Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Tom LaPille - he's at it again

Re: Tom LaPille - he's at it again

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Do any of you actually play vintage, or are you just talking right out your ass like most people on this forum do about the format?

As a vintage player, it appears to be the latter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    On a more constructive note: Anything can be funny, even if it is about rape.
    TIME POLICE

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Do any of you actually play vintage, or are you just talking right out your ass like most people on this forum do about the format?

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/met...&fecha=2011-10

Look at the previous months. Mud, mud and mud! Once or twice something else got closer, but mostly that lovely shit color mud.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/met...&fecha=2011-10

Look at the previous months. Mud, mud and mud! Once or twice something else got closer, but mostly that lovely shit color mud.
    This also lists Drain Tendrils and Painter as major decks. I'm surprised Meandeck Gifts and Cerebral Assasin aren't on their either...lol
    TIME POLICE

Dec 2006
    Spain

This is the October meta. Only 16 Tops.
    You must see the September meta to get a better look of the format. But yes, MUD is Tier1.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I think the more relevant issue - or at least the one I was hoping to impart - is that in Vintage, when you're building a deck, if it isn't "as fully Powered as is logical", you're doing it weird. While the power of the format as a whole is (arbitrarily) much higher than Legacy, the potential for that power to expressed as a function of non-overlapping decklists is much smaller.

Why do you think people piss and moan so much about cards like Force and Tarmogoyf? The closer this format comes to each color having singularities in their cardpool, the closer we get to homogenized decklists that don't have nearly the kind of variance that they do today.

Lightning edit - no, I don't want FoW or Goyf banned :P it's just an example!
    Last edited by TsumiBand; 10-11-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: derf

Vulvaapje!
    Jun 2007
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    Really?!?!
    Yeah, I feel no difference in complexity when I play standard or legacy. I still have a hard time making the right plays in both formats. Its not that I feel more lost in legacy when faced with a tough decision than in standard or the other way around. It could have something to do with my magic skills, I'd be lying if I said I'm a very good player', maybe its just a matter of having a certain 'skill level' I cant see beyond so it feels the same to me.
    Quit playing Legacy but could still play Goblins (Rgw, Rg, Rw, Rb)

ジェームス・ブラウン

I'm staring in the mirror looking at my biggest rival.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

To me Standard is like a demo-version of Magic lol. Its sooo bad
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    To me Standard is like a demo-version of Magic lol. Its sooo bad
    My favorite description of standard:

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Hurf Durf: the Derpening
    I lol'd for a while when I read about some player (don't remember who) saying that Standard Caw-Blade was the most intricate and difficult deck he had ever played. Some people just need some STORM in their diet, I guess.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Nelis View Post
    Yeah, I feel no difference in complexity when I play standard or legacy. I still have a hard time making the right plays in both formats. Its not that I feel more lost in legacy when faced with a tough decision than in standard or the other way around. It could have something to do with my magic skills, I'd be lying if I said I'm a very good player', maybe its just a matter of having a certain 'skill level' I cant see beyond so it feels the same to me.
    I partially agree with this. However, a format as deep as Legacy has better opportunities to tailor a deck towards a particular play-style moreso than Standard. This is the primary difference why many think that Standard is boring.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

I actually took a dive into Standard this past weekend, and it was a pretty deep and complex format. Sure, there are a lot of dumb red decks that are anathema to complexity, but playing Pod opened up so many different lines of play that it felt quite similar to playing a Legacy deck. In particular, the current Standard environment is extremely unforgiving of play errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    I lol'd for a while when I read about some player (don't remember who) saying that Standard Caw-Blade was the most intricate and difficult deck he had ever played. Some people just need some STORM in their diet, I guess.
    Storm decks like TES and High Tide are easily the most complex decks in magc. It's pretty easy to screw up a play and auto-lose from making one mistake.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Storm decks like TES and High Tide is easily the most complex decks in magc. It's pretty easy to screw up a play and auto-lose from making one mistake.
    Trust me, I know :P. I punted two matches at my local with High Tide this weekend by making plays that weren't obviously play mistakes, but only became really apparent in hindsight.
    Lord of the Chalice

Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Trust me, I know :P. I punted two matches at my local with High Tide this weekend by making plays that weren't obviously play mistakes, but only became really apparent in hindsight.
    - I have a friend that plays his Storm deck (which is trys to use to beat my CounterBlade deck with, lmao) and it's amazing watching him do all of the hoops that need to be done for playing storm. Should I keep this hand and draw into what I need? Can I go off regardless of FoW? Do I have enough mana? What card do I get with Burning Wish?

As a expert on one and a reasonable source on the other, the difficultly level of both was fairly high. In fact, the Caw mirror pre-NPH is on the same level as Storm vs. Landstill in terms of skill, if not harder because you often didn't have a definite game plan to execute. Every so often you have the pre-Rise Jund mirror where it literally was count the cascade spells, highest count is 90% to win, but is Belcher vs. Zoo any better?

Legacy will tend on the skill intensive side because of Brainstorm and Force of Will lowering mana and card restraints in lines of play, but that doesn't mean that every Standard matchup is two monkeys flinging feces. Playing aggressive decks in Standard is significantly harder than in Legacy as you often have to play suboptimal cards against decks with stronger sources of absolute CA then can be played in Legacy, making value leverage much more important than "I'm going to get you to 7 then Bolt Fireblast you, K?"
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Until I can play storm perfectly, I have not played it enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kibler
    Funny enough I was 18 once too. It was sweet, but being me now is way sweeter.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post

Legacy will tend on the skill intensive side because of Brainstorm and Force of Will lowering mana and card restraints in lines of play, but that doesn't mean that every Standard matchup is two monkeys flinging feces. Playing aggressive decks in Standard is significantly harder than in Legacy as you often have to play suboptimal cards against decks with stronger sources of absolute CA then can be played in Legacy, making value leverage much more important than "I'm going to get you to 7 then Bolt Fireblast you, K?"
    Agreed on this part. I did play a considerable amount of standard a couple seasons ago - and while the decks obviously take some playskill, I've found Legacy tends to be more complex and skill-testing in most cases. That doesn't mean I haven't had some interesting decisions to make in standard, even playing such "dumb" decks as mono-red.
    Lord of the Chalice

I'm pretty sure that Storm trying to beat Countertop is the most skill intensive matchup ever. (for the storm player, obviously). Not only is it technically a nightmare, but you also have to factor in all the psycological aspects...Man, I really miss grinding Ad Naus against CounterBant...
    TIME POLICE

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Right, because clearly the way to deal with the complexity issue is to spin Magic off into two games, "Hurf Durf: the Derpening," and "Right and Proper Gentleman's Olde Game of Magicks," where there are no creatures and all the cards are blue, have flash, and have, "As an additional cost to play this spell, draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library in any order."
    How the hell did I miss this? Am I the only person that isn't ashamed to admit that I'd probably play "Hurf Durf: the Derpening"?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Storm trying to beat Countertop is the most skill intensive matchup ever. (for the storm player, obviously). Not only is it technically a nightmare, but you also have to factor in all the psycological aspects...Man, I really miss grinding Ad Naus against CounterBant...
    - Don't worry, CBT still sees play.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

From AriLax

Playing aggressive decks in Standard is significantly harder than in Legacy as you often have to play suboptimal cards against decks with stronger sources of absolute CA then can be played in Legacy, making value leverage much more important than "I'm going to get you to 7 then Bolt Fireblast you, K?"
    I can't be the only person that thinks this is a smart line. The only minor variance I would have would be that it doesn't matter what format you are playing, sometimes suboptimal cards are a necessity in order to leverage value. Look at Unearth and what it's doing with Snapcaster Mage. Unearth is nothing special, pretty horrible actually compared to the other reanimation spells. But it gains whole different dimension of value given Snapcaster Mage.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information