Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: GP Amsterdam Top 8

Re: GP Amsterdam Top 8

Quote Originally Posted by Hof View Post
    And Conch Horn.

But why are we having this discussion - why now? Brainstorm is played in control and combo decks and in some aggro-control decks with blue, and it is truly excellent at what it does, but at a cost. There is a reason why aggro decks don't play Brainstorm - even blue aggro decks like Merfolk don't play it, not even Merfolk versions with fetchlands, because it is too slow for this strategy. Unlike, say Mental Misstep which was played in almost every competitive deck there was - control, combo, and aggro alike.
    Why is Brainstorm's fate always tied to the mistake that was Mental Misstep? Discuss the card, what it does, the color it does it in, it's absurd level of usage (23 of 32 ran a full set), how it fixes variance, pulls out mid-game stalls, saves otherwise 'mulliganed' hands etc..

Mental Misstep is it's own discussion.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Hof View Post
    Blue Zoo can hardly be categorized as a Zoo deck, it is much more like Threshold. In fact, Blue Zoo and Ugr Threshold has converged so much that they are practically the same deck now. The only real difference between the two is the amount of stifle/wasteland contra burn.
    That's actually a huge distinction. Thresh is a tempo deck, Blue Zoo is an aggro deck. The latter plays much more aggressively and tends to tap out every turn. Their matchups are pretty different too. Thresh is much more consistent against combo and is worse against Tribal aggro and Maverick, for example. Their lists are about 80% identical, but the differences are actually pretty significant in terms of playstyle, imo.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Does anyone know who the lone Metalworker/MUD player that made day2 of the GP?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

I've just seen the name of the 2nd-placed UGR-deck: Ciro Bonaventura.

That guy is such an asshole, I'm so disappointed he made it so far.
    I played him in the trials and won against him with my Mono-Pox deck.
    He was flaming in Italian all the time and called a judge immediately after a minor mistake that we could have corrected ourselves...

Has anyone made similar experiences?

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Smea.gol.lum View Post

He was flaming in Italian all the time and called a judge immediately after a minor mistake that we could have corrected ourselves...

Yes, I heard he's an unpleasant opponent to play with- A close friend played against him at Ovino6 in Milan reporting your same problems.

Quote Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
    Sure, they *could* ban Brainstorm. In most cases, it would be replaced by Preordain, then in a year, we can start to hear bitching about how broken Preordain is, and how it needs to be banned. Just because Brainstorm is the best at what it does doesn't mean it's broken.
    I don't think so. Preordain is not even remotely as good as Brainstorm, I just hope they are intelligent enough to never ban Brainstorm. Also, Brainstorm may not be ''broken'' but sure it is the strongest card in legacy...
    Last edited by kiblast; 06-12-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I'd hate to see that, but I also would really like to see discard come back as a viable strategy. It's rough trying it right now.

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Smea.gol.lum View Post

I lost to him in the GP and he seemed like a decent guy, but some people are different when losing I guess.

Eh, I'd argue that wasteland is the most powerful card in legacy. Yes, even better than brainstorm (gasp!). Wastelocking someone is quite potent against legacys greedy manabases' and is an absolutely devastating card when you're ahead onboard. It may be a 'fixed' strip mine but it's still incredibly powerful with a lot of people running nonbasics other than fetches in their decks. It's also the reason tempo thresh was ever a deck; going stifle + waste is the most devastating play in legacy against an average hand and is also the reason daze is so good. Sure brainstorm is borderline broken if you play it right but if you misplay with it it can cost you the game (casting it without a shuffle effect and not drawing into a shuffle effect usually means GG's unless you're combo and you find the missing pieces). Do I think brainstorm is banworthy? No. Nonblue decks can still match up evenly or even favorably against blue decks the key examples being loam decks and maverick.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    Eh, I'd argue that wasteland is the most powerful card in legacy. Yes, even better than brainstorm (gasp!).
    Wasteland doesn't fix hands. It punishes poorly designed mana bases (or poor hands), in exchange for you burning your land drop. But the most prominent decks running Wastelands (at the GP and the latest SCG) are using Brainstorm to savagely cheat on mana ... ridiculous setups like 14 color producing lands in decks with UU / BB and G. They can only hope to get setup with the nuttiness that is Brainstorm and fetchlands.

If you just 'like' Brainstorm I think that's fine, it's play preference which is 100% personal opinion. To say (keeping the current banned list in mind) that it isn't ban worthy (KEEPING in mind what's on the banned list right now) is patently false.

So strip mine is bad because it 'burns your land drop'? Wasteland is doubly effective against the greedy decks with brainstorm that you just mentioned where they have spells that cost 2 of one color in multiple colors.

Sure, brainstorm is banworthy. So is lion's eye diamond. So is entomb. So is SFM. So is snapcaster. But should it be banned? That's the question that's trying to be answered right here right now. I'm of the opinion that legacy is better off with brainstorm legal than it is banned.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Nov 2010
    Here!

Wasteland is wicked broken. Brainstorm has been broken since the printing of Onslaught Fetches. All of the cards Dark Ritual just mentioned are broken. If you aren't playing broken cards in legacy, you aren't going to win very many games. If Brainstorm is banned, the next best broken thing will possibly ruin the format.
    Remember, it's only a game, a game dominated by Goblins.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Army View Post
    Wasteland is wicked broken. Brainstorm has been broken since the printing of Onslaught Fetches. All of the cards Dark Ritual just mentioned are broken. If you aren't playing broken cards in legacy, you aren't going to win very many games. If Brainstorm is banned, the next best broken thing will possibly ruin the format.
    As long as it is not a blue thing I'm fine.

Aren't there like a billion "conversation gets derailed by an argument about banning Brainstorm" threads already? For that matter, aren't there even legit threads dedicated to debate about banning Brainstorm/ leaving it legal?
    Bless your heart, we must consider Blue/White Tempo's strategy and win percentages in an entirely different deck thread. -4eak

Eh ... any deck can play Wasteland, any deck can use basic lands. Only decks with Islands get to fix their marginal / bad hands for U. No other color has anything like that (Contract from Below is solid). I'm not necessarily shouting ban Brainstorm, I'd like to see cards that aren't as powerful come off the banned list and let the format breathe for 6-8 months.

- Mind Twist
    - Earthcraft
    - Survival of the Fittest
    - Hermit Druid (maybe ...)

Sadly every deck that played these cards would likely play ... <drum roll> Brainstorm.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Eh ... any deck can play Wasteland, any deck can use basic lands. Only decks with Islands get to fix their marginal / bad hands for U. No other color has anything like that (Contract from Below is solid). I'm not necessarily shouting ban Brainstorm, I'd like to see cards that aren't as powerful come off the banned list and let the format breathe for 6-8 months.

- Mind Twist
    - Earthcraft
    - Survival of the Fittest
    - Hermit Druid (maybe ...)

Sadly every deck that played these cards would likely play ... <drum roll> Brainstorm.
    Hermit is bad for the format because it's a pretty dumb decks that roll a lot of things. With MM out of the format it could be a lot more safe than before (MM countering basically all the cheap forms of removal), but it's still pretty fast and annoying on a lot of hands like petal, land, druid with fow backup next turn i win if you don't have two relevant cards that can be played for 1 (or a lava dart i guess). Imagine the old survival decks that win with G instead of GGGG.
    Survival was pretty busted last year. And it would make Maverick the DTB i guess. Tons of hatebear for combo and then just resolve 1 Survival to roll all form of control. Win against aggro thanks to all the huge monsters that stomp weenies. I bet that'd be a pretty dominant deck. What would beat it?
    Tax and Vise are much safer than anything on your list, really. And sadly they won't be unbanned because they are "unfun" zzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Hermit is bad for the format because it's a pretty dumb decks that roll a lot of things.
    7 card hand.

Getting 2 mana (Petal/ESG) being most card efficient path.
    Resolve Hermit (hopefully using an Island, if it's not an Island you have no Daze).

4 cards left.

Pass turn.

Hope opponent doesn't kill your 1/1 with the dozen or so outs commonly played in legacy, and or/hope 2 of your last four cards are Force and blue.

It seems pretty miserable against quite a few decks. In addition Hermit would end up just being a blue deck anyway, with 4 x Brainstorm to fix openers. So I agree there.

Imagine the old survival decks that win with G instead of GGGG. Survival was pretty busted last year. And it would make Maverick the DTB i guess. Tons of hatebear for combo and then just resolve 1 Survival to roll all form of control. Win against aggro thanks to all the huge monsters that stomp weenies. I bet that'd be a pretty dominant deck. What would beat it?
    Just dealing with SotF; which the SCG blue crowd just flat out refused to do during the 3-4 tourney stretch where Vengevine was "dominating". Nobody played Spell Snare, nobody played main deck grave hate, nobody played Pithing Needle, nobody played Suppression Field, nobody (had) Revoker. You've got Surgical Extraction now as well. They just whined that 'once it resolves I just lose', which was false; they just didn't want to have to have artifact / enchantment removal main deck. SotF was around for like 10 years, and provided a slow road to victory in exchange for burning your second turn (and hoping it resolved). Vengevine made it a faster road to victory.

Tax and Vise are much safer than anything on your list, really. And sadly they won't be unbanned because they are "unfun" zzz.
    Vise is unfun, but a dreadful top deck. Again, a refusal to main deck anything other than the 16 Amigos (Force, Brainstorm, StP, Daze) as a means to stop anything from impeding your plan is what would make Vise good.

Tax isn't unfun, it doesn't interact with your opponent or rape his strategy. It shouldn't take any longer to resolve than an SFM search. As for the Land Tax on the play standoff, it's no more irritating than Standstill. It might open the door for a number mostly white decks (WW, W-prison, etc.). Again sadly ... it makes Brainstorm better, that alone might be a reason to keep it banned.

Anyway, drifting into B&R discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Does anyone know who the lone Metalworker/MUD player that made day2 of the GP?
    I played him day 2.
    I believe the guy is russian, or at least from easteern parts of europe.
    He was a very nice guy and we had an awesome match.

He played 4 karn liberated MD

May 2010
    Florida

Quote Originally Posted by gottfrid View Post
    I played him day 2.
    I believe the guy is russian, or at least from easteern parts of europe.
    He was a very nice guy and we had an awesome match.

He played 4 karn liberated MD
    Its good to hear that a countryman finally topped...
    Titles do not honour men , men honour Titles.

admin of http://magecraftia.com/index.php

Sorry but only now I read this discussion.
    I'm so embittered, I apologize for my angry behavior at the end of the match of gp trial.
    I began to play GPT to test the deck, and when I play against pox deck, I was unhappy, becouse I don't consider pox deck a tier deck. I didn't play the GPT to win, but I played only to test.
    So I apologize for this.
    But I ask you to moderate your words, please.
    Asshole is so rude, asshole.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Cool story and necro.

Thread Information