Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Deck] Motherf'n Treefolk!

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Re: [Deck] Motherf'n Treefolk!

Quote Originally Posted by Anarky87 View Post
    Thanks. I really had to convince myself to play it the entire car ride there. I think the best moment was in round 2 when my opponent had Polymorph'd 2 tokens into Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre and Blightsteel Colossus only for them to end up chump blocking my Dourbark. And after I won the 2nd game, he told me that he had no answer to Graffdigger's Cage as he didn't expect it.

I have a lot of fun playing the deck casually, so it was even more fun to see it do so well.

Edit: Include the list:

23 Forest

4 Treefolk Harbinger
    4 Bosk Banneret
    4 Heartwood Storyteller
    4 Dungrove Elder
    4 Leaf-Crowned Elder
    4 Dauntless Dourbark
    4 Wickerbough Elder
    2 Timber Protector
    1 Orchard Warden

3 Descendants' Path
    3 Rootgrapple
    Just built this online last night for $27 TOTAL, and I'm having tons of fun with it. Sideboard included.

Currently better in Modern than in Legacy, but I'll tweak some things and see if I can't get this good list any better.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

Wow, that's not bad. I think I spent $27 getting just the Dourbarks and Timber Protectors (only ones I could find were foil, so woot I guess). I've been keeping my eye open for things to tweak my list with. So far I came across Sheltering Ancient, Deadwood Treefolk, and Everbark Shaman. Sheltering Ancient seemed cool because it provides some quick beatdowns, but if no opponent controls a creature, it's a dead card. I've thought about running the Deadwood Treefolk before as a 1-of to get back Dourbarks or whatnot that get destroyed earlier in the game, but 6 is pretty steep. Everbark Shaman seemed pretty interesting as it allows you to turn your dead Treefolks into deck thinning so that you're more likely to hit on LCE and Descendants' Path. It also gives Dungrove Elder +2/+2. But I'm not sure about any of these. Also, these are just some changes I would make to my casual list. Not sure what I'd do to 'Legacy' it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I am working on pimping my Ents with non-foil Russian. Harbingers are turning out to be a real bitch to find.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I am working on pimping my Ents with non-foil Russian. Harbingers are turning out to be a real bitch to find.
    This sounds awesome. Got pics?

Jun 2013
    France

Casual tournament test

Hi guys,

I plan to play a treefolk deck in a casual tournament next week. The level should me rather low and the metagame creature based, but you never know !

Here is the list I'm working on:

// Lands
    4 [V12] Murmuring Bosk
    4 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
    15 [8E] Forest (3)

// Creatures
    3 [ARC] Wickerbough Elder
    3 [10E] Birds of Paradise
    4 [GTW] Dauntless Dourbark
    1 [MOR] Unstoppable Ash
    2 [V11] Doran, the Siege Tower
    4 [LRW] Treefolk Harbinger
    2 [LRW] Timber Protector
    4 [MOR] Leaf-Crowned Elder
    4 [FUT] Heartwood Storyteller
    4 [MOR] Bosk Banneret
    1 [CMD] Deadwood Treefolk
    1 [MGD] Dungrove Elder

// Spells
    1 [LRW] Rootgrapple
    1 [MOR] Reach of Branches
    2 [AVR] Descendants' Path

// Sideboard

// with tower defense:
    SB: 1 [V11] Doran, the Siege Tower
    // burn ??
    SB: 2 [LRW] Changeling Hero
    // flying
    SB: 3 [GTC] Tower Defense
    // removal
    SB: 4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    // end game
    SB: 1 [CMD] Footbottom Feast
    // end game
    SB: 1 [DKA] Gravepurge
    //threats
    SB: 3 [GPX] Maelstrom Pulse

The list is clothe to the one from Anarky87 in modern format, but I added the Doran plan. It is really able to win several games, and enables the first turn tempos: bird, banneret and hardbringer to be true threats in the midgames.

I didn't find any way to get rid of the birds beacause I need mana early. Deathrite Shaman can be casted over a leaf crowned elder but is too situational, imho.

I like the little toolbox for a late hardbringer, the early one nearly always fetches a banneret.

What do you think guys ?
    Last edited by amaury-guy; 11-24-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

How'd the tournament turn out for you? If you even ended up playing some Trees. I haven't been able to play my Treefolk in another tournament, but I'd really like to
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Jun 2013
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Anarky87 View Post
    How'd the tournament turn out for you?
    Not too bad actuelly. In ended in semifinals (that was a casual tournament) against a B/U faerie rogue deck. It got stomped the first game, and then didn't find any [CARD]Tower defense[/CARDS]. I should maybe have mulliganed.

In another game, I didn't manage to get rid of a Vampire Nocturnus.

And even a Cloudcrown Oak fetchable with hardbringer doesn't seem enough to restrain a flying strike force.

For future developpement, I was thinking about adding 1 or 2 more Dorans maindeck, with a Cloudcrown Oak and a few anti-creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by amaury-guy View Post
    For future developpement, I was thinking about adding {...} and a few anti-creatures.
    I've seen no mention in this thread of Lignify; Seems like it make some of the nastier guys manageable.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I know we try to keep most of the development on this deck top-secret, but since it's not actually out yet I figured we could discuss Evolutionary Leap out in the open. It's pretty good with Harbinger, and could possibly even convince me to return to previous Veteran Explorer fueled builds of the deck.

Also, we should talk about how disappointing it is that Kin-Tree Invocation creates a Spirit Warrior and not a Spirit Treefolk.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Hello,

First of all sorryt for the Necro,

I'm developing a treefolk deck (although itˇs for modern format I think it could be really playable in legacy too).

Mi list now is:

4 Leaf-Crowned Elder
    4 Dungrove Elder
    3 Doran, the Siege Tower
    4 Dauntless Dourbark
    4 Treefolk Harbinger
    4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    4 spellskite
    4 Birds of paradise
    8 Forest
    4 Murmuring Bosk
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Overgrown Tomb
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Nameless inversión
    3 tower defense
    3 assault formation

What do you think?

I'm having problems with burn decks and with ones with fast combos. Any suggestions? Lot of thanks

PS: I've forgotten how to put card tags here. If somebody can remember me i'll update my list with tags.

Jun 2013
    France

Very difficult to play this deck in legacy with the extreme aggro and control decks around.

I love spellskite in this deck !

What about thorn of amethyst and basilisk collar ?

I ended third over 15 players with a similar deck in modern format, beating a great abzan control, but getting stomped buy burn.

Cheers

Jun 2013
    France

Re: [Deck] Motherf'n Treefolk! in commander

C16 added two interesting commanders with partner:

Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa
    and
    Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper

I will work on a Motherf'n Treefolk style Commander with these two. Any building/inclusion ideas ?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Well according to this, there are 69 cards with subtype Treefolk:

http://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3A%...ame&v=card&p=4

So you really just need to find 5-6 to cut.

Sorry to Necro this old thread. I have been dared to play Treefolk at our local legacy weeklies and try and get 4-0, just for some glory and bragging rights. It's reasonably competitive, mostly tier 1/2 decks and mostly very fair. This is what I'm thinking of putting together, what are peoples thoughts? I'm thinking of adding some decays, likely cutting hymns. The core of the deck has to be treefolk, and Doran has to be played. The two indomitable ancients in the board also have to be there.

4 Cavern
    2 Murmuring Bosk
    3 bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Forest
    1 Swamp
    4 Verdant
    1 Savannah
    4 Misty

2 Doran
    1 Wickerbough
    1 Unstoppable Ash
    1 Timber Protector
    4 Leaf Crown Elder
    1 Dungrove Elder
    4 Bosk Banneret
    1 Rootgrapple
    1 Reach the Branches
    1 Dauntless Dourbark
    4 Treefolk Harbinger
    1 Deadwood Treefolk
    1 Heartwood Storyteller

4 DRS
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn
    4 GSZ

Sideboard
    3 Surgical
    3 Duress
    4 Chalice
    2 Indominitable Ancient
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Chains

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I always thought Doran with Ensnaring Bridge would be pretty cool.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I always thought Doran with Ensnaring Bridge would be pretty cool.
    I always thought Spellskite and Doran made for a fun combination.

Thread Information