Thread: Storm Still Viable?

The one and only Incurable Ham
    Apr 2010
    Columbus, OH

Storm Still Viable?

Obviously we lost Rite of Flame, Ponder and Preordain, but is there a chance that a (relatively) good storm deck can still be created? We still have these cards:

Past in Flames
    Plunge into Darkness
    Infernal Plunge
    Desperate Ritual
    Pyretic Ritual
    Seething Song
    Serum Visions
    Sleight of Hand
    Telling Time
    Peer Through Depths
    Gitaxian Probe
    Grapeshot
    Ignite Memories
    Empty the Warrens
    Time Reversal
    Wild Cantor
    Lotus Bloom
    Gilded Lotus
    Simian Spirit Guide

It will definitely be slower and less consistent. Is there any way to make Past in Flames work, or are there not enough good rituals left? Is there a way to use Infernal Plunge? Are there just not enough good cantrips left?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Storm Still Viable?

Don't forget Manamorphose, and yes, I think it can still be done.

Check out Mystic Speculation and Halimar Depths. While they don't cantrip, they can help you plan your game out, and along with a handful of fetches can help you draw into your needed gas. Deprive combos nicely with Halimar Depths as protection + filtering. I've been using it well in my BUG list.

Forbidden Alchemy is pretty hot tech for Pyromancer Ascension, but that isn't really storm...
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Dragonstorm just top 8'ed today in a local 25-men tournament, so I'd guess that yes: storm is viable. It packed seething song and the other legal red ritual, lotus bloom, manamorphose, gitaxian probe to set up dragonstorm for 3 hellkites and it had a splinter twin/exarch combo it could pull as well in case the first one didn't work.
    \"Is it just me or are magic players a very very special breed. Who else would try and determine the viability of a fold by what kind of ink was used? Or maybe its the people squinting at tiny illegible print or the people reviewing pages upon pages of this. We should all be detectives or something, because we are an amazing bunch here.\" - Beefybot at mtgnews.com

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian View Post
    Dragonstorm just top 8'ed today in a local 25-men tournament, so I'd guess that yes: storm is viable. It packed seething song and the other legal red ritual, lotus bloom, manamorphose, gitaxian probe to set up dragonstorm for 3 hellkites and it had a splinter twin/exarch combo it could pull as well in case the first one didn't work.
    Sounds... Bad
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

I'm not really fond of the conversion sideboard for a combo deck in modern after losing the good cantrips. However, I do believe that even with Slight of Hand, Serum Visions, and perhaps telling time or speculation that you might be able to create some kind of U/R storm deck. It's just going to be much slower and will have to play more of a combo-control role as opposed to just being balls to the wall combo.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Thread Information