Thread: Best draw spell in the format?

The one and only Incurable Ham
    Apr 2010
    Columbus, OH

Best draw spell in the format?

So I am working on a control deck because I want to play blue for the first time ever. What does everyone think is the best blue draw spell in the format now that Ponder and Preordain are banned?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: Best draw spell in the format?

See Beyond? Gitaxian Probe?

There doesn't seem to be much options. :\
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Telling time?

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

In all honesty, Gifts ungiven.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Dark Confidant? (Its Blue in the same way Tarmogoyf is)

Gifts is Probably right up there as well.

Think Twice is decent in Pauper :P

Gifts Ungiven is probably the way to go.
    It's also scientifically proven that resolving Nicol Bolas during a competitive legacy event causes the caster's penis to grow a good two or three inches.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Gifts Ungiven, hands down. The problem is that the other decent options (Compulsive Research, Thirst for Knowledge, See Beyond) are either too expensive or not powerful enough.

Telling Time is decent, I suppose. Same with Peer through Depths, but it's fairly conditional.

I would have to say that Sleight of Hand is about the only marginally playable 1-mana draw spell now. Vision of Beyond is too conditional.

Mystic Speculation has some promise, but it doesn't actually draw you cards. It's like a 'fixed' Sensei's Divining Top, costing you 3 every time you use it but having the upgrade of filtering your library better by putting junk to the bottom.

That's my initial thoughts. Here are the playable draw spells in modern now (with some black ones added in):

Mystic Speculation
    Sleight of Hand
    Telling Time
    Peer through Depths
    Thirst for Knowledge
    Compulsive Research
    Gifts Ungiven
    Dark Confidant
    Phyrexian Arena
    Night's Whisper
    Sign in Blood
    Dark Tutelage

EDIT: add these

Think Twice
    Fathom Seer
    Perilous Research
    Serum Visions
    Mulldrifter
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 09-20-2011 at 09:43 AM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Gifts Ungiven, hands down. The problem is that the other decent options (Compulsive Research, Thirst for Knowledge, See Beyond) are either too expensive or not powerful enough.

Telling Time is decent, I suppose. Same with Peer through Depths, but it's fairly conditional.

I would have to say that Sleight of Hand is about the only marginally playable 1-mana draw spell now. Vision of Beyond is too conditional.

Mystic Speculation has some promise, but it doesn't actually draw you cards. It's like a 'fixed' Sensei's Divining Top, costing you 3 every time you use it but having the upgrade of filtering your library better by putting junk to the bottom.

That's my initial thoughts. Here are the playable draw spells in modern now (with some black ones added in):

Mystic Speculation
    Sleight of Hand
    Telling Time
    Peer through Depths
    Thirst for Knowledge
    Compulsive Research
    Gifts Ungiven
    Dark Confidant
    Phyrexian Arena
    Night's Whisper
    Sign in Blood
    Dark Tutelage
    That's awesome! I've been working on two decks for a couple of weeks now that have three different draw spells...none of which are on your list. I love being able to contribute.

I see what you're trying to do and I like it. Getting a list together of the best draw and the best counters would make deck building easier, but I think it's not possible yet. I'll help anyway. If you want to play control in Modern you're going to have to build your deck from the ground up and get synergies going between the draw/counters and the rest of the deck.

Add Think Twice
    Fathom Seer
    Perilous Research
    Serum Visions to your list.
    When other people do not assert themselves, they may still have something to be proud of, something that they believe is unrivalled, but it is just that they have not got the same vulgarity of throwing their weight about and imposing themselves and their beliefs on other people. - Dunduzu Kalui Chisiza

If you think a topic is dumb, don't add to it. Pretty simple. - Bardo

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Thanks! I couldn't remember the name of Think Twice (and there is another version of it coming in Innistrad) and I remembered Serum Visions after I posted, just haven't fixed it yet.

Perilous Research is ok, but it gets REALLY good with Vedalken Shackles and any other stealy card.

I also added Mulldrifter for posterity.

Nice post!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Perilous Research is ok, but it gets REALLY good with Vedalken Shackles and any other stealy card.
    Synergies. Muuuhahaha. Thats waaaay more fun than stupid Hatching Plans tricks. Btw, Perilous Research also likes to work along side Life From the Loam. I'll stop dropping hints sooner or later and actually post a decklist. Til then I must keep tuning.
    When other people do not assert themselves, they may still have something to be proud of, something that they believe is unrivalled, but it is just that they have not got the same vulgarity of throwing their weight about and imposing themselves and their beliefs on other people. - Dunduzu Kalui Chisiza

If you think a topic is dumb, don't add to it. Pretty simple. - Bardo

Thirst for Knowledge and Forbidden Alchemy are really nice draw spells if you can abuse their drawbacks to your advantage.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by umbowta View Post
    Synergies. Muuuhahaha. Thats waaaay more fun than stupid Hatching Plans tricks. Btw, Perilous Research also likes to work along side Life From the Loam. I'll stop dropping hints sooner or later and actually post a decklist. Til then I must keep tuning.
    DUDE!!! You are DA MAN!!! I have some Perilous Research's just sitting in my collection...which will now be shoe-horned into my BUG Gifts deck, for sure! Why? Because I'm playing Loam/Raven's Crime already. Awesome.
    Brainstorm Realist

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Esper Charm

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    Esper Charm
    This
    Brainstorm is only useful in certain situations? Brainstorm is useful when you hand is not the stone cold nutter butter blade Ranchington Q. Farnsworth Esquire best. When Brainstorm is "dead", the game is already over.
    - AriLax

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

I think Fathom Seer is waiting to be broken. That card is so dumb.
    I will make use of every tool that fate presents.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Gitaxian Probe, Sleight of Hand, and Serum Visions. (And See Through Mists, Desperate Ritual, Past in Flames, Visions of Beyond, Manamorphose, Noxious Revival, and Pyromancer Ascension. I heard you like drawing cards.)
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Visions of Beyond is starting to grow on me...I saw it used very well in a U/b mill deck last night on MWS. Triggering it to draw 3 is pretty easy, it only takes one Glimpse the Unthinkable.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm also eyeballing Halimar Depths/Deprive shenanigans, which work well alongside Raven's Crime/Loam.
    Brainstorm Realist

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

After playtesting UW Shenanigans (Meddling, Snapcaster, Clique, Geist) in Modern, my vote is actually for Gitaxian Probe. Card is seriously stupidly underrated in a field with almost no competition.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Nicely worded, Tacosnape.

If you stop and look at targeted discard (Duress, Thoughtsieze, Inquisition of Kozilek) what is the most valuable part of it. Seeing your opponent's hand. Now, substitute the discard function with 'draw a card' instead, and make it conditionally free. Voila. You have Gitaxian Probe.

Honestly, I think it is a natural substitute in combo decks for Preordain/Ponder, and the other slot can be taken up with Peer through Depths, Serum Visions, or Sleight of Hand. Well, some combo decks were already playing Probe...maybe they sub in Spell Pierce now instead of bad draw spells.

The only argument I would have against using Probe in a control-ish build is that Thoughtsieze, Duress, and Inquisition can be potentially better, as they give information and can rob an opponent of a potential threat to your strategy.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information