Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number of Snapcaster Mages in Top 8 at SC Indy

Meat Slicer at Deli

Mar 2004
    Ypsi, MI

Number of Snapcaster Mages in Top 8 at SC Indy

I'm curious as to the number of Snapcaster Mage people actually think will be played. I know it's early in the legality for it so people haven't had time to find the best use of the card yet, but are there any predictions for the number of copies of the card that top 8?

I'm guessing 3 in top 8 and 7 in top 16 if they give us lists that far down.
    Whenever I see a kid in a wheelchair it makes me a little sad. Because I always think, "Gee, they could have used those same wheels to make a bike for a regular kid. What a waste."

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Re: Number of Snapcaster Mages in Top 8 at SC Indy

2 of top 8, 4 of 16. People won't know how to best use it yet. Goblins and Zoo will be 33% imo

Dec 2005
    McKinney, Texas

Speaking on the same topic: If you're running 4 x Snapcaster Mages, what would be the recommended number of sorceries and instants in a deck to maxamize his potential?

Jun 2009
    Sao Paulo - Brazil

I'm goind to guess 10(3 decks) in top8 and 16(5 decks) in top16.
    Super Bizarros Team.
    HUEHUEHUE BRBRBR. VIVA DILMA!!! EM NOME DE JESUS CRISTO!

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I'd probably say you'd want 16-18 flasbackable 1/2cc spells to run a full set of Snapcasters. Any less makes double Snapcaster a terrible draw. Snapcaster dominated the Standard Open BTW, it's price won't be dropping anytime soon.

Something like this would probably make 4 Snapcasters playable in a deck:

4 STP
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Path to Exile/Lightning Bolt
    3 Spell Snare
    2 Spell Pierce/Counterspell/Ponder
    3 Daze (Actually decent with Snapcaster, Flashing back a forcespike isn't all that bad)

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I thought I had the most pessimistic outlook on Snapcaster Mage.

I'm predicting somewhere around 6-10 copies in the Top 8, going downhill from there in later tournaments.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Snapcaster dominated the Standard Open BTW
    Are you referring to SCG Indy? I see 10 copies in the Top 8, which I consider a solid showing but far from dominating. Granted, I can't see the rest of the Top 32 decklists since it looks like the SCG site just died before I could open the remaining 24 lists. Were SCMs very pervasive there?

Edit: 10 copies in the Top 8, 12 in the Top 16, but a whopping 36 copies in #18-32 (Decklist for 17th place not shown), giving a total of 48 copies in the Top 32 (or rather, 31 of top 32). Really curious that the Snapcaster Mage decks seemed to "die" in the higher tables though, but I wouldn't really know or care about why Standard decks are the way they are.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I think there will be more than there should be, since people are going to be flavor of the monthing them into decks they shouldn't go in. I see 1 or maybe 2 archtypes tops that can actually use him well. Spending 3+ mana should almost win you games already and merely getting a 2/1 body isn't going to be as great as everyone is making it out to be.

The hype will die down and he'll be a solid but not broken card.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    I think there will be more than there should be, since people are going to be flavor of the monthing them into decks they shouldn't go in. I see 1 or maybe 2 archtypes tops that can actually use him well. Spending 3+ mana should almost win you games already and merely getting a 2/1 body isn't going to be as great as everyone is making it out to be.

The hype will die down and he'll be a solid but not broken card.
    I believe he'll revamp high tide combo, but also I've personally tested him in aggressive decks that ran blue for things like FOW and Daze + Stifle, without much room for card drawing outside of brainstorm, and he's an absolute bomb. He becomes far, far more useful as the game goes on (obviously). Flashing back swords I burnt early game, even at one point flashing back a bolt to the dome for the win, the card is absurdly useful--just...not that great in the opening hand.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Rather than Snapback Mage, I'll ask you to guess the number of Delver of Secrets in a few weeks, or a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

SteelinSumOfUrTechKThxBai
    Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    Rather than Snapback Mage, I'll ask you to guess the number of Delver of Secrets in a few weeks, or a month.
    x = 0.

My bad if I'm wrong, but a conditinal 3/2 with a minor drawback (revealing cards to your opponent) just doesn't seem to cut it for me, especially when he/she/it is so bad on defense.

I could see ~2 SCM in a few control decks some time in the future. Perhaps even 3, but I doubt 4, because fitting them + other good creatures (SFM, Bob, Goyf) + Jaces + Instants/Sorceries into the same deck is somewhat difficult. But I could see a deck with him beeing good and thus making T8.
    I cannot say anything about SpiralTide though.
    "Blue-Eyes White Dragon is a fatty that Jamie Wakefield seems to have overlooked. It has a tremendous power and toughness of 3000/2500, making it bigger than current threats such as Tarmogoyf or Mountain."

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix View Post
    x = 0.

My bad if I'm wrong, but a conditinal 3/2 with a minor drawback (revealing cards to your opponent) just doesn't seem to cut it for me, especially when he/she/it is so bad on defense.

I could see ~2 SCM in a few control decks some time in the future. Perhaps even 3, but I doubt 4, because fitting them + other good creatures (SFM, Bob, Goyf) + Jaces + Instants/Sorceries into the same deck is somewhat difficult. But I could see a deck with him beeing good and thus making T8.
    If you word it like that, even Nacatly can look terrible. The card is comparable to Nacatl and has evasion, a pretty much important point since it evade basically every played legacy creature. And imho it's the better card, evasion is just so important for an aggro creature nowadays.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

I played Delver this weekend, and a friend played it as well. Granted that Delver is narrowly played in Tempo decks (i.e. decks with 8-12 creatures and everything else is instant/disruption/permission), this card has definitely felt incredibly powerful. The one-drop and easy transform trigger (fueled easily by a cantrip) makes this card stand right on par with Wild Nacatl in terms of aggression (in fact it's better because it flies).

Yesterday I played this card and ran into many situations where I debated if it's worth protecting it against a removal and it paid off. He usually brings in 9-12 damage all by himself when dropped early.

I love Snapcasters, but personally I think Snapcaster is a 2-of in some control/mid-game lists, or a 4-off in certain High Tide decks. Delver is in the Tempo shell, and I think Delver himself impacts the format more than Snapcaster since Snapcaster isn't really shaping any archetype with the exception of Solidarity to being a significant improvement.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

x = 0.

Delver of Secrets is a house. It's a Nacatl that you can play in mono-Blue, that Wasteland can never randomly dick, that pitches to Force, that flies. Holy shit.

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Delver of Secrets is a house. It's a Nacatl that you can play in mono-Blue, that Wasteland can never randomly dick, that pitches to Force, that flies. Holy shit.
    QFMFT. Every time I've opened it in a limited pool, I've been glad to see it and won games with it--in a limited format that's pretty permanent-heavy. I'm already slotting it into a number of constructed decks and planning on testing it/picking up German foils.

It's already been spoken of in the Team America thread, and I can see somebody rocking it in Blue Zoo (a la Kurtis Droge at GP Chicago).

Granted, I don't think it'll be format-breaking, but this is the kind of skill-testing card I was referring to in whichever "ban Misstep" thread it was that I posted it in.

Regarding Snapcaster; I don't think it'll bend decks around itself so much as it'll encourage people to specialize their lists (kind of the way Team America and Maverick have been going, for instance, with a million singletons/two-ofs), knowing that they can re-use their narrow cards. I can't see people doing exactly the same things, but I'm reminded of the Napster deck that Jon Finkel won US Nationals 2000 with.
    Last edited by coraz86; 10-02-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: d'oh
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    Man, why won't the Rock just go away? It doesn't even have any friends.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.

Sep 2010
    Chapel Hill, NC

Starting to look like a better question might be "how many Infernal Tutors will make the top 8?"

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Delver is ridiculously strong in Tempo Thresh. With the amount of blue-based aggro-control in this format, it will definitely see play and do well.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

x = 0.

We'll see. Prepare to crack your fetchlands carefully, meanwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Snapcaster bug is making waves. If Gerry Thompson and aj satcher are playing it, must be pretty good. How did we miss the snapcaster/unearth interaction again? It's pretty strong. The only thing I disagree with in those lists are the edict effects. Snapcaster makes edicts bad IMO. I'd rather have a 2/2 dismember ghastly demise split. Interesting that snappy is played over dark confidants and tombstalkers and as a 4 of as well. Wow.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

4 Snapcaster in 1 deck in Top 8. 11 Snapcaster in 3 decks in Top 16.

All 3 decks running them were Team America-like: 1 classic TA with 3 Snapcaster alongside Goyf and Tombstalker, and 2 of Gerry Thompson's BUG control list that runs Snapcaster in place of both Confidant and Tombstalker.

Thread Information