Thread: [CASUAL/BUDGET] U/G Storm Enchantress

[CASUAL/BUDGET] U/G Storm Enchantress

A Deck like this used to be around, but since it has long been forgotten and the format has changed a lot over the years.... I present a Blue-green (and a little black) enchantress deck.

First of all, this is in the budget/casual section for a reason. It is not Tier 1 or 2, but it might just do the trick at your local small legacy tournament.

The deck:

Lands:
    9 Forest
    4 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest

Drawing Engine:
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Enchantress Presence
    1 Attunement

Tutors:
    2 Wordly Tutor

Mana Enchantments:
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Fertile Ground
    4 Eladamri's Vineyard
    4 Exploration

Combo:
    2 Words of Wind
    4 Cloud of Faeries

Kill:
    1 Brain Freeze
    1 Tendrils of Agony

Other:
    4 Seal of Removal

Sideboard:
    4 Elephant Grass
    3 City of Solitude
    4 Seal of Primordium
    1 Emrakul
    3 Carpet of Flowers

The general idea is to use the first 2-3 turns of the game to find and play your enchantress effects. Then on your 4th turn you'll start using Cloud of Faeries & Seals of Removal to generate large amounts of mana. Eventually you'll run into a Words of Wind.
    Words of wind can then start bouncing Cloud of Faeries for mana and enchantments for cards. You'll draw your deck and use the kill spell of your preference.

Now if you haven't played the deck this might seem like an elaborate plan. If you manage to drop an enchantress effect however, you'll rapidly run into all the cards you may need.

I'll take the time to write out a typical fight with the goldfish (as seen from the goldfish's point of view):

Game one:

1)Forest, Eladamri's Vineyard
    2)Island, Enchantress Presence,Exploration, Island
    3)Presence, Forest, Seal of Removal, Forest, Argothian Enchantress, Eladamri's Vineyard
    4)Forest, Argothian Enchantress, Eladamri's Vineyard, Island, Seal of Removal,Words of Wind, Utopia Sprawl (blue), Utopia Sprawl (blue), Cloud of Faeries, Fertile Ground, Cloud of Faeries, Wild Growth (loop infinite mana/cards with Faeries + Words), Tendrils of Agony.

Game two (I choose not to use my sideboard)

Mulligan (no enchantress/tutor)
    1) Forest, Utopia Sprawl (blue)
    2) Forest, Argothian Enchantress, Eladamri's Vineyard
    3) Island, Argothian Enchantress, Cloud of Faeries, Attunement, Exploration, Island, Bounce Attunement, Discard 4, Cloud of Faeries, Seal of Removal (sac to bounce faeries), Cloud of Faeries, Wild Growth, Seal of Removal (sac to bounce faeries), Cloud of Faeries,Wild Growth, Utopia Sprawl (Green), Utopia Sprawl (Blue), Cloud of Faeries, Argothian Enchantress, Wordly Tutor (for faeries), Fertile Ground, Cloud of Faeries, Seal of Removal, Enchantress Presence, (sac seal to bounce faeries) Cloud of Faeries, Enchantress Presence, Eladamri's Vineyard, Exploration, Forest, Wild Growth, Utopia Sprawl (black), Tendrils of Agony for more than enough.

Ok, I admit, this doesn't happen often. I was rather surprised flipping over that third Cloud of Faeries.

One of the things I like about the deck is that it is better off running basics. Wasteland on your land + 3 auras is really bad.

Another is how some of the combo cards can be good even though you aren't already winning. For example:

T1 Forest, Vineyard
    T2 Island, Argothian, Wild Growth, Exploration, Forest,
    T3 Words of Wind, Island, Exploration (pay 1, bounce the other exploration, repeat, but now bounce Wild Growth) (2 bounces)
    T4 Wild Growth, bounce Exploration, cast Exploration, bounce Wild Growth, cast Wild Growth, bounce Exploration, cast Exploration, bounce Wild Growth. (Thats 4 bounces this turn)

Seal of removal bouncing Emrakul is not uncommon either...

I am currently pondering on:
    Living Wish
    Moving 1 Cloud of Faeries and 1 Argothian Enchantress to the sideboard.
    I'd probably keep Emrakul, Flamewave Invoker, Peacekeeper and Serra's Sanctum for wishing.
    The living wishes would replace 1 Argothian Enchantress, 1 Cloud of Faeries and 2 Wordly Tutors.

I've been toying with the deck for years (it once started out with Squirrel Nest, Opposition and Day of the Dragons). It'd be good for me to get some shiny new ideas.
    Please unleash your thoughts!

Edit: Ok, so the card links don't work, can anyone tell me what I need to do?
    Edit2: So it's [cards] instead of [card]! Thank you John, also, that enchantress deck took off in a different direction. While many cards are the same, that thread focuses more on controlling the board. This deck is more eager to catch that goldfish and can't be bothered digging Moats.

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: [CASUAL/BUDGET] U/G Storm Enchantress

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...e-(Enchantress)
    Seems similar to your idea.
    The card links need [/cards] at the end and [cards] at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cox View Post
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...e-(Enchantress)
    Seems similar to your idea.
    The card links need [/cards] at the end and [cards] at the beginning.
    Furthermore, if you just do <cards> <list your whole deck> </cards> with brackets on the card tags instead of <>'s, the entire list will work without needing to keep repeating the tags.

I'm not sure if it works in quotes but something like this:

4x something
    4x lollertron
    4x Mother of Runes
    //and you can comment lines out
    4x Tarmogoyf
    //and keep going

^ if you quote me you can see how it's written I think.

But the deck itself looks cool, I'd like to see some protection in there though, unless the deck can reliably go off on turn 3 or so or has a resilient back up plan like elves, I wouldn't recommend running no protection of some sort.

@ John, thanks for the tip!

And the other Enchantress thread is more focused on taking control of the board. This one mostly ignores that aspect. (Although I've found myself blocking with an early Cloud of Faeries often enough).

@ Kich867, thanks for the tip on the decklist, that should help out next time.

As for protection, the deck needs a lot of enchantments to work. So it'd be best to find some enchantment-shaped protection.

Maybe some of these could work?
    Counterbalance + Sensei's Divining Top (top works decently with Words of Wind aswell)
    Declaration of Naught (very blue though)
    In The Eye of Chaos (actually pretty mean against many combo decks aswell)
    Lush Growth (yeah, it just removes swamps & islands, but that might do?)
    Essence Flare (you get to play with an awesome piece of art, killing lackeys isn't worth it though)
    Mind Harness (probably better than essence flare most of the time)
    Sea's Claim (unfortunately doesn't work well against most decks at the moment)
    Spreading Seas
    Back to Basics
    Blood Moon

Any ideas on which of the above might have an effect? I personally like those last 2, (especially back to basics because you'll often be able to cast that on turn 2). Do you have any better ideas? I'd like some!
    Last edited by Nameless Two; 11-04-2011 at 05:16 PM.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Might I suggest Overgrowth?
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Thread Information