Thread: What Happened to The Daily events for Legacy

What Happened to The Daily events for Legacy

it's been a few weeks and i have noticed no posting for the decks of the week on Dailymtg.com.
    Since I'm not a Mtgonline player i have been assuming that the events are just not fireing. is this due to the new standard metagame and just a natural cycle of mtgo?
    Do i have to worry about the health of legacy as a format?

Re: What Happened to The Daily events for Legacy

Most of the people will say something along the line of "B&R list update was lagging online, people were bored of Mental Misstep, and it's release time so everyone is drafting Innistrad instead of playing Legacy".

That is IMO not completely what is going on. For example Classic is still firing events, even though it's "less popular format".
    What is really hurting Legacy online is speculation that can be more rampant than offline. I remember observing card prices something like 10 months ago. Wastelands, Duals were aprox 2 or 3 times less the price they are currently. In the meantime number of players playing Legacy not only that didn't go up, but went down and events stopped firing... Why haven't the prices of cards come down? Hoarding and speculation at it's finest.

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

I think more than anything it had to do with the Banned/Restricted list update lagging online, as well as the release of Innistrad lagging behind online. Why would anyone want to play a format that's a month old and essentially useless? They don't in general. I expect the Legacy dailys to start firing about once a day pretty soon.
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

Modern and Misstep were good explanations for a while, but I have no clue why it isn't picking up. I sure hope it will be active soon again.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Constructed events typically don't fire well during Release weeks. New cards are too expensive to pick up during the first few days, and it takes a couple of weeks for everyone to buy the cards they need. We're still in week 2 of Innistrad release events.

I'm hoping they start firing soon however. I'm getting rather bored of playing against bad Burn decks in the TP.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

There's several reasons (and I have an article in the works about it)

Basically:

Mental Misstep really hurt the format. I played Decree of Justice online, and lost to an Eternal Dragon. Other players were playing Faerie Conclave...

Modern was drawing players as well.

Card availability is somewhat of an issue; there *aren't* LEDs for sale right now.

Many other players have sold off cards. MagicTraders has 20+ of most staples in stock right now though.
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Sep 2006
    CZE

I bought into Legacy this summer (all duals, fetches, 3 decks). Daily events were firing regularly and I didnt play because of not having time for that. Now I finaly can spare those 4 hours and I have been the only one waiting for the Legacy to start this morning :) Come on people, join me! :)
    Im from Czech Republic, so be patient with my english!

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

How can you spend so much money on online-Legacy...Ill never get it...

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp802 View Post
    How can you spend so much money on online-Legacy...Ill never get it...

In some areas like mine it is the only way to play anymore. The prices skyrocketing made a lot of people sell off while it was high I know I did with a lot of my extra legacy stuff I was afraid of a crash and figured I may as well sale while it was up.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

I bet if a playset of Forces wan't half a grand people would be more inclined to play legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    On a more constructive note: Anything can be funny, even if it is about rape.
    TIME POLICE

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
    I bet if a playset of Forces wan't half a grand people would be more inclined to play legacy
    Sample Legacy playables-

Paper (based upon lowest TCGplayer)
    Force of Will $54 (heavy played)
    Underground Sea $95 (heavy played)
    Tundra $82 (heavy played)
    Flooded Strand $25 (heavy played)

$256 total

MTGO (based upon Supernova)
    Force of Will 102
    Underground Sea 29
    Tundra 21
    Flooded Strand 7

159 tix total

Based upon this sample, MTGO is 38% cheaper than Paper.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Not really a fair comparison. Let's say I need Pernicious Deeds for my BUG Landstill and things get out of whack in the other direction. It's all relative considering the odd releases of sets in the order they came out.

Paper is typically more expensive, but some things online are worse.

Personally, I like paper, but only because I like the interaction of people more. I totally understand the need to have someone to play in the first place though. To some people it's the only outlet.

Also, EDH is awesome online. I really like how you only need one copy of anything to go in ten EDH decks. That's a huger bonus over paper versions.

Eh got off on a tangent a little.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    Not really a fair comparison. Let's say I need Pernicious Deeds for my BUG Landstill and things get out of whack in the other direction. It's all relative considering the odd releases of sets in the order they came out.

Paper is typically more expensive, but some things online are worse.

Personally, I like paper, but only because I like the interaction of people more. I totally understand the need to have someone to play in the first place though. To some people it's the only outlet.

Also, EDH is awesome online. I really like how you only need one copy of anything to go in ten EDH decks. That's a huger bonus over paper versions.

Eh got off on a tangent a little.
    Yes, it's true that some cards* are more expensive online than paper. But the majority of the cards you would need for your deck such as dual lands and fetchlands (easily 33% of your deck) are cheaper. I just think it's foolish to claim that "Force of Will is infy!!!11" when it's only a support card (ie, 4 out of 60). The main cast is the mana base which is fractions cheaper online.

*Pernicious Deed, Vindicate, Force of Will, LED
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Sep 2006
    CZE

This is one of the things that are connected with Magic - how can you spend so much money on a piece of cardboard/virtual stuff... People have money, they spend it on stuff they need (food, transportation, house, ..) and things they want. I have two hobies, gym and Magic. For me to spend 1500USD (bought in May/June, all duals and fetches cost just 745,5) on Magic once is not such a problem because I can play with these cards for a long time (already sold Goyfs and earned 30USD on each). A friend of mine spends 2000USD every single year on a new bike, other friend buys new wheels for his new cars, other has a new cellphone every few months, ... So the main thought is when you like something, do it, life is too short.
    Im from Czech Republic, so be patient with my english!

Dec 2009
    Germany

While I have to admit that it is true that playing online is a bit cheaper than in RL I still think it is a lot too expensive.
    I don't judge on anyone who is playing online but for me personally the prices are much too high for what I get.

-I get no real cards
    -I cannot play with my friends at tournaments or at the kitchen table (I could play tournaments with them but would miss all the great talk between the rounds)
    -Online trading just not feels half as good as trading in RL (just clicking through lists no talk, mostly dealing with bots)
    -Online I have the feeling that the people tend to be a lot more unfriendly. I can live with that but it definitely makes the experience less fun.

In addition I always have the feeling of being ripped off because of the prices being so near to the paper ones. Maybe I am completely wrong because I am no expert on this: But I cannot see the costs for running MTGO justifiy the prices Wizards demands from us (I am speaking of Booster prices here). That feeling alone is keeping me out of MTGO for most of the time.

While I can understand people playing MTGO for several reasons I still think that there are a lot of people not playing it for similar reasons than the ones listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Sample Legacy playables-

Paper (based upon lowest TCGplayer)
    Force of Will $54 (heavy played)
    Underground Sea $95 (heavy played)
    Tundra $82 (heavy played)
    Flooded Strand $25 (heavy played)

$256 total

MTGO (based upon Supernova)
    Force of Will 102
    Underground Sea 29
    Tundra 21
    Flooded Strand 7

159 tix total

Based upon this sample, MTGO is 38% cheaper than Paper.
    Trust me, I'm aware; I play Legacy online; or at least used to. The thing is that even though mana bases cost less online, Force if so much more expensive than everything else that people just don't play blue decks. There's a *TON* of stupid combo decks like Elves! and a bunch of crappy homebrews that people are always running just because people don't play FoW decks because they don't want to shell out $$$ for their set of forces. I always hated how the online meta was warped by the cost of Force, and it was one of the reasons why I quit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    On a more constructive note: Anything can be funny, even if it is about rape.
    TIME POLICE

Thread Information