Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Motherf'n Treefolk!

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

[Deck] Motherf'n Treefolk!

Aww hell son, is that some Legacy Treefolk? Yeah. Yeah it is.

3 Murmuring Bosk
    1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Savannah
    6 Forest
    1 Horizon Canopy
    4 Treefolk Harbinger
    2 Dungrove Elder
    3 Leaf-Crowned Elder
    2 Doran, the Siege Tower
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Bayou
    2 Wickerbough Elder
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Woodfall Primus
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Pernicious Deed
    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Windswept Heath
    2 Maelstrom Pulse

So yeah, clearly not tier1, but silly enough to be fun and decent once it gets rolling. The main issue is that most of the guys are pretty high CMC, and while they can get bonkers together, they're pretty unimpressive on their own.

I thought about Hierarch to ramp out guys/GSZ, but I also wanted some kind of discard, so I opted for Explorer/Therapy. Explorer helps to ramp more reliably, plays nice with deed, and pumps Dungrove. Therapy is also fun with Woodfall Primus for nuking all kinds of stuff, and Harbinger is also a good sac outlet since it's basically just a chump blocker once in play.

Just from some initial testing, Leaf-Crowned Elder is completely nuts if he stays in play. With Top/Harbinger, you can pretty much guarantee an activation every turn, which is like Bob on steroids. In fact, I might cut the 2nd Doran for a 4th, since Doran is more of a finisher, and there are plenty of ways to tutor him up when you need him.

I'll probably never actually put this together or play it, but whatever, Treefolk deserve their day in the (casual) spotlight. Suggestions always welcome regardless.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Re: [Deck] Motherf'n Treefolk!

Just realized I can put this together for less than $50. Totally running it at the next local event.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Maybe you could try something like Mirri's Guile or Sylvan Library so that you aren't tying up mana for the top effect.
    Hill Giant means business.

Blub.
    Oct 2010
    Germany

the little Brother of a friend of mine plays a Mono Green Version with 4 Mirri's Guile.

The Deck sometimes can really own you, the only nonbasic is dryad arbor, and a Wordly Tutor ( and Treefolk Harbinger ) Tutorbox and a Green Sun's Zenith Tutorbox.

Also, a lot of of indestructible Trees laugh about Tarmogoyfs and Lightning Bolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Are you guys fucking serious? Like really?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by kusumoto View Post
    Maybe you could try something like Mirri's Guile or Sylvan Library so that you aren't tying up mana for the top effect.
    Guile might work since it also triggers during upkeep. One thing I like about top though is its ability to dodge deed, which I am debating cutting the 4th Zenith to add a 3rd of.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Dustin has a legacy deck very similar to this that I was playing against on Cockatrice once upon a time.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I'm a huge fan of janky decks that do insane things as long as they have time to durdle around for 5-6 turns.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

At one time, I was using tribal Shamans in these colors with Doran. I ended up using Wolf-Skull Shaman and Vampire Nighthawk which both fall in-line with your tribal card advantage theme. Nighthawk in particular was a mid-range all-star against anything resembling aggro. He's better with Doran but just fine on his own.

Wolf-Skull Shaman clogged up the board nicely, and the best part was that he curved out nicely. I would be looking for turn 1 Birds into turn 2 Doran, or turn 1 Harbinger, turn 2 WSS, turn 3 Doran. I was only using 2 Tops, but I found I was getting a lot of kinship activations simply from having like 26 shamans in the deck.

Rough list:

4x Birds of Paradise
    4x Treefolk Harbinger
    4x Wolf-Skull Shaman
    4x Leaf Crowned Elder
    4x Doran, the Siege Tower
    4x Vampire Nighthawk
    2x Eternal Witness
    2x Wickerbough Elder
    2x Ashling the Extinguisher
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Sensei's Divining Top
    2x Crime//Punishment
    22x lands

It was a casual/budget legacy deck that was fun but not really competitive. It scratched the aggro itch I got occasionally.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Dustin has a legacy deck very similar to this that I was playing against on Cockatrice once upon a time.
    Damnit I should have known better than to spoil my new super-secret tech on the Source before the tournament!

@Safety: You're missing the point man! Treefolk = awesome. Shamans = lamesauce.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Damnit I should have known better than to spoil my new super-secret tech on the Source before the tournament!

@Safety: You're missing the point man! Treefolk = awesome. Shamans = lamesauce.
    yep, meta-gaming my brew as we speak... ;)

and judging by your description of decks you like (durdle-durdle-vomit-win)... shouldn't you be more of a fan of stax or stompy?

seriously though, it doesn't look like fun to play. always interesting to take wacky things like this that people just aren't expecting - provided you aren't playing against fast combo, you'll get some free ones just because of that.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Nah, Stax is more like "do stuff, durdle, durdle, durdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdledurdle, draw."

Does or doesn't look like fun? Eating someone's hand and board with Therapy and a free Woodfall Primus is pretty fun.

Anyway, not sure if I can run it this weekend or not, depends on whether StrikeZone gets my Harbingers here on time. That card was disturbingly hard to find.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I could have mailed you 4 Harbingers and you could have had them already...

Many apologies for not being cool enough by tainting my deck with non-Treefolk...

I'm diggin' the SDT + LCE synergy.
    Brainstorm Realist

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

The only shaman that's cool enough to hang with my Ents is Thrun, because dude keeps to himself. I need to add a Phyrexian Tower and possibly a Mortarpod, to have more sac outlets for Explorer. Also need to remember not to give opponents the opportunity to off him on their turn.

Other than that the deck is not as terrible as it looks at first glance. It does have an awkward gap in the curve between 1 and 3. I guess I could steal from Nic Fit and run a MD Ooze, Goyf, or Wall of Awesomes.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Brainstorm Realist

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Yeah he was originally in the list, just never seemed to be worth much other than chump blocking. Most of the time I'm either putting guys into play via GSZ or Kinship

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Yeah he was originally in the list, just never seemed to be worth much other than chump blocking. Most of the time I'm either putting guys into play via GSZ or Kinship
    Maybe a one-shot of Noble Hierarch and Birds of Paradise to make a turn 2 GSZ a little more valuable then? If you're not getting a turn 2 Doran, a turn 3 LCE seems just as good.
    Brainstorm Realist

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Needs more Wood Elemental.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    Needs more Wood Elemental.
    Only if we can petition WotC to errata him to be a Treefolk, since he OBVIOULSY is one.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

SUPER IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I am either extremely awesome, or extremely lame:

Probably the latter.

Thread Information