Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 20 cards sideboard, not a bad idea?

Re: 20 cards sideboard, not a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Grollub View Post
    If it's not proportional to the size of the metagame - which I agree with, and find a good thing, you have to prepare against what you expect, no?
    No, because the amount of decks you expect exceeds the amount you can prepare for. It's pretty obvious if you don't read that sentence out of context.

Unexpected decks = no problem.
    Expected decks that can't be prepared for just because there are more than 10 strategies to prepare for is potentially a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessaja View Post
    No, because the amount of decks you expect exceeds the amount you can prepare for. It's pretty obvious if you don't read that sentence out of context.

Unexpected decks = no problem.
    Expected decks that can't be prepared for just because there are more than 10 strategies to prepare for is potentially a problem.
    But wouldn't that just be a calculated risk assessment? You're preparing for what you believe to be the most likely matches.

I think I can follow your argument and understand your point, thank you for your patience, tho I respectfully disagree that this in fact is a problem. Our disagreement appears to be based on what you consider getting an unlucky match up (an exogenous variable) I consider getting burned on a judgement call (an endogenous variable).

I agree that this is calculated risk assessment. But then you get at the point where eventually, there are several matchups that you could prepare for and they're all more or less equivalent in terms of metagame pressence.

Like in the example with 8 decks that each cover 10% of the metagame and two decks that cover 9%. Your sideboard prepares you for 8 decks, which of the 10 decks do you choose to prepare for? You pick 8 decks and you hope you'll face those decks in the tournament, statistics tell you it's more likely to meet one of those 8 matchups over the 2 matchups you chose to let go, but that doesn't hold up when it's round 1 and you're facing one of those two matchups.

I don't call that endogenous because in principle, you didn't make a wrong metacall. You had to make a choice based on chance and you made the right call based on those statistics. So you lost against statistics, not neccesarily against skill.

Note that preparing, in this example, is not getting a 90% or better matchup against those decks. With preparing I mean having a decent chance bringing the matchup to a 50% matchup and let skill (and some luck) decide.

But that's under the assumption that the metagame's decks frequency is distributed uniformly, which I find a rather courageous assumption - I haven't checked the latest coverages of the large tournaments, so please correct me if I'm wrong here.

If the metagame in fact is a uniform smattering of decks, I would agree that luck* can be a very deciding factor -- in which case I'd rather see dredge banned to free up sideboard slots than adding more. ;-)

* but considering we're playing a game with a randomized deck against another randomized deck, luck will always be a factor and is in my opinion one of the charms in regards to watching and playing MtG; watching a game in the finals getting shifted around due to an insane (perhaps series of) topdecks.

Well it's mostly under the assumption that I'm lazy and just made a simple model to illustrate my problem to bring the point across.

Even when decks are 3/4/5% you want to prepare for the decks that are the most common and then eventually, you need to make a choice and this choice can work out or not. Even when you made the correct choice in terms of metagame pressence, you can still very likely lose. Sure this is still the case with a 20 card sideboard but a little less so.

I agree that luck is a core part of the game, I just want the pendulum to swing a little away from the luck side because, in my opinion, the sheer size of the legacy metagame made the pendulum swing a bit towards the luck side.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Nessaja View Post
    Well it's mostly under the assumption that I'm lazy and just made a simple model to illustrate my problem to bring the point across.

Even when decks are 3/4/5% you want to prepare for the decks that are the most common and then eventually, you need to make a choice and this choice can work out or not. Even when you made the correct choice in terms of metagame pressence, you can still very likely lose. Sure this is still the case with a 20 card sideboard but a little less so.

I agree that luck is a core part of the game, I just want the pendulum to swing a little away from the luck side because, in my opinion, the sheer size of the legacy metagame made the pendulum swing a bit towards the luck side.
    If this was true we wouldn't see the same people consistently top 8/16ing most of the Legacy events they enter.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    If this was true we wouldn't see the same people consistently top 8/16ing most of the Legacy events they enter.
    You see this at small events because there's a very tight expected meta and because there is such a discrepancy in skill levels between players. At higher level events, you still see it, but not as much (yeah, pretty much every major event has 1-4 "names" in the T8, but there are dozens of "name" players out there) and there, a lot of it can be attributed to byes. Say it's round 8 of a 9 round SCG Open. I'm 6-2, on the bubble and I'm playing Gerry Thompson. Gerry is actually 3-2 but he's got 3 byes, so we're in the same bracket. Basically, it means that in a 9 round Legacy, I need to win 78% of my matches while Gerry has to win 67%. 8 rounds, I need 75%, he needs 60%. 15% can account for a lot of variance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    You see this at small events because there's a very tight expected meta and because there is such a discrepancy in skill levels between players. At higher level events, you still see it, but not as much (yeah, pretty much every major event has 1-4 "names" in the T8, but there are dozens of "name" players out there) and there, a lot of it can be attributed to byes. Say it's round 8 of a 9 round SCG Open. I'm 6-2, on the bubble and I'm playing Gerry Thompson. Gerry is actually 3-2 but he's got 3 byes, so we're in the same bracket. Basically, it means that in a 9 round Legacy, I need to win 78% of my matches while Gerry has to win 67%. 8 rounds, I need 75%, he needs 60%. 15% can account for a lot of variance.
    I top 8 at small (20-25 person) tournaments regularly, these tournaments have a completely random meta mainly due to most of the players having access to multiple decks. There is a skill discrepancy but after 2-3 rounds or so that completely disappears as all the bad players are x-1/ 0-2 and the good players are in the top bracket.
    I disagree that it has so much to do with byes at larger events. I somehow doubt that all large events reward name players with byes and that that is why those players regularly make top 8 solely because of said byes.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    Note that the pros also generally dodge all the random decks that people are complaining about in this thread, as those decks have generally entered the loser's bracket by the time round 4 rolls around. Thus they only have to sideboard for the decks to beat and rarely get screwed by random pairings. I honestly think the bye system is flawed for this reason as it gives a huge advantage to certain players in 1-day large events like the SCG opens.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

I'm a fan of the idea of making sideboards a fixed percentage of the maindeck size (rounded down, say). A 60-card maindeck gets 15 sideboard cards, so an 80-card deck could have a sideboard of 20 cards. (Perhaps the factor of a quarter could be changed to some other fraction.)
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Thread Information