Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a Doomsday Piles

Aug 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario

Need help with a Doomsday Piles

So i have been thinking of a doomsday deck which uses doomsday and Laboratory Maniac to set up a pile that wins on the same turn you cast doomsday.

Reason why i want to make this possible is that using the emrakul option opens you up to wasteland as well as possibly getting shot down with a moat or other form of prison effect. Also means you aren't running the show and tell which can be a good and bad thing as they are dead without emrakul and don't always win when you have the two together. It is still possible that this may end up being worst but it is good to look into as it is a strong deck in vintage.

Problem is i can't think of any pile that would win the game on the same turn you cast doomsday without having a decent amount of stuff in your hand and i would rather have the deck be able to win without needing any hand if possible.

PS: Not sure if this is the right spot for this as it isn't really about a deck but more of a doomsday pile which a deck could be built around after

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Re: Need help with a Doomsday Piles

Quote Originally Posted by [PMP]Krevvy View Post
    So i have been thinking of a doomsday deck which uses doomsday and Laboratory Maniac to set up a pile that wins on the same turn you cast doomsday.

Reason why i want to make this possible is that using the emrakul option opens you up to wasteland as well as possibly getting shot down with a moat or other form of prison effect. Also means you aren't running the show and tell which can be a good and bad thing as they are dead without emrakul and don't always win when you have the two together. It is still possible that this may end up being worst but it is good to look into as it is a strong deck in vintage.

Problem is i can't think of any pile that would win the game on the same turn you cast doomsday without having a decent amount of stuff in your hand and i would rather have the deck be able to win without needing any hand if possible.

PS: Not sure if this is the right spot for this as it isn't really about a deck but more of a doomsday pile which a deck could be built around after
    any cantrip in hand, 2UUU floating (2UU if that cantrip is Gitaxian Probe):
    Laboratory Maniac, Gitaxian Probe, Brainstorm, any card, any card (probably more probes just to play it safe)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

With any cantrip:

Idea's Unbound
    LED
    Probe
    SDT
    Maniac

Cantrip in IU, IU for LED Probe SDT, cast SDT, cast LED, cast Probe sac LED, draw LM, cast LM, tap SDT.

Cost: UU1 + Cantrip cost.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

A pass the turn pile with maniac would look like this, the mana requirements would vary depending on whether you wanted protection or not (chant/silence is the best protection for maniac or pact of negation)

LED in hand + 2U

Meditate
    Orim's chant/silence
    Lotus Petal
    Laboratory Maniac
    Gitaxian Probe

You obviously lay down LED, cast meditate cracking LED in response for WWW, cast chant/silence, WW floating, lotus petal, crack for blue, maniac, probe targeting yourself/them (this doesn't matter too much). This pile costs a bit much for a pass the turn pile though. It requires that you have either enough mana to cast the meditate or an IU along with needing LED. You can probably find a better pile though since I'm not well versed in making doomsday piles from scratch and the above is a clear example why. Not to mention the above pile loses to any countermagic + removal spell or the opponent countering meditate or LED at which point you have to play draw go for 4 turns and pray that you don't die to a batterskull or something since you halved your life total.

Actually I just thought of a significantly better pile. This one requires you to have only a cantrip in hand. This is a pass the turn pile as well.

LED
    Ideas Unbound
    Dark Ritual
    Gitaxian Probe
    Laboratory Maniac

It only requires UB or B + 2 Life if you have probe as the cantrip to start it up. You can't have a protection spell unless you have enough mana though if you have double LED it becomes quite easy to win then again you won't always have a cantrip + LED in hand at the start of your turn.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Apr 2009
    UK

Out of curiousity, where/when do you see this pile being useful? It seems awfully risky to set up a pile that dies to removal unless you have protection. And if you have protection, why not go for a more traditional pile?

Genuine question, by the way. I'm fairly new to Doomsday.

Nov 2006

I don't think Lab Maniac has any application in a DD list that wins on Tendrils game 1. Some lists exist that don't win on Tendrils, but rather abuse Shelldock Isle/Emrakul (playing 4 Show and Tell and FoW as well), that can board into either Tendrils or Lab Maniac. Maniac might be the choice because it requires less cards.

-Ertai, wizard adept

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Requiem View Post
    Out of curiousity, where/when do you see this pile being useful? It seems awfully risky to set up a pile that dies to removal unless you have protection. And if you have protection, why not go for a more traditional pile?

Genuine question, by the way. I'm fairly new to Doomsday.
    Game 2. Seems better than Emerakul via a Wastelandable Shelldock. Lab Maniac gets around Runed Halo, Leyline Sanctity. They'll have boarded out all spot removal. In addition I have a Russian one.

Nov 2010
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Game 2. Seems better than Emerakul via a Wastelandable Shelldock. Lab Maniac gets around Runed Halo, Leyline Sanctity. They'll have boarded out all spot removal. In addition I have a Russian one.
    My experience has been that no one boards out all of their removal because they would rather have a few dead cards in their deck than no way to interact with out-of-left-field bullshit like Laboratory Maniac, Xantid Swarm, Dark Confidant, etc.

There's another option on piles.

If you play Chromatic Sphere first, then play Maniac and activate Sphere, your opponent can't remove the Maniac in response. It's one more mana than Top, 2 more than probe.
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

2nd Best Explorer in Magic
    Jun 2008
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by mchainmail View Post
    There's another option on piles.

If you play Chromatic Sphere first, then play Maniac and activate Sphere, your opponent can't remove the Maniac in response. It's one more mana than Top, 2 more than probe.
    Why can't your opponent remove it in response?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Voyeur View Post
    Fetches are boring. When someone suddenly gets money, they don't invest it in something practical; they spend it on something lavish like a prostitute/PEZ dispenser.
    A founding member of Team Bluff the Lotus - Bringing the crazy from Bob's Baseball Dugout

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

8/1/2008: This is a mana ability, which means it can be activated as part of the process of cating a spell or activating another ability. If that happens you get the mana right away, but you don't get to look at the drawn card until you have finished casting that spell or activating that ability.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

2nd Best Explorer in Magic
    Jun 2008
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    8/1/2008: This is a mana ability, which means it can be activated as part of the process of cating a spell or activating another ability. If that happens you get the mana right away, but you don't get to look at the drawn card until you have finished casting that spell or activating that ability.
    That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Voyeur View Post
    Fetches are boring. When someone suddenly gets money, they don't invest it in something practical; they spend it on something lavish like a prostitute/PEZ dispenser.
    A founding member of Team Bluff the Lotus - Bringing the crazy from Bob's Baseball Dugout

@OP

Emrakrul has flying, so dont worry about Moat!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Nov 2006

Does this mean that I can have 3 mana floating, crack the Sphere to cast Labratory Maniac and win instantly? That's pretty fucking sick.

-Ertai, wizard adept

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamuth View Post
    Does this mean that I can have 3 mana floating, crack the Sphere to cast Labratory Maniac and win instantly? That's pretty fucking sick.
    Yeah, if this actually works I may have to pick up a Lab Man...
    Lord of the Chalice

Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

I think maniac has to be in play when you crack the sphere, its just you maintain priority after casting and it cant be responded to since it is a mana ability.

Yeah I'm pretty sure chromatic sphere works for instantly winning with maniac. Just please don't try to use chromatic star and you'll be fine since chromatic star's draw is a triggered ability/can be responded to.

Agreed on this probably being more useful in the slower non tendrils doomsday decks though. In a traditional german list or some other lists focused on tendrils to win lab maniac doesn't seem the greatest although this requires testing I guess.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Apr 2007
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamuth View Post
    If you use the Chromatic Sphere to cast Laboratory Maniac you will draw before Maniac enters the battlefield. You need to activate the Sphere while Maniac is on the battlefield, but you can do this without passing priority as soon as he enters the battlefield.

btw "enters the battlefield" is such a long thing to write over and over
    "Don't let your mind wander - it might not come back." -Braids, dementia summoner

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Sorry guys, this doesn't work. You draw the card when you use Chromatic Sphere to cast Laboratory Maniac. At this point though, the Maniac will only be on the stack but not in play.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sorry guys, this doesn't work. You draw the card when you use Chromatic Sphere to cast Laboratory Maniac. At this point though, the Maniac will only be on the stack but not in play.

You crack sphere after casting maniac, obviously.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Thread Information