Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Number of Snapcaster Mages in Top 8 at SC Indy

Re: Number of Snapcaster Mages in Top 8 at SC Indy

Seems to me that only people that are pushing it are coming from the Gerry T crew - or that everyone else who tried it failed.

Main problem with Snapcaster mage is that it's mana hungry and makes opponents daze's and wasteland's so much better. Not to mention that 2/1 body is most of the time irrelevant in Legacy without any kind of evasion.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I think Snapcaster Mage has a ton of merit in UB/x decks, particularly for the reuse on removal and discard. It's a strict upgrade to Esper and Patrior stoneblade lists as well. I'm inclined to think that the lack of Snapcaster Mages at this tournament was only apparent at the top tables where Reanimator and Storm were roflstomping everything left and right. The top 16 even has Belcher, which shows you the penetration of Combo at this event.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I think these guys are banking on snapcaster too much. Sure the card is good, but they are warping their decks way too much to accommodate it. The card slots in perfectly into any blue deck but they are playing waaay too many copies. They need instant action cards such as spell pierce and spell snare. Even the merfolk list is extremely anti aggro oriented with just force and daze as counters.

People have to stop forcing snapcaster as a 4 off. He works best as a 2/3 off because he is so mana intensive. Replace a few copies of snapcaster with a few conditional counters and those decks should fare better against combo.

Also surgical extraction is so boss against snapcaster and alongside snapcaster. That's my pick for the card to watch. Especially with misstep gone and reanimator on the rise, the card needs to be in everyboard. The fact that surgical extraction screws with intuition (lol) and other combos (past in flame/Iggy) is also icing.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Snapcaster may be overhyped at the moment, but the synergy between it and Unearth (a card I love) is pretty goddamned awesome.

Meat Slicer at Deli

Mar 2004
    Ypsi, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Snapcaster may be overhyped at the moment
    For Legacy I agree.

BTW - final numbers for those who haven't looked. 4 Snapcaster Mage in the top 8 and 3 more in the top 16. Made for 7 total. I guessed pretty good. :D

On a more interesting note, there's a belcher deck that made top 16. How does everyone feel about that? Link to List
    Whenever I see a kid in a wheelchair it makes me a little sad. Because I always think, "Gee, they could have used those same wheels to make a bike for a regular kid. What a waste."

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Belcher is pretty random, also I prefer the list with 12 cantrips
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Thread Information