Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Motherf'n Treefolk!

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Re: [Deck] Motherf'n Treefolk!

I've always had a weak spot for Treefolk in my heart.

Why don't you have any love for, say, Unstoppable Ash (seems like a perfect fit for recycling Treefolk Harbingers - oh if only it had Flash! ;)) or Dauntless Dourbark? I do acknowledge that Hexproof is awesome, but more P/T and trample could be the better deal, don't you think?

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Chameleon Colossus?
    He's a Zombie Treefolk! =]
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Apr 2012
    WI

Why not just go all out on the card draw potential and add in Sapling of Colfenor? Him plus leaf-crowned elder should be a ton of card draw.

Or splash dark confidant himself. This is part black.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

I say go linear, and CA:

4 Treefolk Harbinger
    4 Mul Daya Channeler
    4 Dungrove Elder
    4 Leaf-Crowned Elder
    4 Wolf-Skull Shaman
    4 Skinshifter
    4 Heartwood Storyteller
    4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    4 Treefolk Harbinger
    4 Bosk Banneret
    3 Sapling of Colfenor

4 Cavern of Souls
    13 Forest

This maximizes the richness of draw, and the power / Toughness per mana plus the CA of Heartwood Storyteller, Wolf-Skull Shaman, Sapling of Colfenor ...

It also explores the shaman portion of Leaf-Crowned Elder ability a bit more.

With the printing or Terminus thifs could be a dud, but you never know. There is a lot of cool little things this list can do. I mean it IS Motherf'n Treefolk though.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Eight Treefolk Harbinger might be a bit of a problem though, with the rules and all that... ;)

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

...an updated version.

4 AEther Vial
    3 Descendants' Path

4 Leaf-Crowned Elder
    4 Treefolk Harbinger
    4 Heartwood Storyteller
    4 Dungrove Elder
    4 Mul Daya Channelers
    1 Woodfall Primus
    2 Wickerbough Elder
    3 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    4 Wolf-Skull Shaman
    3 Bosk Banneret

16 Forest
    4 Cavern of Souls

...it's actually pretty nasty.

Edit:One thing to keep in mind is Descendants' Path is a very powerful card. It provides richness of draw (placing non-beatz on the bottom. It casts fatties for free... so it's pretty insane in the right deck.

Also, one card that is teetering in and out of this build is Elvish Piper when played you can up the Woodfall Primuss to just (hopefully) dominate the board either through pipering of Leaf-Crowned / Path triggers.

Apr 2012
    WI

This deck is starting to look very fun. Turning things sideways and drawing cards = exactly what I look for in a fun deck.

Props on descendents path + woodfall primus. I bet harbinger becomes a great topdeck after finding path.

Jan 2012
    Texas

I know Ive posted this deck on this site before, but anyways. Three color Treefolk Control updated with the new RTR set coming out.

Mainboard
    4 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    3 Mumuring Bosk
    5 Forest
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Misty Rainforest

4 Treefolk Harbinger
    4 Dungrove Elder
    2 Doran, The Siege Tower
    2 Leaf-Crowned Elder
    4 Dauntless Dourbark
    4 Timber Protector

4 Swords To Plowshare
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Vindicate
    2 Maelstrom Pulse

1 Sylvan Library
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Green Sun's Zenith

1 Steely Resolve

Sideboard
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Planar Void
    2 Aegis of Honor
    2 Life from the Loam
    1 Vindicate
    3 Engineered Plague
    2 Summoning Trap
    1 Woodfall Primus

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

First of all, I just wanna put it out there it made me happy to see another fun tribal deck, especially treefolk.

Someone should make this for Tribe Wars! (see my beast tribal post /shamelessplug)

Also, anyone run Unstoppable Ash? He is probably nuts with Doran in play, or is Champion a treefolk too much CDA?
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostfire86 View Post
    I know Ive posted this deck on this site before, but anyways. Three color Treefolk Control updated with the new RTR set coming out.

Mainboard
    4 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    3 Mumuring Bosk
    5 Forest
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Misty Rainforest

4 Treefolk Harbinger
    4 Dungrove Elder
    2 Doran, The Siege Tower
    2 Leaf-Crowned Elder
    4 Dauntless Dourbark
    4 Timber Protector

4 Swords To Plowshare
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Vindicate
    2 Maelstrom Pulse

1 Sylvan Library
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Green Sun's Zenith

1 Steely Resolve

Sideboard
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Planar Void
    2 Aegis of Honor
    2 Life from the Loam
    1 Vindicate
    3 Engineered Plague
    2 Summoning Trap
    1 Woodfall Primus
    A couple thoughts:
    1. I'd run 3 or 4 GSZ because GSZ for Doran turns those 0/3's into 3/3's, and if you already have Doran out, then GSZ for Leaf-Crowned Elder for CA.
    2.Vindicates AND Pulses when you already have Abrupt Decay? I understand you'd want to deal with Planeswalkers and Maze of Ith, but I think more pressure is just better, so I'd cut some number of them.
    3.Steely Resolve is completely random as a 1-of. It's better to just SB it for when you need it and add the 2nd Library. Library is really good vs. UW Miracles, and when you get into topdeck mode, Library will really help you over the coming turns, too!

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostfire86 View Post

Mainboard
    4 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    3 Mumuring Bosk
    5 Forest
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Misty Rainforest

4 Treefolk Harbinger
    4 Dungrove Elder
    2 Doran, The Siege Tower
    2 Leaf-Crowned Elder
    4 Dauntless Dourbark
    4 Timber Protector

4 Swords To Plowshare
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Vindicate
    2 Maelstrom Pulse

1 Sylvan Library
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Green Sun's Zenith

1 Steely Resolve

Sideboard
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Planar Void
    2 Aegis of Honor
    2 Life from the Loam
    1 Vindicate
    3 Engineered Plague
    2 Summoning Trap
    1 Woodfall Primus
    Two problems here. First, you have basically no business at 2, and really not much at 1, so your curve is all out of whack without acceleration. Second, Leaf-Crowned Elder is probably the best Treefolk out there, so you want to maximize him and also the number of other Treefolk in the deck so you can activate him reliably.

I would drop Pulse and Vindicate and probably the singleton Steely Resolve, and add either some kind of ramp like mana dorks or Veteran Explorer or Bosk Banneret. Also Dungrove is way better than Dourbark, IMO.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Freggle View Post
    List
    Quote Originally Posted by godofallu View Post
    I bet harbinger becomes a great topdeck after finding path.

You're absolutely right when Treefolk Harbinger comes into play his ability goes on top of the stack on top of any remaining Descendants' Path triggers or Leaf-Crowned Elder triggers. This allows you to trick into play answers.

This version is nastier than all the cards look. It can regularly take down zoo, and is just below even with enchantress. The enchantress MU comes down to well timed primus's and wicherbough's and /or early Heartwoods. IT wrecks a lot of control too.

Haven't played that list against much else.

[b]Edit:[/cards] there is an even more up to date list that sports Rootgrapple. I'll post it when I have access to it.

Jan 2012
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Two problems here. First, you have basically no business at 2, and really not much at 1, so your curve is all out of whack without acceleration. Second, Leaf-Crowned Elder is probably the best Treefolk out there, so you want to maximize him and also the number of other Treefolk in the deck so you can activate him reliably.

I would drop Pulse and Vindicate and probably the singleton Steely Resolve, and add either some kind of ramp like mana dorks or Veteran Explorer or Bosk Banneret. Also Dungrove is way better than Dourbark, IMO.
    This deck is actually very stable on land drops and the mana curve works just fine with the play style that this deck requires. The main objective is to control board directly while making key creature drops onto the field.

Against an unprepared deck I can pop off Doran on turn 3 and swing for 6 damage with two Treefolk Harbingers (proper start hand would be 1-2 Treefolk Harbingers, 2-3 Land, 1 GSZ-Optional, 1 Doran-Optional).
    *Optional based on arrangement of Harbingers VS Land
    If you want to drop Doran turn 2 then run 1 Dryad Arbor to your land list and use GSZ to fetch turn 1.

While I will agree the Leaf-Crown Elder is ONE of the best treefolk cards its purpose to accelerate drops, but as you can see i run a much lower creature count than most Tribal Aggro and therefore would not gain FULL POTENTIAL of this creature. Understand the I speak from experience becuase I did run 4 copies of him at one point in which did not help keep pressure on my opponent when I top deck land or spell. This leads my deck to nothing more than heartache by giving unnecessary information to my opponent about potential future plays. It would in most cases only have a descent sized blocker that gets spell killed at first chance or bounced with JaceTMS before my upkeep will occur.

The single copy of Steely Resolve actually serves a purpose but one that is not an excessive concern of mine. Shroud to all my creatures that hit the field is great expecially when it protects Doran from Karakas (another card that is usually ran as a 1-2 of).

The problem that I personally see with most treefolk creatures and treefolk decks is that they are piled high with great defensive capabilities, but fail in the department of offensive capability. Doran is the exception to the rule because of his unique ability to turn this problem into an advantage. This also makes him the biggest target in the deck. You can run a deck with 4 copies of Doran but run into the problem of hitting dead draws unless the one on field dies.

Jan 2012
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpoe View Post
    A couple thoughts:
    1. I'd run 3 or 4 GSZ because GSZ for Doran turns those 0/3's into 3/3's, and if you already have Doran out, then GSZ for Leaf-Crowned Elder for CA.
    2.Vindicates AND Pulses when you already have Abrupt Decay? I understand you'd want to deal with Planeswalkers and Maze of Ith, but I think more pressure is just better, so I'd cut some number of them.
    3.Steely Resolve is completely random as a 1-of. It's better to just SB it for when you need it and add the 2nd Library. Library is really good vs. UW Miracles, and when you get into topdeck mode, Library will really help you over the coming turns, too!
    1. While GSZ is great at pulling Harbingers, Doran, and Dungrove for a fairly cheap price everything else becomes expensive at that point. At that point in the game I am mnost likely to be devastating the oppositions board and swinging in massive damage into the holes I make.

2. Abrupt Decay is an awesome removal that takes out so many targets. To think that I would run Go for the Thraot, Path to Exile, or Doomblade in its place would be insane. Before the addition to Abrupt Decay it was necissary to run these in addition to Vindicate and/or Mealstrom Pulse. Why should the pressence of Abrupt Decay make any difference. The fact that I can remove most Permanents on the field honestly fits the direction of treefolk. Woodfall Primus, and Rootgrapple are prime examples of this. Green also has the addition to Beast Within, but I honestly don't like the "potential" drawback of the 3/3 beast.

3. Steely Resolve I have already mentioned in the prior post, but its not a random inculsion. It serves a purpost, however, running multiples leads to the potential for a dead draw once one is in place. The lack of it in play does not delay me since Dungrove has Hexproof and is a very reliable source of "Pressure".

This deck has been a constant build over many of years and if it was not for the case that it HAS proven itself in my local match ups then maybe I would be more concerned about the arrangements of my decklist. This would never be a deck to take to Grand Pre, but for lower level tournements it works just fine. Rogue Decks always make a mess of the opposition anyways because they never expect it.

Hi !

I play a list similar to freggle's with 3 Ulvenwald Tracker in place of bannerets.
    He is a shaman for kinship and he does wonders w/ treefolks or channelers.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

Is this more for competitve treefolk lists? I've had a mono-green list I've been kicking around in casual for awhile thats been doing pretty well. I'm still twinking some spots though.

23 Forests

3 Descendant's Path
    3 Rootgrapple

4 Treefolk Harbinger
    4 Bosk Banneret
    3 Heartwood Storyteller
    4 Dungrove Elder
    4 Dauntless Dourbark
    4 Leaf-Crown Elder
    4 Wickerbough Elder
    2 Timber Protector
    1 Orchard Warden
    1 Sapling of Colfenor

I've been wanting to cut the Sapling, because I never really want to see it, nor do I ever tutor for it. I might throw the 4th Storyteller back in its place. Or a Woodfall Primus, but he doesn't really do a whole lot for me. I was running 3 WE, but my playgroup just has too much artifact/enchantments floating around (one person plays a UW 'Theft' deck with Control Magic, Ghostly Prisons, Angels with equipment, etc). It's been pretty fun slamming people with 20/20 Trampling, Indestructible Trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Jan 2012
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Anarky87 View Post
    Is this more for competitve treefolk lists? I've had a mono-green list I've been kicking around in casual for awhile thats been doing pretty well. I'm still twinking some spots though.

23 Forests

3 Descendant's Path
    3 Rootgrapple

4 Treefolk Harbinger
    4 Bosk Banneret
    3 Heartwood Storyteller
    4 Dungrove Elder
    4 Dauntless Dourbark
    4 Leaf-Crown Elder
    4 Wickerbough Elder
    2 Timber Protector
    1 Orchard Warden
    1 Sapling of Colfenor

I've been wanting to cut the Sapling, because I never really want to see it, nor do I ever tutor for it. I might throw the 4th Storyteller back in its place. Or a Woodfall Primus, but he doesn't really do a whole lot for me. I was running 3 WE, but my playgroup just has too much artifact/enchantments floating around (one person plays a UW 'Theft' deck with Control Magic, Ghostly Prisons, Angels with equipment, etc). It's been pretty fun slamming people with 20/20 Trampling, Indestructible Trees.
    I would drop the sapling of colfenor and replace it with a 3rd timber protector. Same on the casting cost so it does nothing to your mana conditions and grants indestructible to all your treefolks instead of just the one having it. Also it adds some muscle to your trees as well.

Between the 3 descendant's path and the 4 leaf-crowned elders droping 1 wickerbough elder for 1 woodfall primus would be ideal. Hard casting woodfall primus takes time but you have plenty to this to sneak him into play.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

As a random necro and for the luls, I took my Treefolk to our LGS FNM for Modern and ended up going 3-0-1. The draw came from my friend in the 4th round who was playing B/r Reanimator, though we played for fun and I went 2-1 against him, conceding the first game on purpose. My list wasn't much different from my casual one in that I went -1 SoC for +1 HS, just to lower my curve some and added a SB. Had a lot of fun, and the looks on people's faces getting slammed for 15-20 from Dourbark was well worth it. Not that the competition was that tough, mostly people trying to break into Modern with homebrews. I played against a UB Megrim/Underworld Dreams deck (2-0), a U/g ramp deck that used Polymorph to fetch Eldrazi (2-0), Mono G Tron (2-1), and then drew against B/r Reanimator (2-1 just for fun).

So if your FNM's are kinda laid back, I'd suggest throwing down some Trees! The best part of the night was the store owner who after the tournament asked what I ended up playing. I said, "Mono G Treefolk" and he just stared at me for 10 seconds without saying a word.

SB:
    4 Chalice of the Void (for Path)
    4 Graffdigger's Cage (Mostly for my friend, but totally shut out the U/g guy as well)
    4 Noxious Revival (for removal on my Dourbark)
    2 Tormod's Crypt (for friend)
    1 Forest (Needed something else to make it 15)
    Last edited by Anarky87; 03-30-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Anarky87 View Post
    As a random necro and for the luls, I took my Treefolk to our LGS FNM for Modern and ended up going 3-0-1. The draw came from my friend in the 4th round who was playing B/r Reanimator, though we played for fun and I went 2-1 against him, conceding the first game on purpose. My list wasn't much different from my casual one in that I went -1 SoC for +1 HS, just to lower my curve some and added a SB. Had a lot of fun, and the looks on people's faces getting slammed for 15-20 from Dourbark was well worth it. Not that the competition was that tough, mostly people trying to break into Modern with homebrews. I played against a UB Megrim/Underworld Dreams deck (2-0), a U/g ramp deck that used Polymorph to fetch Eldrazi (2-0), Mono G Tron (2-1), and then drew against B/r Reanimator (2-1 just for fun).

So if your FNM's are kinda laid back, I'd suggest throwing down some Trees! The best part of the night was the store owner who after the tournament asked what I ended up playing. I said, "Mono G Treefolk" and he just stared at me for 10 seconds without saying a word.

SB:
    4 Chalice of the Void (for Path)
    4 Graffdigger's Cage (Mostly for my friend, but totally shut out the U/g guy as well)
    4 Noxious Revival (for removal on my Dourbark)
    2 Tormod's Crypt (for friend)
    1 Forest (Needed something else to make it 15)
    I just realized I never congratulated you on your finish. I enjoyed reading this and hope to read more. I'll sleeve up your list and see how it feels.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

Thanks. I really had to convince myself to play it the entire car ride there. I think the best moment was in round 2 when my opponent had Polymorph'd 2 tokens into Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and Blightsteel Colossus only for them to end up chump blocking my Dourbark. And after I won the 2nd game, he told me that he had no answer to Graffdigger's Cage as he didn't expect it.

I have a lot of fun playing the deck casually, so it was even more fun to see it do so well.

Edit: Include the list:

23 Forest

4 Treefolk Harbinger
    4 Bosk Banneret
    4 Heartwood Storyteller
    4 Dungrove Elder
    4 Leaf-Crowned Elder
    4 Dauntless Dourbark
    4 Wickerbough Elder
    2 Timber Protector
    1 Orchard Warden

3 Descendants' Path
    3 Rootgrapple
    Last edited by Anarky87; 04-06-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Added list

Thread Information