to return things to the all-combo state that Legacy was en route to becoming before Mental Misstep completely 180'd it." It also provides a boost to black, because now Thoughtseize and other Discard don't get brainstorm trolled and are actually worth playing. And to keep them from being a little too good, Mental Misstep exists.
    This is basically my thinking on it as well. I don't think that any of the big 4 Blue cards are bad enough on their own (Jace, Brainstorm, FoW, MM) but together, they have clearly made Blue the best color in the format. I don't think any color should dominate as much as Blue is. Given those 4, it probably makes the most sense to ban Brainstorm. I don't think there is a chance in hell that they will, but it would probably balance the colors out the most without impacting that much else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

It's also worth factoring Snapcaster Mage into this discussion, since he's about to be in the same breath with the blue overpoweredness. Snapcaster Mage and Brainstorm starts getting a little stupid in the dig department (Though, arguably, not much more stupid than Snapcaster/Mental Misstep).

Jace the Mind Sculptor isn't all that nuts. Anything that's a 4-drop in Legacy has to be just world crushing to be dangerous. Jace is very close, but I don't think he gets there on his own. CMC 4 is kind of where they allow game-winning things to happen. And, honestly? Jace doesn't outclass Natural Order by that much. They're both pretty much game winning if they resolve unless you already have a decent board position or already have the card in hand/in play to handle it.

Force of Will's banning actually would be interesting also. I'd rather see it go than Mental Misstep. There'd still be plenty of reasons to play blue, between Brainstorm, Misstep, Clique, Snapcaster, and Jace. Combo would be kept in check by other counters and by the fact that some combo decks would also lose Force. However, with the printing of Past in Flames, I'm pretty sure this is no longer a feasible option for the format.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Thread Information