Thread: Eternal Europe: The Ultimate Legacy Compendium

Eternal Europe: The Ultimate Legacy Compendium

Hi guys, next article is out. Want to know what's around in the format? Check this out:

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...ompendium.html
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Re: Eternal Europe: The Ultimate Legacy Compendium

That's a ton of lists. I think I'm in heaven.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Why is your article free while Drew Levin's personal gloating of his Legacy life is premium?

Can't read through all this at work, and only care about 1/3 of the decks you listed, but great work and I appreciate all the work put towards this. This is a gem for people wanting to see the viable decks currently available.

I'm real happy you mentioned Dreadstalker! So happy! :3 We are 2 cards off! (you swapped the Snuff Outs for Dismember which I haven't gotten to testing yet). You did forget to mention the 2nd most important function of Vision Charm: it protects Dreadnought. It's primary function is to act as Stifle, secondary function is that it protects Nought from removal (Charm it in response to removal, imagine setting up Dreadstifle turn 3 with a blue mana open for Vision Charm protecting it, on top of Thoughtseize/Daze/FoW etc), and last function is getting a fast Tombstalker when your first one died. The phantasmal terrain ability is also not worthless, and the milling occasionaly screws over Lim-Dul's Vault, Doomsday, ETutor. The card is pretty bonkers when considering it's a crappy card when taken in context outside of Dreadstalker :P

Will post more later when I have time reading through this. Thanks!
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Awesome list of decks. The only things I can think of that you didn't mention are rare fringe decks like Mono Green Chalice Aggro, U/B Planeswalker Stax, Angel Stompy, etc. I guess the new Past In Flames - based storm decks as well, but I'm not sure they count as sufficiently proven to be included. I was impressed that you included stuff like SI, Faerie Stompy, and Dreadstalker though.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Great article, thanks! It's fantastic to have so many (updated) decklists in one place.

One day, someone other than me will pilot UGB River Rock. Perhaps then it will make it on such a list! Hey, a guy can dream.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Nicely done, I really appreciate the effort and outcome. I echo another poster's sentiment about quality work like this being 'free' while other fluff articles are 'premium'.

A possible suggestion for a future article: Perhaps redo the "Complete Legacy Checklist". Menendian did these while he was still on the SCG writing staff, and still does them for Vintage, but I think an updated one for Legacy would be great -- the most recent one has a lot of outdated stuff still on it and obviously doesn't include the more recent sets. You could also maybe include a section on extremely obscure niche cards, separate from the main section. This could include narrow silver bullets such Tower of the Magistrate or Harmonic Convergence.

Nice article, but I wanted my damn name dropped in 'The Gate' and 'Imperial Painter.'

I'm just playing.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2011
    Middle of Somewhere, Nowhere.

So many players from the LA meta got name-dropped/decklist credited. Good to know that I'm getting my ass kicked by the best.

Also: Zoo list was kinda funky. What would you actually bring the 4th lavamancer in against? Fish?

Optimal Sideboard probably -1 Lavamancer, -1 Pridemage, - 1 Crypt, -2 Mindbreak Trap, +1 Canonist, +2 Ancient Grudge, +2 Price of Progress.
    "The last top 8 slot went to the winner of that Death and Taxes mirror, or as I like to call it, the White Supremacy Mirror.
    "Swiggety Swagtusk, Here comes the Thragtusk!"

In response to "What's the best replacement for Force of Will?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    Modern

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Good God. That is huge. I can hardly comprehend the amount of labor involved in putting together that article. And you had at least something interesting to say about absolutely everything. I got just past White Stax and my brain needs a rest now. I appreciate so many aspects of what you did there.

Carsten, that really is a monster. Well done, sir.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Wooooow, that's big. Excellent article! I can't even imagine how long it took you to put that together.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Can't appreciate that enough. Helps me soooo much with building a gauntlet.

Sep 2010
    Chapel Hill, NC

Woooooooow. Seriously man--thank you. This is a tremendous resource for current and future legacy players worldwide. Truly useful work. Thank you for sharing it with the world.

Cheers,

Pat

Nov 2010
    Nor Cal

This is really great, thanks for the work.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Seems like someone took up Elias's torch
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Jul 2009
    NRW, GER

yay, got namedropped with Spanish Inquisition... there we go, eternity of the internetz!!11!!1

Thanks for the kind words, happy you enjoyed it. And yes, it was quite a lot of work.
    As far as name-dropping is concerned, I can't guarantee the people cited are actually any good (though they probably are, they did win something after all, otherwise I wouldn't have found their lists online). I only made sure to copy lists that looked solid ;)
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Although it's not very statistically significant, I thought this might be interesting: the cards with the most appearances in this article.

188 Brainstorm
    172 Force of Will
    138 Wasteland
    127 Misty Rainforest
    115 Swords to Plowshares
    108 Island
    85 Tarmogoyf
    84 Tropical Island
    80 Thoughtseize
    78 Ponder
    73 Polluted Delta
    71 Daze