Thread: NecroSpike

NecroSpike

I am a sucker for Necrologia. Here's my latest attempt to make good use of it in a budget deck. Because Necrologia doesn't care about high CC spells like Ad Nauseam does, this gives me some flexibility on the cards I can include in the deck.

4 Necrologia
    4 Soul Spike
    4 Noxious Revival
    4 Street Wraith
    4 Edge of Autumn
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Brainspoil
    4 Blood Pet
    4 Basal Thrull
    4 Rhystic Tutor
    4 Woodland Cemetery
    16 Swamp

You try to get up to 5 mana and get Necrologia in hand. Blood Pet, Basal Thrull, and Dark Ritual aid the mana, and Brainspoil (transmuted) and Rhystic Tutor aid the tutoring of Necrologia.

You cast Necrologia during your end step and draw as many cards as your life total permits. Hopefully, that includes at least a couple Soul Spikes, Noxious Revivals, Street Wraiths, and Edges of Autumn, and lots of other black cards to pitch to Soul Spike. Cast as many Soul Spikes as you can, pitching the other black cards to pay alternative cost, and then pay the life you gain from them to put them back on top of your library using the life cost of Noxious Revival. Pay more of this life to cycle Street Wraith, or sacrifice your tapped lands to cycle Edge of Autumn, in order to draw the Soul Spike that you just placed back on top of your library. Hopefully, you're able to do this enough times to reduce your opponent's life total to zero.

The deck could be made more resilient against control by removing some of the mana acceleration and adding in black discard.

I know it has its flaws, but it's fun to do.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

Re: NecroSpike

Use Cabal Ritual rather than Blood Pet or Basal Thrull. You're able to use it in the end step, it's black and it's actually a mana boost like Dark Ritual. If you like, you could also run Elvish Spirit Guide in place of either forementioned creature. It's green, so it doesn't pitch to Soul Spike, but I think you'll be fine. A mana boost can be critical in order to resolve a Necrologia as early as possible.

Also, there has to be a better tutor than Rhystic... I'd even prefer Diabolic Tutor. Even though it costs B more to cast, it's still not as risky. Otherwise, playing tall men, Culling the Weak and Diabolic Intent could be a possibility.

I like the idea though
    "You're English is terrible and inconsistent."

-DownSyndromeKarl

Re: NecroSpike

I'm thinking about fitting in Nourishing Shoal and Iname As One to pitch to it.

Thread Information