Thread: September 2011 Banned & Restricted Update Instant Analysis

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

September 2011 Banned & Restricted Update Instant Analysis

(a bunch of Bannings)

These are some major changes to every widely played format outside of Standard (where Jace and Stoneforge are already Banned). What does this mean for these formats? Check out our Instant Analysis after the jump!

http://www.eternal-central.com/?p=2199

As always your comments and constructive criticisms are welcome. Please let us know what you thought!
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Re: September 2011 Banned & Restricted Update Instant Analysis

Holy fuck yes, MM got banned. I can put all these shit ideas for decks away or just burn them, and go back to playing an actual deck.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Nothing to say, i largely agree with article, Legacy slowing down drastically was pretty much a welcomed change of pace for me.

Modern banned list is looking more and more a joke, it has already how many... 25 cards?
    In a sense this is a good thing because it will make Legacy and Modern not overlap at all, but still.

Honestly Vintage is looking the most interesting format lately. If it weren't for some of the singletons that pushes too much variance (Ancestral, Walk, Tinker and Jewelry mostly) the format could be so amazing. Make me interested in Classic Online...

Apr 2011
    Århus, Denmark

At the first legacy tournament I participated in after New Phyrexia came out, I played 3 Misstep. Since then, I played 4. In every deck I played. Every time I played. And I have to say, I am really glad we are rid of it now. I don't hate blue, quite the opposite. But I strongly disliked how grindy games became, and I especially disliked how much space Misstep took out of decklists. The banning will essentially give every blue deck plus four flex slots, leading to a much more diverse format. I can sympathise with players who only like to play slow control decks, though.

Edit: "the substitution of Serum Visions and Sleight of Hand in for the banned Ponder and Preordain is not a significant impediment for [Splinter Twin]."
    I doubt that. However, it does not matter that much, since Twin will still be a turn four or later combo deck, which is fine.
    Banning Cloudpost is a bit harsh, I guess, but it will give control a lot of room for growth.
    Punishing Fire seems way overrated, given that the main aggro deck is Zoo. How is it relevant that it is good against Merfolk, Elves, etc., when there is no good reason to play those decks anyway?

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Holy shit that's a lot of cards. I think they got a little out of hand with Modern.

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

Weird, but I largeley agree with nearly all the new announcements.
    Even if it seems silly to outstanding players, all the bannings done for the modern format are completely understandable. It is just odd that the explanations got a bit short, and seem a bit arbitrarily at first glance, especially for players who hasnt got in touch with the modern format yet.
    Combo-decks are now forced to play weaker Cantrips and removing a 2nd/3rd turn kill from the Top-Tier-Decks is a step in the right direction. Especially Rite of Flame needs to go as well as Shoal, because removing the lifegain in the first few turns via banning Cloudpost (and with that, Glimmerpost) would place fast-combo over the top, definetly.
    Cloudpost also clears the path at least a bit for control-decks (pls dont argue with that NL-Blue deck at that point, control isnt about a single deck IMHO), even if they suffer also from removing Preordain and Ponder.
    Alternatives are already printed (Serum Visions, Sleight of Hand) and it would really surprise me if new sets wouldnt print at least another Cantrip that is from its powerlevel more in balance with the format.
    Greens Suns Zenith is definetly arguable, but from my own experience you really need a very good reason (now more than ever) to not run GSZ in your deck. The card itself is so powerful in a format that is based on (or at least ment to) sending dudes to the red zone, that I can totally understand they took this step in advantage to the evolution of the format.
    Removing this Toolbox is also balancing the heavily weakened Combo-Archetype and keeps potent weapons against nearly each deck more in check.
    Both Extended and Vintage updates seem fine to me, even if I am only slightly experienced with these (especially Extended).
    Now to the only thing that bothers me; Legacy.
    Removing Mental Mistep is fine with me (I really do hated that card right from the beginning), but this is not a longterm solution for the formats small, but existing problems. People will start to cry about Time Spiral and LED soon and things could go horribly wrong if a huge ammount of Combo decks, also other decks relying on CC1 cards, will have such a strong comeback that Wizards might be forced to take action.
    I heard here and there that CB will balance this exact movement of Legacy, but I hardly disagree on that point, and I really can see combo-pieces going back at the B/R list in the near future, which is not a problem in general, but is really a pain for players who put so much time/effort in decks that exist since Legacys creation.
    Even if I think that removing Mental Mistep WILL create a healthier and more diverse format, I bet this step is followed by even more bannings in the near future if some decks arent kept in check by new printed cards.
    Greetings
    In response...Hypothek!

Combo decks were kept in check by decks like team America and NO Bant before so I'm pretty sure nothing will be different.
    Before making any more posts based purely on a vage theory you should take a look at the top 8's of large events before the printing of mental misstep.
    I don't think there has been a moment the format was more diverse then it was at that time.
    I for one didn't think MM needed to be banned, but I'm not sad it's banned.

Apr 2011
    Århus, Denmark

@ I am the brainwasher: Why do you think that combo will roll over legacy? Look at the format post-survival, pre-new phyrexia. It wasn't overly dominated by combo by any means. Sure, combo will get new tools in Snapcaster Mage and Past in Flames, but it is far too early to say what effect they will have on the format, imo.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Dia_Bot View Post
    I don't think there has been a moment the format was more diverse then it was at that time.
    I for one didn't think MM needed to be banned, but I'm not sad it's banned.
    I hate reading that urban legend. The time between the banning and the printing of misstep was much to short to find the best decks. After MM the T16 of every tournament changed a lot too. And I dont believe Stoneblade and Norug were the end of the road. I had very good results with Enchantress for example.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    And I dont believe Stoneblade and Norug were the end of the road. I had very good results with Enchantress for example.
    I don't think so either. The format have been recovering from the mass of blue decks. Last 2 events I played in had a very diverse top 8, this is why I said I didn't think it should have been banned. Still I want to believe that the upcoming metagame will be diverse and that's a good thing.

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

Modern is starting look very crappy. There's going to be a larger ban list then playable cards. WTF is with Ponder and Preordain????
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Don't phyresis me, bro!
    Sep 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI

By and large a good article, and I agree with most of your message.

I think the most disappointing thing to me in regards to the MM ban, is that there was never a fair amount of time given to allow the format to shake itself out. I mean, Legacy has an incredibly diverse and powerful card pool. The history of the format definitely shows it could have easily taken more than 3 1/2 months for the new effects of Misstep (whatever your opinion of those effects may be) to get adapted to or whatever, but that it could have very likely been answered with a range of new decks or cards. But now we'll likely never now, and we're set back to exactly where we were in May. Very frustrating.

Speaking of Merfolk, AEther Vial decks will also see quite a resurgence, as they will once again naturally invalidate pure control strategies. Cards like Ancestral Vision, Standstill, and Counterbalance are once again too slow in the face of AEther Vial. The funny thing about Mental Misstep was that it actually slowed down the format’s fundamental turn by at least one full turn, if not more.
    lol no. First of all, Merfolk saw plenty of play regardless of Mental Misstep. AV and Standstill may be invalidated, but Counterbalance will see play to keep Storm and Spiral Tide decks in check. CBT will also start using the Blade Control shell.

IF CB decks don't start to spring up, combo players will give them reason to. Or more bannings.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    I hate reading that urban legend. The time between the banning and the printing of misstep was much to short to find the best decks. After MM the T16 of every tournament changed a lot too. And I dont believe Stoneblade and Norug were the end of the road. I had very good results with Enchantress for example.
    And Dredge (which thought to be dead) won a few weekends ago.

I really wished if they were going to ban the card at least give it 6 months on the field, 3 months as a warning that they are watching the card and the other 3 months to figure if the card needs to ban. I really dont like this crybaby/emergency banning crap.

Agree Stoneblade and NO RUG isnt dead and I doubt Goblins will come back as strong as it before MM.

Thread Information