Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does one beat aggro-control with storm?

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Re: How does one beat aggro-control with storm?

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Damn I love reading storm players saying it is a simple matter to beat Merfolk.
    Heh, I doubt anyone thinks it's simple, but it's a sure easier than a lot of decks. It really just comes down to who's hand had more gas in it as usual. I'd gladly play against merfolk than a BUG deck any day. The worst Merfolk has to offer is Cursecatchers, Daze, and Force for the most part and have 3 land open and starting off with a ritual cancels out the Dazes and Cursecatcher right off the bat usually. If you have a Carpet, you don't even need much at all.

And this is why I try to play Counterbalance decks. You underestimate storm and it'll kick your ass.

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

With High Tide, I often find that you can pick your battles against people by casting Turnabout on their lands EOT. They still have their FOWs, but bigger shenanigans get cut off, and they cannot ride your High Tides and Spirals on your turn.

How about free spells like traps, surgical extraction with Force of Will?
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

I prefer playing against Merfolk simply because it doesn't have Brainstorm, Hymm, Seize, Counterbalance, Snapcaster.

I call Merfolk the 1-of deck. If it gets one of each card it'll just own you, but if they draw too many creatures or just counterspells they just lose... and there's nothing they can do about it.

Against merfolk and tempo in general I resolve carpet of flowers or they have to burn a fow on it. Against merfolk, I resolve a xantid swarm postboard and they only have cursecatcher to interact unless they are running dismember.

Against TA with vendilion cliques...I haven't run into that MU but it seems abyssmal at first but the thing about storm is that it can do very unfair things, which is why it almost always has a chance in a given MU because they can just count to 9 and tendrils you. And carpet of flowers in tempo MUs is king, same as sensei's divining top resolving (trust me, you rarely want a sensei's top to resolve unless they have a duplicate in hand because top is a really solid card for playing the long game against aggro control).

But mostly I just sling my duresses and chants when they can't be soft countered i.e. they can't get dazed or spell pierced for a 1 for 1 trade.

Chant is also king in MUs where the opponent runs conditional counters in the form of red/blue blast, spell snare, and stifle. They literally have to FoW it pretty much every time unless they can double daze it or something.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

The matchup is actually heavily in Storm's favor. Even in the world of Misstep Storm was a favorite. The only time I ever had an unfavorable set was vs. Bertoncini, who always seemed to kill me on four with double Force while I repeatedly bricked on cantrips.

The trick against Fish, Bant, etc is just learning to A) not get Wastelanded and B) not let your Duresses get Dazed. From there it is fairly easy to assemble a high mana hand and go Tutor chain to Tendrils or just IGG if they don't have Force.

Against Junk, you have to manage your cantrips. Learn to hide things not just with Brainstorm, but also with Ponder/Preordain. Hand size is also a concern, so don't Duress too much otherwise you are stuck having to Ad Naus often. I often go down to 5 Duresses post-board, leaving Seize as an answer to hate bears. I don't think I've ever lost this matchup.

Team America is pretty bad, but only the traditional Hymn, Stifle builds. The lists with less "hard" counters are fairly easy to power through, even with Vendilion (again, manage cantrips well). The Hymn Stifle builds you mainly have to capitalize on their low threat density to sneak in an early Ad Naus from a high life total. Post-board Bob helps a ton as it lets you actively Duress them without ending up hellbent.
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Until I can play storm perfectly, I have not played it enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kibler
    Funny enough I was 18 once too. It was sweet, but being me now is way sweeter.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

But isnt Zoo fast enough to beat Aluren and HighTide?

Aluren has a more/less infinite supply of chump blockers which makes it very hard to get in actual damage against them as an aggro deck (e.g. Zoo).
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp802 View Post
    But isnt Zoo fast enough to beat Aluren and HighTide?
    Zoo's nut-draw is about as fast as High Tide, yes. I would say High Tide kills on turn 3 with greater consistency than any Zoo build, however. Also, a random Force of Will on a one or two-drop can slow Zoo down a lot.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010
    Isla de luzón de filipinas

After drawing my 1st seven cards, and knowing that my opponent is an aggro-control one, i will go off immediately without any protections.
    But if its merfolk, I'd like to see a xantid hit my table. or an early duress or chant.
    If its against junk, pray hard to lourd combo that he wont have a swamp + ritual + dures + hymn opening.
    If its GW mavs (canonnist, teeg et al), pyroclasm from my SB ^_^
    TJB

http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

as a belcher pilot traditional team america is what my nightmares are made of. Against ta as belcher preboard go off as soon as possible, i recommend going the warrens route if possible though belching can work but is less resistant to counters. The same with fish. Gitaxian probe is an allstar in both matchups. Many players will burn a counterspell on it to keep their hand hidden and you can actively go off around it. Postboard pyroblast and xantid swarm are powerhouses that generally win the game if drawn. As a belcher pilot on the draw always figure enough mana to pay for daze.

Thread Information